Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
hoping it's ok to post this here for present owners:unsure:

The
Phidias

A compilation of tips brought to you by Fono and various members of the Phidias Family

A Fun fact about the dimensions: They are just a tad over 3 inches tall.

They have "divine proportions" as they follow the ratio of the Golden Mean, or Fibonacci series-- Phidias being the namesake of the Mathematical expression PHI which is derived from same...here: Fibonacci and the Golden Mean

Notice the inlays describe another Golden rectangle and a perfect square---hold the face one Phidias at arms length, and the bottom of another closer to your face and they share the same shape--they are like proportioned in every axis...

The width of your Phidias is 1.618 its thickness, and its length is 1.618 its width
here is some interesting tidbits found and posted by k-space

‪1.618 Phi, The Golden Ratio, God Creator of Heaven and Earth‬‏ - YouTube

How do you fill it, or refill it?:

First thing to do is take your atty off (the needle needs an angle to go in and out).

You can simply remove the entire bottle and feed assembly remove the cap--the hypo is a press fit; I like that, no glue to worry about the toxins of--so the hypo may be loose- just set it aside with the 3mls cap.

Take your big tanker bottle and drive a paper clip or take a big safety pin and drive that though the nipple of the tanker bottle to increase juice transfer rates...

Then just plug the nipple of the big bottle into the top of the open/uncapped 3 ml. bottle (most brands fit snugly e.g. perfectly)…With the two bottles so engaged squeeze air from the 3ml. bottle UP into the big bottle—you’ll see bubbles as the upper (big) bottle becomes pressurized—then release the pressure and watch your 3ml. bottle fill itself.

Takes about three of these press and release deals to fill your bottle

Filling that 3ml. bottle is absolutely painless, in fact it's fun...

Hope that's clear---the 3ml. bottle fills itself as the pressure in the top bottle drives the fresh juice to the lower 3 ml. bottle...

Usage note: There is a difference between a "tight feed tube cap" and a "tight enough feed tube cap".

Just to be sure its "tight enough" before you put it back in your Phidias put your finger over the tip of the tube and squeeze the bottle, if it's just tight and not "tight enough" you'll see where the leaks come from...

I went back and forth with gluing the tube in the cap, but settled on no glue, Count one Mississippi, two Mississippi etc., until you can gauge how long your particular juice takes to drop thas none is required provided you screw the cap on "tight enough" to create a seal.

No glue is a good thing, leaks are not, and the secret to no leaks whatsoever is checking to make sure you screwed the cap on "tight enough" to create a proper seal...

GETTING STARTED

1. You need to break in the new bottle. Please note that it may take a couple days to get to optimal squishiness: try massaging the bottle for a few minutes and running it under some hot water for a minute. There is also a natural soft spot in the bottle. If you align this soft spot with the feed button, you will have an easier time pushing in the button.

2. You need to prime the atty and fill the feed line:

I urge you to explore the feed system without an atty or cartomizer on your Phidias--just hold it up side down and press the feed button, you can then watch the drops drip into the atty, maybe refresh a carto or just play around by dripping back into a open top juice bottle. Count one Mississippi, two Mississippi etc., until you can gauge how long your particular juice takes to drop three drops into the atty. This serves to prime the atty and fill the feed line as well.

Attach the atty, and take a few vapes. You should be good for 3 to 5 vapes. Notice that you can hear the juice in the feed line. When you no longer hear it running, it’s time to feed the atty again.

Feeding the Phidias: You have three methods:

The Zen of gravity feeding an atty (not to be confused with Motorcycle Mechanics)

You have a feed system that works with Gravity rather than against it;

an all surgical stainless steel feed tube feeding the atty--operated by that over sized hand turned totally flush hardwood button--in your case a genuine Purple Heart button.

Option One is the “Phiddy Swing”

you simply invert your Phidias and press in on the button to feed it.

Here's some other tips I can offer…

After nearly a month of use I've discovered a few extra things to notice when priming a brand new atty or just contemplating the effects of gravity....

Things to notice #1

The first second of a feed button press delivers no juice.
Every feed system must evacuate the air trap in its tube the before any juice can be transported.

This air is pulled back into the bottle through the tube each time the button pressure is relaxed.

The inverted Feedimus system has much less of this air to evacuate than other upright "Against Gravity" sorts with longer, much larger diameter, to the bottom of the bottle tubes...

Things to notice #2

It's not about pressure it's about time.

Please notice, it does not take much button pressure to induce a drop, in fact an increase in button pressure seems to have no effect whatsoever on the rate of flow!!

Check that out for yourself; It's liberating.

Thick juices require no more button pressure than thin juices, just more time.

How much time? in my experience about four full Mississippi
type seconds: one Mississippi, two Mississippi etc.

The thinnest juices maybe 1/3 less than that?
IF you are using 100% thick vg juice, you can try adding a couple of drops of distilled water to your bottle for better viscosity.

Things to notice #3

You cannot get more that 4 maybe 5 drops from the most absent minded of long presses.

This is pretty nice because it makes it very hard to flood an atty...

I think the real value in observing and verifying these 3 things is the final realization that if you just swing your atty toward the ground and press for a while you pretty much cannot go wrong.

It's not like I designed my Phi case to be a juice feeder, it's that it just seems to be a natural for it!

If you can just know these "things" are true, by testing them for yourself, you are on your way to absolutely carefree feeding.

OPTION 2:

Advanced users will soon discover the Fire feed--- thumb presses gently on the feed button with fore finger on the power --pinky raised for style points (of course) with just a natural sipping type inclination.
Actually there's nothing stopping you from doing the ol' press and suck of the standard against gravity bottom feeders as well…just remember Long neck beer bottle rules apply. You have to tip your Phidias just past horizontal to submerge the feed cap in the bottle. If you do more than this angle, your gonna get juice in your mouth, just as you will if you attempt to feed before the line is empty.(note by Tybin)

Here’s a great video of the Phidias by Yellowman1972:
Connie_click-me.gif
‪yellowman1972's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Option3:

use a cartomizer!

take your full phidias bottle and slide the needle down the inside of the carto. (Brilliant BB!)
Squeeze until the carto is full. Top off the carto every hour or so by simply inverting your phid and pressing the feed button for ten seconds. turn back upright and vape away

BATTERY ADVICE, PARTS, and other things to TRY:

a. What size magnet holds the door on the Phidias Feedimus?

It's a Grade N-52 Rare Earth magnet, 3/16 x 1/16 pretty hard to lose really it's rated at a full pound of lifting force, it's always sticking to something---

b. Custom Off Switch Insulating Wafer:...Yes, another Phidias innovation

Yes that plastic penny is the insulation wafer, and can be stored up by the switch, under the battery etc.

When you need to disable the power simply slide the battery up a bit with your thumb and drop it over the positive battery contact.

Now its off, and will stay off until you take it out--nothing to short out, nothing to come un-soldered, nothing to fail--- I love the simple things...
you can also just unscrew the atty from the top if you loose your wafer

c. If your button seems dodgey:

(or you think your supply to the atty appears weak) try giving it a good stiff and repeated whacking with the bottom of your three ml. bottle...if that does not free it up send it back and I'll replace the switch for you and pay your postage...

That switch is the finest 12mm momentary switch you can buy.

It's called the Anti Vandal switch, its rated for a million clicks, is housed in a 100% sealed milled aluminum chassis...and is designed for use in public places, schools, malls, elevators etc.

I don't know why but beating on them brings them back when they seem dodgey.

d. Notes on Care:

Your Phidias is finished from the inside out so to speak, so unlike surface treatments you'll never see a hunk of it just chip, or flake off---leaving a patch of untreated, raw wood surrounded by the raised, on the surface only, surface coating...

So the mineral oil, included with your purchase is there just to refresh the sheen.(no it’s not a free sample bottle of juice—don’t vape it!) You might wish to wipe it down with a damp cloth, to remove any dirt that might have collected with use.

Pre-clean (if desired): Just a damp cloth, don't go nuts, and even a soft tooth brush--but again don't go nuts...

Then just a drop or two or three of the Mineral Oil when the finish looks dry; rub it in with your hands...the wood will take what it needs, (let it sit awhile--overnight even) and then you simply wipe/buff off what's left, if any, with a soft cloth and admire the newly refreshed finish .

A freshly laundered old tee shirt is the perfect a soft cotton cloth.

e. Adaptor Note:

[Fono would recommend that you] Don't use cheap adapters on 510 connectors. If you use an adapter, please don't try and tighten them a little more once they bottom out...That's how they crush that insulator…My personal 801 adapter has fried three springs, I was careful too, now I'm just sad...I'm not sure I'll ever try to use it again...too bad to, I like that 801. Skip the adapters, for a while anyway...

f. On More URGENT [Battery] Notes:

“My Advice, never try to save a buck when buying batteries---the AW 2600 mAh. Flat Tops I bought last October are still the ones I grab when I just cannot take a chance... That's the same battery I recommended, and the one I built the Phidias to use.

Don't be forcing those too long batteries in there--that's no way to treat my babies...

Seriously, if you find an 18650 battery that's way longer than the 650 mm. its alleged to be just >>Send it back to Satan..It's just wrong that they sell those as 18650s

I do [not] wish to sound angry, BUT DO NOT DO THAT…that's abuse, not your fault they suckered you, don't compound it by abusing your own PV.

I suggest you just skip the stacking Lion bats for now...
It's something to avoid if you can make 3.7 v work, (for many reasons)---and you most definitely can.

The thing with 3.7 is dripping the attys is the preferred for flavor.

With an inverted feeder like you have---feeding/ for dripped taste is hassle free.

That being the case an LR atty will get you the boost to fire it up in style.

My advice would be buy An AW brand 18650 and either a LR 306, or LR 510, or lr 510 cartomizer..” 2.0 ohm is a good range to start with, also standard resistance attys

You can use a dime or a penny to fill out for a short bat---just leave room for the spring to collapse --It's a SAFETY FEATURE no one should be without in these fast and giddy times... Both a Dime and or a penny may be used to snug up the short Orange 18650 High Drain AWs in your Phidias.

They are short because they are "safer" chemistry and so do not have protections circuits like the black Lithium ion types...

As always leave some spring in your spring… If you can see space between the coils of the spring after its in---you should be ok..

You see the battery is longer when its angled for insertion--could be a tight bat to insert--once in-- is really ok...

Battery Suggestions:

My (Fono’s) set:
Aw 2600mAh. (black flat top)
AW 1600mAh. (orange IMR)

Jimho’s:
Fit: 2 stacked Tenergy RCR123a LiFePo4's (for 6v)

For 5v vaping, ElectronicStix sells a NIMH battery that is the same size as an 18650.

Other various members use the 18650 AW IMR; The AW 18650 2900mah, and the Redilast brand of Batteries

Be careful out there, battery failures are no joke, your Phidias was designed with safety in mind.
AW importers and exporters of America; RtdVapor.com; and Super T are ecf suppliers of Aw batteries. Other folks use Lighthound.com or go to Redilast.
DON’T discharge below 3.5v or your battery won’t last long

Chargers:

WF-139, WF-188, TR-001
and of course the wonderful Pila for 18650 batteries and 5v
Haoba HP-2010 for 6v. see electronicStix for 5v charger.

GET YOURSELF A MULTIMETER TO CHECK YOUR ATTYS AND BATTERIES!

g. Other Tips

*If you need another extras packet for bottles etc…contact Fono if ElectronicStix.com is out.

*button sticking even after the bottle is broken in: lightly wax ( a candle will work) or sand the edges of the feed button and put it back on the way it came off.

*If the button is still hard to press after a good few days of attempted bottle break in and following the above suggestions, you can get these nifty little Self-adhesive Clear Rubber Feet Bumpons: Amazon.com: Self-adhesive Clear Rubber Feet Bumpons (100 pack): Arts, Crafts & Sewing. add one of these to the back of your button, or simply put a small piece of paper behind your bottle to push it forward a bit

*dry vape? Not enough juice is getting to your atty. Start over and re-prime the feed line.
*juice in the mouth? Your feeding it too frequently, or tilting way too far up using the fire and feed.
* juice everywhere?: Clean it up as soon as you notice it. I’d say, you do not have the bottle tightened enough, you are using too much of a tilt when you use the fire and feed or you are over feeding(pressing the button too often). You can simply place a small wad of paper towel under the bottle until you get the hang of things.

MORE QUESTIONS? We are all here to help. Come to the phidias celebration sale thread! Don’t feel embarrassed.

if not, i'm sure a moderator will let me know:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread