Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
But it won't go boom, would it?
Is there any chance of that happening?

It would require all the safety protections built into the board of a regulated mod for there be a risk of a total failure leading to your batteries venting. Can it happen? Anything can happen, including being struck by lightening, but extremely unlikely.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
It would require all the safety protections built into the board of a regulated mod for there be a risk of a total failure leading to your batteries venting. Can it happen? Anything can happen, including being struck by lightening, but extremely unlikely.
I see.
I was thinking of building one of those ecr coils by eleaf to use with my pico 75w(I'm still new to vaping). Was just wondering if there's any possibility of me screwing it up(it's my first time building anything)and being injured. And shorting is the only thing that comes to mind.
Any other advice from your side? Or any inputs from anyone else on the forum would be appreciated.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I see.
I was thinking of building one of those ecr coils by eleaf to use with my pico 75w(I'm still new to vaping). Was just wondering if there's any possibility of me screwing it up(it's my first time building anything)and being injured. And shorting is the only thing that comes to mind.
Any other advice from your side? Or any inputs from anyone else on the forum would be appreciated.

A regulated mod will be able to handle the worst you could do to it with a coil, meaning a dead short. It just wouldn't fire at all.

Regulated mods can go bad. I had one mess up on me a couple of months ago. It was a Sigelei 20, sad because it was the mod I quit smoking with. The battery started melting down and producing smoke. The coil was fine. I tried putting another battery in and it happened again immediately. I'm 99% sure it was a problem in the circuit board. This is so rare that it isn't worth worrying about. I've only heard about a handful of cases, and it could happen with any electrical device. Unless you want to go back to the stone age.

There's nothing you can do wrong with your coil that could make this happen. Any mistake you could possibly make has been tried thousands of times.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
A regulated mod will be able to handle the worst you could do to it with a coil, meaning a dead short. It just wouldn't fire at all.

Regulated mods can go bad. I had one mess up on me a couple of months ago. It was a Sigelei 20, sad because it was the mod I quit smoking with. The battery started melting down and producing smoke. The coil was fine. I tried putting another battery in and it happened again immediately. I'm 99% sure it was a problem in the circuit board. This is so rare that it isn't worth worrying about. I've only heard about a handful of cases, and it could happen with any electrical device. Unless you want to go back to the stone age.

There's nothing you can do wrong with your coil that could make this happen. Any mistake you could possibly make has been tried thousands of times.
Woah. The battery melted? As in the metal on the battery just melted? It must be like a 1000 degrees.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
But you can change wattage in the normal mode as well. Then why this?
Sorry if this sounds stupid. I'm relatively new to vaping. :)
Wattage is the bypass on the pico if I remember correctly. Its been a while since I used one and have since passed it on to a friend :)
I use all regulated mods in wattage mode. Never wanted to fiddle with TC or any of that other nonsense ;)
I'm a mech mod user for the most part, I win a regulated mod here and there, use em for about a week, then back to mech mods :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
But it won't go boom, would it?
Is there any chance of that happening?

In a Regulated Mod with Vent Holes, using a "Safe Chemistry" Battery, the chances it going "Boom" are Very Small.

Usually when you Read about a Mod going "Boom", it is an Unregulated Mod where the Battery Vents and the Vented Gases have No Place to Go.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Wattage is the bypass on the pico if I remember correctly. Its been a while since I used one and have since passed it on to a friend :)
I use all regulated mods in wattage mode. Never wanted to fiddle with TC or any of that other nonsense ;)
I'm a mech mod user for the most part, I win a regulated mod here and there, use em for about a week, then back to mech mods :)
There is a separate wattage and bypass mode in my pico.
I also want to get into mech mods. But it'll be a while before i can touch any of those without going BOOM.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
In a Regulated Mod with Vent Holes, using a "Safe Chemistry" Battery, the chances it going "Boom" are Very Small.

Usually when you Read about a Mod going "Boom", it is an Unregulated Mod where the Battery Vents and the Vented Gases have No Place to Go.
Yeh I've read that most of the mods blowing up are mech mods. What you say makes sense about the gases.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
There is a separate wattage and bypass mode in my pico.
I also want to get into mech mods. But it'll be a while before i can touch any of those without going BOOM.
Take your time, you're asking the right questions.
When you build your RDA/tank make sure the screws are tight, not overly tight because it will snap the legs on the coil.
If your ohms are all over the place when you fire it, check the screws and legs of the coils, screws tight no snapped legs. This is usually the problem.
We were all beginners at some point too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread