SD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kendra

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nashville
Houdini,
Thanks. No, that's exactly where the hole is on mine. I think he may have told me this or it said in the instructions (yes, I read them, Trog). It IS true, though, that the atomizers are difficult to fit on, but I am able to get the hole down to there. My own 901 atomizers were wider (by a hair) than the ones that came with his. Even so, though, I'm pretty sure I got a connection because it worked a teeny bit for a little while.
thanks for the help, though! :)

Kendra

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nashville
I'm back to wondering if it's a battery issue afterall. Help me quick! It's all packed to go back and I already printed a shipping label!

The batteries I got from radio shack are only 400mAH. The charger is only 700mAh. On Radio Sahck's website, the listing says 1400 mAh, but the batteries themselves say 400. Also, the reviewers on that site say the same thing I'm saying.

So, that looks like the 400 is lower than the 1000 Trog uses. But, since I don't really understand what mAh is, maybe it doesn't even matter.

So, if Trog's charger came broken and all my batteries are dead except for the ones that I just bought from Radio Shack (which might be too low to work and the charger from radio shack, even if it works, only charges to 700 mAh rather than 1000), how do I know it's not the batteries?

Any ideas? I also have an unrelated battery question I'm going to post on a new thread!

Kendra

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
I am having a problem getting mine to work as well. Is there a fix for this?

There seems to be a lot of inconsistency in production of atomizers. If you look at the bottom of your atomizer (where it screws into the SD), there's a flat disk. Sometimes the disk is just a teeny-tiny bit too recessed to make good contact. I took an eyeglasses screwdriver (very small and thin) and VERY gently worked the flat part of the eyeglasses screwdriver underneath the disk around the edges and lifted it up just a tad . . . and VERY gently. That seemed to be good enough for it to make contact when screwed into the SD.

Please note frequent use of the word "GENTLY." ;) Pull up too hard, and I'm quite sure you'll do something terrible to the atomizer. :)

Kendra

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nashville
Oh gosh. . . listen to what just happened. I handed my package (to Trog) to my mail carrier. She handed me the dealextreme package so I asked for my package back, thinking i'd try jus tone more time just in case I was right and it's a battery issue.

So, I charged my batteries (at least enough for the light to turn green). AND, I decided to test the silver (trog's) atomizer with my own 901 batteries. It got so so so hot, I burned my finger (blister). And, the battery started smoking or vaping out of the bottom near the light and the light flashed green. So, I immediately unscrewed it with my shirt since I couldn't even touch it. Then I decided to possibly ruin another battery just in case. So, I did and it too flashed green and got hot (but didn't smoke). Anyways, then I hesitated and tried my own black atomizer on those two batteries and both batteries still worked but the light on the one that smoked doesn't work anymore.

So, I'm afraid of the silver atomizer. But, I screwed my own black atomizer onto the SD and IT WORKS GREAT!!!! This was a battery issue-- the charger I rec'd is most likely broken!!! The radio shack charger is too lightweight (only 700mAh and the batteries it came with are only 400mAh. But my new spider batteries (and probably the ones that Trog sent) work fine and my new charger from dealextreme works fine and now I am getting power from my SD.

So, that's that. Unless something else happens later. Thanks, all!!!

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
Kendra, it doesnt matter what mAh rating your batts are , the Charger will still charge them to capacity.

mAh is a measure of charge capacity ( how much electricity the battery will hold) and will only affect charge time and use time. ( mAh = Milli amps hours )

A higher mAh rating on a battery will last longer in the device and take longer to charge. A lower mAh won't last as long and be quicker to recharge.

People often confuse mAh with mA ( mA = Milli amps , or how fast it can supply the power)

Nicowolf has a great analogy where electricity would be water :

to use an anology. In terms of water:

water would be the electricity

fluid ounces would be like mAh

the friction that slows or speeds a current of water would be measured in ohms for electric.

the force we are using to push our water through a tube would be volts.

the speed of the water as it goes through the tube would be mA.

the impact that the water has when it hits an obstacle would be watts.

I may be off a little on the ohms, volts, and watts. I still get a little confused with those myself.

So, we modders try to use volts to achieve mA so we can get watts (in ecigs it equates to heat); and mAh to keep it going for a longer period of time.

If you increase mAh in a battery, you increase how much electric it can hold, meaning how long it will last on a set of batteries.

If you increase volts, you increase mA and watts as well (the atomizer heats up faster).

To change ohms, you would have to change the atomizer innard materials.

I hope all this makes sense.

Kendra

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nashville
But the new batteries and new charger made the SD work. . . I had already tried my black atomizers with the SD the other day and it didn't work. The only thing that made it work was the new batteries. What if the capacity of the batteries from radio shack weren't high enough? If you look on the reviews on the radio shack site, others said the batteries were too weak, too. And, the charger says 700mAh. . . I have no idea what the SD needs, but it had no power with those batteries even after they were charged. .. and I tried both Trog's charger and the radio shack charger.

Only this morning with the deal extreme charger did the batteries work. How can that possibly be a coincidence??

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
the charger says 700MaH , and not 700 mA ? seems strange that a charger would state a charge capacity and not an output capacity.

400MaH batteries , should work with the SD. the original 901 battries are only 130mAh so 400mAh is still over 3 times more runtime. regardles whether your using a 901 battery or a cr123a/16340 your still asking it to do the same thing which is heat up the atomizer.

I'll admit though , it all sounds very strange.

Kendra

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nashville
the charger says 700MaH , and not 700 mA ? seems strange that a charger would state a charge capacity and not an output capacity.

400MaH batteries , should work with the SD. the original 901 battries are only 130mAh so 400mAh is still over 3 times more runtime. regardles whether your using a 901 battery or a cr123a/16340 your still asking it to do the same thing which is heat up the atomizer.

I'll admit though , it all sounds very strange.

charger

What does this mean?

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
strange , Maybe the charger has some inbuilt wizardy that only charges the battery to that level but that i've never heard off before, or they are refering to the 2 batteries that come with it as being 700mAh capacity.

thing is with these chargers is that they are tempramental if they don't make decent contact on the battery. that's the only thing i can think of.

the Nano charger that i have will charge the 880mAh 16440 spiderfires or the 1000mAh cr123a batteries i have.

same with AA chargers, doesnt matter if they are 1000mAh or 2500mAh the charger should still charge the battery to capacity.

you may have just been real unlucky and got 2 bad chargers..I've certainly heard that happen before.

Last edited:

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
There seems to be a lot of inconsistency in production of atomizers. If you look at the bottom of your atomizer (where it screws into the SD), there's a flat disk. Sometimes the disk is just a teeny-tiny bit too recessed to make good contact. I took an eyeglasses screwdriver (very small and thin) and VERY gently worked the flat part of the eyeglasses screwdriver underneath the disk around the edges and lifted it up just a tad . . . and VERY gently. That seemed to be good enough for it to make contact when screwed into the SD.

Please note frequent use of the word "GENTLY." ;) Pull up too hard, and I'm quite sure you'll do something terrible to the atomizer. :)

I can't even get the atomizers to go into the SD. They don't go more than one turn.

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
walrus , is that a thread problem or an atomizer width problem ? and do they fit a generic 901 battery?

Perhaps it means that the charger charges at a rate of 700mAh... and that a 1400mAh battery would take two hours to charge up?

but that would be a mA ( output) rating rather than mAh rating ( charge capacity )

Last edited:

Kendra

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nashville
strange , Maybe the charger has some inbuilt wizardy that only charges the battery to that level but that i've never heard off before, or they are refering to the 2 batteries that come with it as being 700mAh capacity.

thing is with these chargers is that they are tempramental if they don't make decent contact on the battery. that's the only thing i can think of.

the Nano charger that i have will charge the 880mAh 16440 spiderfires or the 1000mAh cr123a batteries i have.

same with AA chargers, doesnt matter if they are 1000mAh or 2500mAh the charger should still charge the battery to capacity.

you may have just been real unlucky and got 2 bad chargers..I've certainly heard that happen before.
Maybe I did get two bad chargers. Strange, though. The batteries that came with it were 400mAh. But, I guess that doesn't really matter afterall.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
walrus , is that a thread problem or an atomizer width problem ? and do they fit a generic 901 battery?

Funny, I never thought of it that way. I just checked, and I turned it around and placed the mouthpiece side into the SD, it slides down all the way so I'm assuming it's a thread issue.

They work fine with my 901 battery.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Maybe we can chalk it up to Radio Shack being a knowledge-less hawker of overpriced electronics that they don't really understand. I've found them to be perfectly fine if I'm ducking in to pick up something I know I need... but ask a question and get a deer-in-the-headlights look, or some rambling bull**** excuse of an answer that anyone with a modicum of relevant knowledge will see through in an instant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread