The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Searching Mech Mod (Parallel or Series)

Discussion in 'Mech Mods' started by Ammonarrow, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ammonarrow

Ammonarrow Full Member

Oct 3, 2017
    Hey there,
    I need an advice, so I got this Twisted Messes 22mm in Gold and I am on the search for a Box that fits it.

Just write me your suggestions.
    Thanks

2. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Hopefully you've learned about battery amp limits and how to use an Ohm's Law calculator since you posted this:

You weren't very receptive to good advice in that thread.

I would suggest you choose a parallel dual battery mod, as that would provide 1.5 times the amp limit and double the mah capacity of a single battery.

A series dual battery mod would double the voltage, but the amp and capacity would be the same as a single battery.

What batteries will you be using?
    What resistance will you want to use?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ammonarrow

Ammonarrow Full Member

Oct 3, 2017
    Seriously, I have made sooo much experience since that post...

I know what I am doing, and have delt with some series and parallel boxes since then.

I'd btw. Double the AMP "Limit" (just most probably not 50:50 it out between batteries because of the resistance of the battery itself)

I had it on a 0.175 Resistance on a Noisy Cricket but I want something more High End (also had it on a Parallel with 0.05 Ohm)

Was a noob to Mechs back when I made the post about the VGOD (which was a pretty ....ty mod tbh.)

4. Ammonarrow

Ammonarrow Full Member

Oct 3, 2017

5. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The resistances you're mentioning here aren't very healthy.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Ammonarrow

Ammonarrow Full Member

Oct 3, 2017
    Yeah, if you'd use it on your batteries continuously, then it wouldn't be healthy for the seal.
    However, you are pulsing the batteries, and so the will never reach any amount of temp (except maybe glowing out coils) that would be harmless for the venting seal to break.

7. Wheelin247

Wheelin247 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 17, 2013
    Lakeland, Fl. USA
    You can only have a series mech. Your looking for a unregulated box. In unregulated you can have series or parallel. In a mech (mostly tube mods) you can only run a single or dual battery setup and if your running dual batteries they will be stacked which means they are in series. Just FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    It is never safe to push cells past their CDR, the harder they're pushed the faster they degrade, as they degrade they lose the ability to produce amps safely.

There are no set standards for pulse, instantainious, momentary, burst, rapid discharge, using any of them as a guide or limit when vaping is a really bad idea.

---> Battery pulse ratings are useless! | E-Cigarette Forum

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. KenD

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Look, you're free to exceed the cdr of batteries as well, but please don't fool yourself into thinking it's safe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ben85

Ben85 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    @Ammonarrow, you still have a lot to learn buddy. If you need to go that low to get a satisfying vape - you are doing something wrong and are risking your face because of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    You still don't get it. Here's an anology:

Do you floor your vehicle's accelerator at every stop light or stop sign? How long do you think your engine would last doing this?
    Do you run your vehicle's engine into redline often? Again, how long do you think your engine would last doing that?

Your batteries are your vape's engine. Pulsing your battery above its continuous discharge rate on a regular basis is battery abuse. This activity accelerates the aging of a battery to the point where the amp limit will decrease to 50%. Your 20 amp battery will become a 10 amp battery; your 30 amp battery will become a 15 amp battery. This enters the danger zone and you may not become aware of it until its too late.

If your setup is designed to be running above your battery's CDR, your setup is instantly over-spec'd. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

This. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    So you have so much experience running a mech mod unsafely that you want to find out what you can do to make it even more unsafe?

This is not a rhetorical or sarcastic question.... :(

Anna

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here? :unsure:

You can't double the amp limit with two batteries in a mech. In parallel circuit, the amp limit increases 1 1/2 times, not two times. In an ideal world, the amp would increase two times. However, in the practical world there is voltage drop and increased resistance in the wiring to consider. Experts say the rule of thumb is realize only a 1.5 time amp gain.

Please skip to 15:40 in this video explaining this concept of amp gain in a parellel circuit in a mod.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Wheelin247

Wheelin247 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 17, 2013
    Lakeland, Fl. USA
    Lol I was just pointing out that a box most likely is an unregulated mod, not a mech.

I know about battery safety. I’ve been building u regulated, regulated and lipo mods for a while. I know what I’m doing. Just wanted to point out the obvious to the OP about mechs and unregulated mods. Nothing about cells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  15. KenD

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sorry, I didn't mean to quote your post but the OP's. I have no idea how that happened.

• Like Like x 2
  16. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Ignoring the safety aspects here, I recently ran across someone with a cricket 2, which looked to me like a very interesting mech. It’s both parallel and series for one thing AND it has safety features which is pretty cool

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BackDoc

BackDoc Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Galts Gulch
    You are Still a "Noob" son and you would fare well to sit back and listen to the Great information that these knowledgeable and experienced Vapers/Engineers/ and extremely smart men and women whom are trying to "educate" you .......ive been at this a long time and every day i come to the forum i learn something , especially when someone like Baditude speaks.......i listen ...and learn

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    Pulse ratings are useless for vaping unless you know ALL of the parameters used to establish the rating.

Not only are your resistances dangerously low you will have twice the damage when two batteries violently release their energy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. erhodes2

erhodes2 Full Member Verified Member

Dec 28, 2017
    I'm new to this as well but if you are running a parallel mech then you should be able to build down to around .15 ohm safely if you are running 30 amp batteries correct. Technically I think you could go down to .1 but that would really give you no margin for error

20. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    As @Ben85 pointed out in an earlier post there is no reason to go that low. Learn to build a better vape around the advantages and disadvantages of a particular atomizer Instead of just throwing more power at it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.