Simple Hints, Tips, and Tricks for Vapers [To Save Time And Money]

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelligentDesigner

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If anyone wants to enter the world of Advanced Personal Vaporizers (APVs), look no further than the eGo-C Twist/Vision Spinner and a well known/much reviewed Rebuildable Atomizer (rba) like the Vision Eternity.

I think a lot of people will disagree with this one. Sometimes one wants to crank the voltage higher than 5 V, and have 3000 mAh of power to get through the entire day, along with some of the other capabilities offered by the 18650 mods and such.

My tip, a very common tip that I'm surprised has not been mentioned yet:

Have backups for your backups and then have a plan B for the failure of all your backups.

OnTheFidele

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Thanks for the tips, guys! I'm also a big supporter of backup plans within backup plans.

And to clarify, my statement about the Twist and Eternity were for those wanting to easily enter the world of APVs. Some people who are curious about VV and RBAs need a relatively easy inlet into the hobby. The Twist and Eternity/IGO-S/etc. can provide that for a lot of people without them having to worry about batteries, chargers, voltage drops, VW, etc. This simple setup gives beginners a chance to tackle a more shallow learning curve in perfecting their vape. My own Twist + Eternity is technically a backup of a backup, but I still use it almost every day. Great form factor compared to my mechanical, 1000 mAh is nothing to laugh at, and with lower resistance coils a max of 4.8V is no problem.

Cheers!

I think a lot of people will disagree with this one. Sometimes one wants to crank the voltage higher than 5 V, and have 3000 mAh of power to get through the entire day, along with some of the other capabilities offered by the 18650 mods and such.

IntelligentDesigner

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the tips, guys! I'm also a big supporter of backup plans within backup plans.

And to clarify, my statement about the Twist and Eternity were for those wanting to easily enter the world of APVs. Some people who are curious about VV and RBAs need a relatively easy inlet into the hobby. The Twist and Eternity/IGO-S/etc. can provide that for a lot of people without them having to worry about batteries, chargers, voltage drops, VW, etc. This simple setup gives beginners a chance to tackle a more shallow learning curve in perfecting their vape. My own Twist + Eternity is technically a backup of a backup, but I still use it almost every day. Great form factor compared to my mechanical, 1000 mAh is nothing to laugh at, and with lower resistance coils a max of 4.8V is no problem.

Cheers!

Alrighty then. Well, yeah. The eGo T is almost certainly the top recommended PV for those wishing to expand beyond the cig-a-likes. In that case, you're not likely to find many people who DISagree. Pardon my misunderstanding.

OnTheFidele

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
No problem, IntelligentDesigner. We're all about helping those relatively new to more advanced forms of vaping. A couple of my vaping friends have decided that the Twist would be the most complex they will ever go. They just bought a handful of Twists, a couple of tanks, and a bunch of pre-punched cartos. and were satisfied. Not as deeply satisfying as dripping, but does the job.

sgenn99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I thought that would be a good idea myself. I don't know where to look for the tiny rubberbands though. (?) What's working well enough for me is numbering my eVods with silver Sharpie and keeping a register in my case. It's not terribly unattractive, and the Sharpie washes off the metal tube pretty easily.

i found the rubber bands at walgreen's or target, in the hair accessories section.

sgenn99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
i started vaping with ego twists, and i've since moved on to (many) other (bigger) pv type things. however, i always...ALWAYS! have a freshly powered twist in my vape bag (which everybody should have!), just in case.

the twist/spinner/whatever you want to call it is a fantastic little invention, and it's way less intimidating than, say a bombshell stinger or a pro vari, when you're trying to show someone how cool vaping is. i've converted 3 friends from smokers to vapers!!!

BWhare

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Indiana
Oddly enough, teflon tape works well on a CCTS. I got tired of the wobble in 18650 mode and gave it a try. The tape is cut by the threads so the electrical integrity is kept intact and it works like a charm. It now has no wobble to speak of and the connection is still great.

Besides, I wanted the little green arrow beside this thread so I wouldn't miss it when I scanned the "general" section and wanted to see what was new....

hotrod3539

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Pickerington, Ohio U.S.A
When you have used the last of your "plumbers tape" AKA Teflon Tape, give the container it was wrapped on and its cover a wipe down then wrap your wicking material (silica, cotton) on it, pop the cover back on, and BAM!!! Nice clean and neat storage for your wick!!! (You might wanna label the outside to prevent confusion.)

OnTheFidele

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
hotrod3539, wow, that's a real gem of a tip! Very practical, small form factor, and aesthetically pleasing.

By the way guys, did a quick experiment on quickly cleaning a coil with alcohol (vodka, in my case). I only patted down the wicks, dipped the coil in vodka for a few seconds, proceeded to dry-burn, dipped again, and dry-burned until the coil was clean (scraping as necessary). Took me 2-3 minutes or so while watching a show. Would probably be quicker with a higher voltage, too (I did this at 3.2 volts on my Twist).

Cheers!

Last edited:

OnTheFidele

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Hey guys,

Quick tip for those just getting into mechanical mods: many of the more inexpensive mods have CHROME PLATED BRASS CONTACTS. You will be doing your vape a BIG favor if you sand/hone down the chrome to expose the brass.

Also, if you don't like a particular flavor, let it steep (many threads on this topic) and give it a second try. You bought the flavor for a reason and might save you money in getting new juices. I almost gave a bottle of my Highbrow Vapor Espresso away until I tried it again a few days ago (after a month of steeping) and it ended up being very good. The flavors just needed time to meld.

Cheers!

Zang

Verified Member
Jan 19, 2013
BC Canada
I'm in Canada and I totally agree that diy juice is the way to go. My problem is I'm wanting to order liquid nicotine to start to mix my own, but I'm worried about Customs confiscating it if I order from another country. Health Canada has a ban on liquid nicotine but won't make it illegal so as to hold it in limbo. Can't find good info on a reliable source. I like brick and mortar stores but feel I'm getting pushed to buy online.

That HC has a ban on liquid nicotine is a myth that has been perpetrated since 2009. It only has an advisory against it because they know hardly anything about it and vaping. Here is some info. in regards to this, but just search the Canadian forum for much more. Also you can get nic base in Canada. PM me if you like. Health Canada's E-Cig restrictions deserve to go up in smoke - The Weal

jmalone

Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Minnesota
All you DIY juicers: Go to Walmart and pick up some Watkins Imitation Strawberry Extract -- 59 mL for $2.48. It's really very good. I use 10% in my mixture and it's one of my favorite flavors. Cheap and delicious! Ingredients: Water, propylene glycol, alcohol (18%), and artificial flavor. (It's a good idea to avoid any extracts with oil or acid in the ingredients.) :vapor:

Over_Stimulation

Moved On
Mar 10, 2013
I'm a noob (still using/loving my twist and spinner) but I saw a youtube vid today on T3's (Kanger)...I personally prefer vivi novas, but anyway...T3's have a tendancy to gurgle (commonly due to excess air flow where the drip tip meets the tall metal tube inside the drip tip) well if u ram an ice pick, or even a prong from a regular metal eating fork down the drip tip, into the top of the metal tube and make circular motions forcing the top 1/4 inch of the tube to widen out (think of a TINY metal funnel) causing it to touch the plastic of the surrounding drip tip...it creates a much stiffer air flow, and has eliminated 90% of my gurgling issues with T3's...hope this makes sense and is rellivant...

mare ze dotes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
WI/Boston
All you DIY juicers: Go to Walmart and pick up some Watkins Imitation Strawberry Extract -- 59 mL for $2.48. It's really very good. I use 10% in my mixture and it's one of my favorite flavors. Cheap and delicious! Ingredients: Water, propylene glycol, alcohol (18%), and artificial flavor. (It's a good idea to avoid any extracts with oil or acid in the ingredients.) :vapor:

Great Idea. I am going to try this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread