Show us your Ali'i!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chameloid

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
Rura Penthe
Finally able to post some pics of my new Ali'i. It is Ebony spine/caps and Padauk body. This is the variable volt model and has the brass catch cup:

alii-unpack.jpg alii-side.jpg alii-opened.jpg

The batts that I currently have in it are the AWR IMR 16340s (3.7 V, 550 mAh). I also have some AW CR123a 3.7 V, 750 mAh to try at some point.

Pictures really can't do justice... especially trying to capture the gloss on the ebony (it's like piano keys!). The feel in the hand is amazing!

FreeFlow

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
London, Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
Beautiful!

Finally able to post some pics of my new Ali'i. It is Ebony spine/caps and Padauk body. This is the variable volt model and has the brass catch cup:

View attachment 26083 View attachment 26081 View attachment 26082

The batts that I currently have in it are the AWR IMR 16340s (3.7 V, 550 mAh). I also have some AW CR123a 3.7 V, 750 mAh to try at some point.

Pictures really can't do justice... especially trying to capture the gloss on the ebony (it's like piano keys!). The feel in the hand is amazing!

Yellowman1972

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Seattle
Okay here she is finally. I been hoarding it to myself but its time to share it with the world. ryan picked this combo out for me all I did was pay for it. in fact I did not even know what it was going to be until Freeflow blew the surprise!! its the 1st Bloodwood/Maple I think I have seen. It is awesome, the difference between this and my 1st ali'i is night and day. it made me fall in love with the ali'i all over again so I really thank you ryan and ron.

Attachments

• Bloodwood-Maple Ali'i.jpg
    Bloodwood-Maple Ali'i.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 145

Lazerrred

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2010
Flo SC, USA
Sorry for the belated pic's of my new Bubinga/ Bubinga.

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Here she is with here sister. Bubinga / maple.

IMG_0672.jpg

I would like to add, the fit and finish on the new one was beyond my expectations as were a few slight improvements. Not that the earlier one was off by any means, but is just seem to fit together almost perfect. Maybe, it is just that being all Bubinga with not much contrast, the joinery is immaculate. Ryan, if you see this, nice work & thanks.

Yellowman1972

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Seattle
its like I said in my review lazered, the progesiion is evident. especially to those that ordered a 2nd. Practice does indeed make perfect and we are starting to see that in these later ali'i's not that the 1st initial runs were bad by any means. Just that the finishing process has been tightened up and the newer ali'i owners are getting the benefit of ryan n ron having made countless boxes prior to these runs. Like I said, it made me fall in love with the ali'i all over. its gonna be very soon that I order another standard ali'i as I am using it constantly. the ease of the feed system is mindblowing

phorbin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
Gamehendge
Okay here she is finally. I been hoarding it to myself but its time to share it with the world. ryan picked this combo out for me all I did was pay for it. in fact I did not even know what it was going to be until Freeflow blew the surprise!! its the 1st Bloodwood/Maple I think I have seen. It is awesome, the difference between this and my 1st ali'i is night and day. it made me fall in love with the ali'i all over again so I really thank you ryan and ron.

that might be the sweetest one i've seen so far. And thats saying something cuz i haven't seen an unattractive Ali'i yet.

Rippspeed

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
A, A
wow very very nice mod... I love that combo ... my favorite combonation

Sorry for the belated pic's of my new Bubinga/ Bubinga.

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Here she is with here sister. Bubinga / maple.

IMG_0672.jpg

I would like to add, the fit and finish on the new one was beyond my expectations as were a few slight improvements. Not that the earlier one was off by any means, but is just seem to fit together almost perfect. Maybe, it is just that being all Bubinga with not much contrast, the joinery is immaculate. Ryan, if you see this, nice work & thanks.

Pyloric Thinker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Campbell, CA
Cherry Spine w/ Maple Doors ...
c-j-puff-n-stuff-albums-ali-i-picture24928-front.jpg

c-j-puff-n-stuff-albums-ali-i-picture24927-side.jpg
Does anyone know if the cherry is always that light? If so, I'm thinking Padauk body with cherry doors would be really pretty! Has anyone done Padauk body/bubinga doors? I want contrast, but I'm looking for a more subtle contrast. I've been dreaming of the 2 combinations I mentioned. Any suggestions in that range?

CJLite

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2010
USA
I don't believe it's always that light, Pyloric. I've seen some photos and videos of the Ali'i mods with cherry doors, and the shade of brown on those cherry doors look almost the same shade as Bubinga to me. In fact, I've had a hard time telling the difference between cherry and bubinga sometimes. LRD3 and WHITEKNIGHT both have ebony/cherry Ali'i mods.

Link to video showing LRD3's ebony/cherry: YouTube - tryitlrd3's Channel
Link to post showing photos of WHITEKNIGHT's ebony/cherry: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...custom-ordering-now-open-334.html#post2413212

When I took the photos of the cherry/maple, I used a camera flash. So the colors look a little bit washed out and dry. In real life the cherry is a tiny bit darker and a lot more shiny and lustrous. Still, the cherry spine on mine looks lighter compared to the cherry doors I've seen on other peoples' mods.

I don't know of anyone who has tried padauk/bubinga spine/doors. In fact, the only one I know of who got a padauk spine was WarsawNan, but she went with yellowheart doors. If you're thinking about Padauk, I recommend getting maple, yellowheart, or ebony for the other color. Padauk has a reddish-orange tint to it, so (in my opinion) it looks better with those three woods than the brown woods like bubinga and cherry. Of course it's all a matter of preference. Just my 2 cents.

I personally think ebony/padauk spine/doors is a stunning combination. Both FreeFlow and Chameloid have the ebony/padauk combo, and their mods look awesome.

I hope that helps.

EDIT: Corrected link to pics of WHITEKNIGHT's Ali'i.

Does anyone know if the cherry is always that light? If so, I'm thinking Padauk body with cherry doors would be really pretty! Has anyone done Padauk body/bubinga doors? I want contrast, but I'm looking for a more subtle contrast. I've been dreaming of the 2 combinations I mentioned. Any suggestions in that range?

Last edited:

tybin

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
i Was thinkin about cherry spine with babinga doors or bugingia doors with padauk. great minds think alike :)

Pyloric Thinker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Campbell, CA
I don't know of anyone who has tried padauk/bubinga spine/doors. In fact, the only one I know of who got a padauk spine was WarsawNan, but she went with yellowheart doors. If you're thinking about Padauk, I recommend getting maple, yellowheart, or ebony for the other color. Padauk has a reddish-orange tint to it, so (in my opinion) it looks better with those three woods than the brown woods like bubinga and cherry. Of course it's all a matter of preference. Just my 2 cents.

I personally think ebony/padauk spine/doors is a stunning combination. Both FreeFlow and Chameloid have the ebony/padauk combo, and their mods look awesome

I agree with the stunningness of ebony/padauk, but it seems a lot of people go for ebony. I'm hoping for something I haven't seen before. I've read that padauk is very strong (like ebony) which is why I thought it'd be a good material for the spine. I'm surprised you don't think reds and browns would make for a good combo. It could be my fall/winter PV :laugh:
Either way, thanks for the response. I always think of cherry wood as american cherry (very deep red) but it seems upon further investigation brazillian cherry is lighter than it's american/european counterpart. Thanks CJ

Dillinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Mountain View, CA
Wow so many beautiful Ali'is in one thread. I wonderful if Ryan could do a super dark chocolate looking Ali'i (like ebony/ebony) is that even possible?

I'm sorry to say that is probably not an option. I believe Ryan said it would be cost prohibitive to build an Ali'i entirely from Ebony. Or perhaps it was that his vendor cannot provide the cut of wood necessary in ebony. One or the other...it's somewhere in the R&R thread.

benjayman2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm sorry to say that is probably not an option. I believe Ryan said it would be cost prohibitive to build an Ali'i entirely from Ebony. Or perhaps it was that his vendor cannot provide the cut of wood necessary in ebony. One or the other...it's somewhere in the R&R thread.

Thanks good to know. Still like the ebony/maple combo though :)

benjayman2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Chicago, IL
ok...i cant take it anymore!!!!!!!!!! Whens the next sale?? And where? Is it like the Reo sale? Very intense and sells 47 mods in 63 seconds? Talk about adreniline rush! But i have to have one of these, and theres 3 wood combos im torn between, so i guess i must get all 3 combos! Hehe!

I wish my gf would be as avid as your are about my mod spending :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread