The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Simple, easy DIY test for mg/mL nicotine. A Follow Up on DVAP's Method

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Þornbjörg, Oct 19, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. pimpe

pimpe Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2011
    Australia
    i can only find 0.02N Sulfuric Acid. can i used that instead?

2. VapRon

VapRon Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 6, 2011
    FL
    Hi all,

I was wondering if I could use Reverse Osmose water (R/O) which is 98.3 pure since I produce that for my Aquariums.

3. Youmadbrah

Youmadbrah Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Cairo,Egypt
    I don't understand this

9-Add a drop of acid
    10-Swirl to mix
    11-If the color of the solution didn't turn pale yellow, repeat 8-9
    12-Measure the final volume
    13-Subtract 3 from the number you read in step 11
    14-Multiply the result of step 12 by 19.4712

Should I subtract 3 from the final volume then multiply by 19.4712 ?? Didn't u mean subtract 3 from number I read in step 12 ??

And btw , the 0.12N SA is dead. Here is the right one
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/products_reagent_Info.asp?ReagentID=2292

4. Malawi

Malawi Full Member Verified Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Does it matter weather the Bromothymol Blue is in 0.1, 0.04 or other concentration, or does the higher solution only give more colour?

Normally it only says Bromothymol Blue solution, without any indication of the concentration. Is there any possibility that BB from different vendors may give different results?

5. mjradik

mjradik Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 8, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    THe blue concentration shouldn't matter. I've done the test with alot of blue (making it more concentrated) and doesn't skew it. I did 25 drops blue to 1 ml nic... thats alot. Gives alot more color. So .1 consentration should be fine.

6. tsunami987

tsunami987 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2012
    Metro East STL
    Tried to do some research on some older rainbow pool chem test bottles which I bought... Thought it'd be the right stuff. Then I read that one little part of the op that said not to use total alkalinity test chemicals. The stuff I grabbed is "solution 3" Acid Demand and Total Alkalinity. If my test proved to be right, my nic would be 154mg... I bought 50. Gonna have to wait for the other pool supply store to get the right stuff in before I use this juice at all, lol.

7. Koman

Koman Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2010
    lv
    I think you can!

8. Scottinboca

Scottinboca Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 14, 2011
    Planet Vapton
  9. MegaVaper

MegaVaper Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 4, 2012
    Albany
    How yellow is pale yellow? will it turn a little yellow until it turns pale yellow, or will it just go directly to pale yellow after enough acid.

Edit: Ive just conducted 2 test. tools - SA 0.1N from wizard labs, BB 0.04 AS from wizard

Test 1: on 100mg/ml pg nic from wizard labs. Result 5.4 x 19.47 = 105.138
    Notes: Started almost clear or pale yellow, turned light blue, acid turned it back to its original color. Light blue and pale yellow here where so hard to tell apart as both were almost clear white.

Test 2: on 16mg/ml Pg vanilla from Bloog. Result - i cant *u*kin* tell =[
    Notes: This vanilla is a very dark brown. Lighten up alittle with the water and the blue. Looks a like a lighter brown. Started to add acid... Never really turned pale yellow. The shades of brown just kept getting lighter and lighter almost to pale yellow, but could easily just be another shade of brown.

Remarks: There has to be a better way...maybe i will just try it with water instead of acid. Since most liquids are brown im sure ill get the pale yellow.

10. Rocketman

Rocketman Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Adding more blue will increase the color density.
    Pale Yellow is the total absence of Green :)
    The solution will go from blue to green to no green. Not even a hint of green :)

Flavored juices may impact the acidity in addition to masking the color.

Getting 105mg/ml result from 100mg/ml is exactly what the test is supposed to do.
    Measurement accuracy of the Nic added, the volume before the acid, and the volume of acid added, and the yellowness of the yellow impact test results.

If you make 1% accurate measurements, have the solution 'blue enough' you may be able to get within about 3% of the true value. Maybe. With a pH meter and .1% measurements maybe +/-1%.

BTW, I got about 98.5mg/ml from mine .

11. Koman

Jan 7, 2010
    lv
  12. renegade13

renegade13 Full Member

Feb 24, 2013
    panama city fl
  13. mrcoolbp

mrcoolbp Senior Member ECF Veteran

Stand back, I'm gonna try some Science:evil:! (Love that!)

Okay, tested a labeled 36mg/ml sample. Came out to 33.1mg/ml ~90% accuracy. Not bad:2cool:. Pics for those interested follow.

Here is the sample just before it indicates yellow:
    image.jpg

And two more drops of H[SUB]2[/SUB]SO[SUB]4[/SUB] yielded:
    image.jpg

Notes: the original instructions aren't worded exactly as someone pointed out but if you follow the example it will make sense. Also I tested "House Blend" from CopperCreek which is a medium brown eliquid with no problems discerning color, so it can be done (possibly depending on how dark in color your sample is or presence of acid).

14. LoriP1702

LoriP1702 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Please forgive me if this is a totally stupid question, but do I need to do this testing if I'm purchasing the nicotine already mixed with VG?
    I purchased from WL, so I was hoping I didn't. :(

15. mrcoolbp

mrcoolbp Senior Member ECF Veteran

From what I gather, most liquids are testing as they are labeled, but I've heard reports of a few that didn't. Luckily, Wizard Labs is well respected around here so you should be alright. I just like to be safe especially with higher concentrations where it can get dangerous.

16. LoriP1702

LoriP1702 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  17. VClouds

VClouds Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Seattle
    Just stumbled across this and thought it might be interesting to those that don't want to track down all the bits and pieces themselves.

Wizards Labs (one of our trusted nicotine suppliers) is having a sale on a complete test kit here.
    Nicotine Test Kit

18. Koman

Jan 7, 2010
    lv
    Thanks for the link. Useful!

19. Johnnysb
    This message by Johnnysb has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jan 22, 2014, Reason: Linkspammer.
    Sep 27, 2013
  20. peejglass

peejglass Full Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Awesome write-up. I'm going to be doing some DIY soon.

21. dahlialady

dahlialady Senior Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 2, 2013
    Montreal
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.