Searching Mech Mod (Parallel or Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Hopefully you've learned about battery amp limits and how to use an Ohm's Law calculator since you posted this:

You weren't very receptive to good advice in that thread.
I would suggest you choose a parallel dual battery mod, as that would provide 1.5 times the amp limit and double the mah capacity of a single battery.

A series dual battery mod would double the voltage, but the amp and capacity would be the same as a single battery.

What batteries will you be using?
What resistance will you want to use?

Ammonarrow

Oct 3, 2017
Hopefully you've learned about battery amp limits and how to use an Ohm's Law calculator since you posted this:

I would suggest you choose a parallel dual battery mod, as that would provide 1.5 times the amp limit and double the mah capacity of a single battery.

A series dual battery mod would double the voltage, but the amp and capacity would be the same as a single battery.

What batteries will you be using?
What resistance will you want to use?
Seriously, I have made sooo much experience since that post...

I know what I am doing, and have delt with some series and parallel boxes since then.

I'd btw. Double the AMP "Limit" (just most probably not 50:50 it out between batteries because of the resistance of the battery itself)

I had it on a 0.175 Resistance on a Noisy Cricket but I want something more High End (also had it on a Parallel with 0.05 Ohm)

Was a noob to Mechs back when I made the post about the VGOD (which was a pretty ....ty mod tbh.)

Ammonarrow

Oct 3, 2017

I know what I am doing, and have delt with some series and parallel boxes since then.

I'd btw. Double the AMP "Limit" (just most probably not 50:50 it out between batteries because of the resistance of the battery itself)

I had it on a 0.175 Resistance on a Noisy Cricket (yeah the full mech one, Series 1 or whatever) but I want something more High End then the Noisy Cricket (also had it on a Parallel with 0.05 Ohm)

Was a noob to Mechs back when I made the post about the VGOD (which was a pretty ....ty mod tbh.)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

I had it on a 0.175 Resistance on a Noisy Cricket but I want something more High End (also had it on a Parallel with 0.05 Ohm)

The resistances you're mentioning here aren't very healthy.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

Ammonarrow

Oct 3, 2017
The resistances you're mentioning here aren't very healthy.

Yeah, if you'd use it on your batteries continuously, then it wouldn't be healthy for the seal.
However, you are pulsing the batteries, and so the will never reach any amount of temp (except maybe glowing out coils) that would be harmless for the venting seal to break.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
You can only have a series mech. Your looking for a unregulated box. In unregulated you can have series or parallel. In a mech (mostly tube mods) you can only run a single or dual battery setup and if your running dual batteries they will be stacked which means they are in series. Just FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Yeah, if you'd use it on your batteries continuously, then it wouldn't be healthy for the seal.
However, you are pulsing the batteries, and so the will never reach any amount of temp (except maybe glowing out coils) that would be harmless for the venting seal to break.

It is never safe to push cells past their CDR, the harder they're pushed the faster they degrade, as they degrade they lose the ability to produce amps safely.

There are no set standards for pulse, instantainious, momentary, burst, rapid discharge, using any of them as a guide or limit when vaping is a really bad idea.

---> Battery pulse ratings are useless! | E-Cigarette Forum

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
You can only have a series mech. Your looking for a unregulated box. In unregulated you can have series or parallel. In a mech (mostly tube mods) you can only run a single or dual battery setup and if your running dual batteries they will be stacked which means they are in series. Just FYI.

Look, you're free to exceed the cdr of batteries as well, but please don't fool yourself into thinking it's safe.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You still don't get it. Here's an anology:

Do you floor your vehicle's accelerator at every stop light or stop sign? How long do you think your engine would last doing this?
Do you run your vehicle's engine into redline often? Again, how long do you think your engine would last doing that?

Your batteries are your vape's engine. Pulsing your battery above its continuous discharge rate on a regular basis is battery abuse. This activity accelerates the aging of a battery to the point where the amp limit will decrease to 50%. Your 20 amp battery will become a 10 amp battery; your 30 amp battery will become a 15 amp battery. This enters the danger zone and you may not become aware of it until its too late.

If your setup is designed to be running above your battery's CDR, your setup is instantly over-spec'd. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

It is never safe to push cells past their CDR, the harder they're pushed the faster they degrade, as they degrade they lose the ability to produce amps safely.

There are no set standards for pulse, instantainious, momentary, burst, rapid discharge, using any of them as a guide or limit when vaping is a really bad idea.

---> Battery pulse ratings are useless! | E-Cigarette Forum
This. :thumb:

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here? :unsure:

You can't double the amp limit with two batteries in a mech. In parallel circuit, the amp limit increases 1 1/2 times, not two times. In an ideal world, the amp would increase two times. However, in the practical world there is voltage drop and increased resistance in the wiring to consider. Experts say the rule of thumb is realize only a 1.5 time amp gain.

Please skip to 15:40 in this video explaining this concept of amp gain in a parellel circuit in a mod.

Last edited:
  • Useful

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Look, you're free to exceed the cdr of batteries as well, but please don't fool yourself into thinking it's safe.

Lol I was just pointing out that a box most likely is an unregulated mod, not a mech.

I know about battery safety. I’ve been building u regulated, regulated and lipo mods for a while. I know what I’m doing. Just wanted to point out the obvious to the OP about mechs and unregulated mods. Nothing about cells.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Lol I was just pointing out that a box most likely is an unregulated mod, not a mech.

I know about battery safety. I’ve been building u regulated, regulated and lipo mods for a while. I know what I’m doing. Just wanted to point out the obvious to the OP about mechs and unregulated mods. Nothing about cells.

Sorry, I didn't mean to quote your post but the OP's. I have no idea how that happened.

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch

You are Still a "Noob" son and you would fare well to sit back and listen to the Great information that these knowledgeable and experienced Vapers/Engineers/ and extremely smart men and women whom are trying to "educate" you .......ive been at this a long time and every day i come to the forum i learn something , especially when someone like Baditude speaks.......i listen ...and learn

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I'm new to this as well but if you are running a parallel mech then you should be able to build down to around .15 ohm safely if you are running 30 amp batteries correct. Technically I think you could go down to .1 but that would really give you no margin for error

As @Ben85 pointed out in an earlier post there is no reason to go that low. Learn to build a better vape around the advantages and disadvantages of a particular atomizer Instead of just throwing more power at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread