The Phidias by fono - Bottom Feeder Review (Wood Box Mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
My goodness! I just watched (and commented on) your Backwoods Brew Maple Tobacco review. This is another good one. Although I did experience some annoyances:

In that other review, you used the Ali'i. Here you compared this version of the Phidias with the earlier one. I would have appreciated a comparison with the Ali'i as well. Similarly, what size juice bottle does this use? 3 ml like the P Woodie Feedie (as I call it)?

I always thought that Drew at NHaler handmade the Phidias Woodimus. Who is this guy, fono? [ECF member, fonosmoak, I guess.] Has he always made all the Phidias Woodimases for NHaler?

Posting the link here in your ECF post would be nice. I did find a link on the YouTube video page to the 211-page thread, which (I assume) describes it somewhere and talks about price.

FreeFlow

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
London, Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
I love constructive criticism and I really appreciate your comments :)
I am fairly new to this review thing and i'm still trying to figure out the best format for me to give all the information I want to and still keep it under 10 mins. I could literally talk for 20 minutes about many mods.. But past reviews have run long and I don't want to be the guy with the 15 minute reviews.. I guess I figured most people who are looking for a mod have enough experience to know a 3ml bottle when they see it. This review I admit I kinda assume you've seen my past reviews or at least know about the Phidias or "Woody". I will try better to get more info in next time ;)

But to answer your questions.

Yes it's a 3ml bottle. And yes View Profile: fonosmoak - E-Cigarette Forum is the original designer/creator. The Phidias's that you can buy from nHaler are not the same as fono is selling now. The nHaler versions are the original Woody's created by fono and sold by nHaler (Drew and fono no longer do business) before he had the feed system in them. nHalers now have feed systems that Drew has retro fitted into his old Woody stock. These are not the same as what fono is now selling on his own. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-suppliers-forum/122134-phidias-celebration-sale.html This is the link to fono's thread here on ECF. It's lengthy but some good info. If you want to order one you need to email him and the email can be found all over the thread I just gave you. I didn't feel good about putting fono's email on you tube.. not sure why.

As far as the comparison you say you would have liked to have seen with the Ali'i.. i'm not going to do it again. For me the Ali'i is still the winner with it's 6ml bottle and superior feed system. But this new and improved Phidias is leaps and bounds ahead of his previous version and with the wait on an Ali'i I think the Phidias is another great option. It's truly a beautiful device and if you love wood mods you need to have one!

I could go on and on witch is why I didn't talk about most of this in the video.. I haven't even mentioned the divine proportions this device is made with. Perhaps a follow up one day for that.

I hope his answers your questions, thanks again for the comment :D

My goodness! I just watched (and commented on) your Backwoods Brew Maple Tobacco review. This is another good one. Although I did experience some annoyances:

In that other review, you used the Ali'i. Here you compared this version of the Phidias with the earlier one. I would have appreciated a comparison with the Ali'i as well. Similarly, what size juice bottle does this use? 3 ml like the P Woodie Feedie (as I call it)?

I always thought that Drew at NHaler handmade the Phidias Woodimus. Who is this guy, fono? [ECF member, fonosmoak, I guess.] Has he always made all the Phidias Woodimases for NHaler?

Posting the link here in your ECF post would be nice. I did find a link on the YouTube video page to the 211-page thread, which (I assume) describes it somewhere and talks about price.

FreeFlow

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
London, Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
wow.. maybe i came off sarcastic with my response? it wasn't my intention..

was just trying to answer honestly why i forgot to mention that stuff, i know it was my mistake to omit and assume.. in my head i was like "i've talked about that already"

I guess I don't have enough experience yet to watch your videos. Perhaps in another 18 months.

In the future, I certainly will view all of them prior to posting a comment about any.

I'll close by reiterating:

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
wow.. maybe i came off sarcastic with my response? it wasn't my intention..

was just trying to answer honestly why i forgot to mention that stuff, i know it was my mistake to omit and assume.. in my head i was like "i've talked about that already"

but whatever.. be a jerk about it :p

You are not in the Grimm Army are you?

FreeFlow

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
London, Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
Freeflow relax my man and take a chill pill. PM inbound...

hehe got your pm, thanks, i felt kinda insulted by Booms second post in this thread and then i thought u were following suit.. i really wasn't aware of what you were referring to, but it felt negative.

Thanks for clearing it up Switcher :D

<3

Last edited:

FreeFlow

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
London, Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
This looks like the juice would leak down the needle onto the bottle, making a mess. Not true and if not why?

Good video!

:)

I would think the same. And it has. I've seen a drop of liquid on the needle on the inside of the box. Doesn't happen often and when it has it hasn't been enough liquid to make any kind of mess.

Good observation MacDiver.

Because the needle gets inserted into a hole that is slightly wider then the needle diameter there is room for juice to drop back down the outside of the needle. I thought this would be a big issue, don't know why.. but it isn't :)

and me and Boom are cool now :) I can see why he thought i was knockin him. but he knows now that I truely wasn't.

Sewknitty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2010
NY
shesaquitter.wordpress.com
I neglected to mention that this device does 6v with two RCR123a batteries as well as 3.7v with one 18650 3.7v battery.

The Phidias shown in the video is made of Quartersawn Wenge with Padauk top, bottom and inlays.

What voltage do you use most? My only experience is with the WetBox, which feeds drops to a carto through a needle tip. Here's a dumb question but one I've been dying to ask: do the bottom feeder mods that squirt onto attys rreally eplicate dripping? I'm assuming yes but with your multi-mod experience you'd be the one to confirm, deny or otherwise educate.

Thanks for the review!

FreeFlow

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
London, Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
What voltage do you use most? My only experience is with the WetBox, which feeds drops to a carto through a needle tip. Here's a dumb question but one I've been dying to ask: do the bottom feeder mods that squirt onto attys rreally eplicate dripping? I'm assuming yes but with your multi-mod experience you'd be the one to confirm, deny or otherwise educate.

Thanks for the review!

My answer would be yes, but I've seen a few comments where people say they don't like the taste of bottom feeding as much as dripping. I don't get it.. Tastes the same to me.

And on the Phidias I only vape @ 3.7v these days.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
My answer would be yes, but I've seen a few comments where people say they don't like the taste of bottom feeding as much as dripping. I don't get it.. Tastes the same to me.

And on the Phidias I only vape @ 3.7v these days.

... with one caveat. All attys require to be blown out occasionally or you will get an off taste, same as dripping. This is what I call spent liquid that doesn't totally vaporise. It is my experience that it occurs in all applications, whether using carts, dripping or bottom feeding. Cartos are the same, most just say they go stale. <---- same difference with the exception that we don't normally blow them out.

IMO dripping does give a crisper taste, although only slightly. Therefore, the difference goes towards the hassle free use of bottom feeders, especially on commutes.

slantdeyevision

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2010
NC
... with one caveat. All attys require to be blown out occasionally or you will get an off taste, same as dripping. This is what I call spent liquid that doesn't totally vaporise. It is my experience that it occurs in all applications, whether using carts, dripping or bottom feeding. Cartos are the same, most just say they go stale. <---- same difference with the exception that we don't normally blow them out.

IMO dripping does give a crisper taste, although only slightly. Therefore, the difference goes towards the hassle free use of bottom feeders, especially on commutes.

I agree with your statement, I own a Phidias and I've noticed that the vape tastes better when I directly drip. I love my Phidias but tend to use it when I'm on the go and don't want to hassle around with dripping constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread