• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

SG Legislation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuvole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2014
Sillypore
tobacco (Control of Advertisements and Sale) Act
(CHAPTER 309)

Prohibition of imitation tobacco products16.
—(1) No person shall import, distribute, sell or offer for sale any confectionery or other food product or any toy or other article that is designed to resemble a tobacco product or the packaging of which is designed to resemble the packaging commonly associated with tobacco products.
[17/2010 wef 01/09/2010]
(2) Any person who contravenes subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $5,000 and, in the case of a second or subsequent conviction, to a fine not exceeding $10,000.

dragonl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2013
Dragon Lair
Tobacco (Control of Advertisements and Sale) Act
(CHAPTER 309)

—(1) No person shall import, distribute, sell or offer for sale any confectionery or other food product or any toy or other article that is designed to resemble a tobacco product or the packaging of which is designed to resemble the packaging commonly associated with tobacco products.
[17/2010 wef 01/09/2010]
(2) Any person who contravenes subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $5,000 and, in the case of a second or subsequent conviction, to a fine not exceeding $10,000.

If you have follow the links according to the webpage you have searched, there is a statement that stated "Imitation tobacco products such as electronic cigarettes are prohibited by law.". So it is illegal.

dragonl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2013
Dragon Lair
They said is illegal, but its no where found in the statutes...

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/sear...browse/titleResults.w3p;letter=T;type=actsAll

They keep mentioning the same things which is Tobacco (Control of Advertisements and Sale) Act

Here you go:

Prohibition of imitation tobacco products
16.—(1) No person shall import, distribute, sell or offer for sale any confectionery or other food product or any toy or other article that is designed to resemble a tobacco product or the packaging of which is designed to resemble the packaging commonly associated with tobacco products.

dragonl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2013
Dragon Lair
Item will be confiscated and become an exhibit. The least of the problem is a warning by HSA. If they are to pursue the case, you will be charge. And being the first person on trail due to the fabrication of e-cigarette, it will be recorded and be used under the common law to other offenders in the near future. So if the fine is $10k, the rest who caught in possession next time will be charge $10k....

nuvole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2014
Sillypore
The thing is I can't any written law against it.

Take for example:

Chemical Weapons (Prohibition) Act
(CHAPTER 37B)

Use, etc., of chemical weapons
—(1) Any person who —
(a)
uses a chemical weapon;
(b)
develops or produces a chemical «weapon;
(c)
acquires, stockpiles or retains a chemical «weapon;

==========

It's clearly develops or produces , but as for our hobby nothing is written.

dragonl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2013
Dragon Lair
Haha... just to lighten the tone here. No one can guess what the legislation completely. What ever it is be patient, we get your hint. Go check out what interest you, mod, rba, rda...etc. Sure you can diy, but it is still be illegal. By the way, this discussion most probably be closed by moderator any time soon.

doc julio

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2014
UK
Tobacco (Control of Advertisements and Sale) Act
(CHAPTER 309)

[17/2010 wef 01/09/2010]

Well, any PV kit I have seen does NOT resemble a tobacco product. So that's okay then, isn't it?

And it refers to importation, distribution, sale and offer for sale. Not use. So use is okay then, isn't it?

The reality is that this law was written to stop candies and toys that resembles cigarettes. A long time ago. Quite right too. And yes, the statute has been hijacked for use against ecigs (= the type that look like cigarettes). No issue there, ecigs suck anyway. And it has also been stretched well beyond its original intention by certain bodies under pressure from cartain conglomerates, to try to "control" PV's.

You may have seen a very long post from a US member today on this site. And in that, you may have noticed that the US banned all this stuff in 2009, but the ban was overturned by the courts as being unlawful. Respect for the people for fighting back.

Where I come from, the role of the court is to uphold laws (aka statutes). And the statute says "designed to resemble a tobacco product". No one in their right mind could say that a provari or a vamo or a kayfun/kanger/aspire/iclear/CE4 is "designed to resemble a tobacco product". Well maybe a blind person, but probably not even them if they felt it! We all know what the word "resemble" means, right? Ditto the packaging. Ergo, PV's don't contravene Section 16.

So then. I am left with two feelings from this region. Either (1) Courts don't uphold the law (not such a shock for this part of the world, have lived in thailand and indo so I know the score, but I expect more from this particular region) or (2) People in this region are scared of their own shadow: paranoid and fearful of fighting their cause. Or both of the above.

Where is the voice of the people here? Okay, going through the courts make cost a bit. But my experience of this region is that there are a lot of seriously rich people around. Its not my place to pick a fight in another country - luckily where I come from, there is no issue at all at the moment.

But as I see it, a statute designed to stop mock cigarettes being exposed to young children (clearly a good thing) is being used (or rather abused) to prevent something beneficial to society (clearly a bad thing!) due to misinformation by the big cigarette manufacturers and pharmaceuticals. The only way to stop propaganda is to bring the truth (ie facts) into the public arena. Not hiding in the shadows and spreading paranoia. There is not enough data to answer all questions, but there is already enough data to disprove most of the reasons cited by the health and safety authority of this region.

No govt wants to lose duties (even despite the detrimental effect of smoking on the citizens of the state). That's a different issue, and one with a simple solution. Allow nic-containing ejuices to be sold, and tax them sensibly if necessary. Everyone is happy. That said, the govt of this region already has too much of it's citizens money in the govt bank coffers (according to a recent global audit) and so perhaps, dare I say it, it could afford to postpone taxation for a while, and see how things pan out. If it had its peoples best interests at heart.

Mordenkainen

Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Sanctuary
resemble

rzmb()l/

verb

verb:.resemble; 3rd person present:.resembles; past tense:.resembled; past participle:.resembled; gerund or present participle:.resembling

have a similar appearance to or qualities in common with (someone or something); look or seem like.

"some people resemble their dogs"

synonyms:look like,.be similar to,.be like,.bear a resemblance to,.remind one of,.put one in mind of,.take after,.favour,.have a look of,make one think of;

approximate to,.smack of,.have (all) the hallmarks of,.correspond to,.be not dissimilar to,.be not unlike;.

echo,.mirror,duplicate,.parallel;.

mimic;.

archaicbear semblance to

"the woman resembled Jackie Kennedy"

Domtine

Lim Peh
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
North Korea with Disneyland
I've said this before and I shall say it again.

No doubt SG legislation is very much based on the inherited UK Common Law, we are seeing a trend towards interpreting laws and statutes to maintain status quo instead of reflecting societal changes. So unless you are prepared to splash out on getting a judicial review and taking your case all the way to the Court of Appeal, we are pretty much restricted to flying under the radar.

So yes, we can argue until the cows come home on how PVs are not products made to resemble a real cigarette, if the courts do not rule in our favour, it will never be legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread