Single coil help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfoster

Dec 14, 2017
Adirondacks, NY
I’m still considering myself a newbie with this stuff.

A little while back I got a kensei and I’ve been loving it. Not sure if I was just lucky with it off the bat but it gives awesome
flavor and hits hard, better than I imagined. Recently I’ve been eyeing the kylin MINI and finally pulled the trigger on one.

After almost a week I’ve made no progress. It doesn’t have near the flavor of my kensei, which I thought at the very least it should about match it. I’ve tried a number of builds ranging from .25 up to 1.0 ohm at various wattages (using a VW mod) and all wicking has been with rayon. coils have been the one included as well as a few kanthal Clapton’s and stainless Clapton’s all either 3.5 or 3mm ID.

Not sure what direction to go in but I was really hoping to enjoy this single coil. Considering all the reviews I figure it’s got to be my inexperience holding this thing back

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
0AD17E5D-E530-43CA-8215-02DFA6877AA9.jpeg
DC534D71-FC31-488C-8713-8E5C06484972.jpeg
0754C3A3-6F5B-45B8-A622-29240BC6AAB1.jpeg
I’m still considering myself a newbie with this stuff.

A little while back I got a kensei and I’ve been loving it. Not sure if I was just lucky with it off the bat but it gives awesome
flavor and hits hard, better than I imagined. Recently I’ve been eyeing the kylin MINI and finally pulled the trigger on one.

After almost a week I’ve made no progress. It doesn’t have near the flavor of my kensei, which I thought at the very least it should about match it. I’ve tried a number of builds ranging from .25 up to 1.0 ohm at various wattages (using a VW mod) and all wicking has been with rayon. Coils have been the one included as well as a few kanthal Clapton’s and stainless Clapton’s all either 3.5 or 3mm ID.

Not sure what direction to go in but I was really hoping to enjoy this single coil. Considering all the reviews I figure it’s got to be my inexperience holding this thing back
There’s a thread over at VU just search for VV Kylin Mini Rta. I have one & here’s some pics to see if it’ll help you out.
Lightning Vapes Fused Clapton 26*2 Ni80/36 Ni80 3mm i.d. 5 wraps .30 ohms. I’m using Delasco Rayon Balls. Didn’t have to do the usual rayon trimming.

dfoster

Dec 14, 2017
Adirondacks, NY
Thanks for the reply

I’ll head over there when I catch a few minutes to sit down tonight, thanks for that tip. Also, the first thing I noticed when looking at your pictures is that your coil is sitting a lot lower than I have had any of my coils. Due to the size of the small chamber they can’t be too high but maybe that’s an easy change for me to try tonight

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Thanks for the reply

I’ll head over there when I catch a few minutes to sit down tonight, thanks for that tip. Also, the first thing I noticed when looking at your pictures is that your coil is sitting a lot lower than I have had any of my coils. Due to the size of the small chamber they can’t be too high but maybe that’s an easy change for me to try tonight
No problem. Lower coils was for better flavor. Definitely check out the thread lots of good tips.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I’m new to rta’s also and was surprised at the difference coil placement made with flavor. A few mm here and a few mm there can make all the difference. That’s all I got being a newbie myself but good luck to you I hope you get it figured out. We never stop learning

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The truth is that every atomizer is different, and needs a unique combination of airflow, coil configuration, wicking and power to get the results that makes you happy. There are a lot of variables and a fair bit of experimentation is usually required in most cases to make it sing.

dfoster

Dec 14, 2017
Adirondacks, NY
Thanks for all the help everybody.

I lowered my coil similar to hearts pictures above and that definitely helped, but it still seemed a bit airy for me. It got better when closing the air slots a bit but I didn’t like the added restrictiveness. After watching the vid Izan posted the link to I figured I’d try a bigger diameter coil. I used a 11/32 drill bit, which is about 4.35mm and did 5 wraps with ss316 fused 26ga clapton wire. With the air wide open it’s tasting much more like I imagine it should and denser clouds. I also adjusted my wicking slightly so the tails only cover about half the screw head in the juice port, not going all the way to the bottom like I was doing before. Wicking didn’t seem an issue before but I thought I’d try to keep things consistent with what you guys and gals and telling/showing me.

robby_h

Verified Member
Mar 9, 2018
Mine is a flavor machine that is for sure. A friend has one and his was pretty plain when he brought it over. I checked it out and ended up lowering his coil and lightened up on the wicking. I think it was more the wicking was the issue as it was a pretty dry vape. One it got saturated it was as good as mine is.

I have the full size one so my deck is a little diff. I think yours would produce better flavor as it is smaller buid area I think.

ZgcnwhM.jpg

yvNLq6s.jpg

dfoster

Dec 14, 2017
Adirondacks, NY
The latest...

I feel like I’ve got it, which was no doubt cool position as well as wicking. Even though I wasn’t getting dry hits, flavor just got better when I have thin tails falling about half way of the screw heads. In my funny attempts at trying something new for no good reason I fell into something that seems to work awesome... two coils. I know there’s not much room, and there’s really no reason but I couldn’t help myself from trying. Since the room is limited I used 2mm id and wrapped with fused kanthal 28*2x36 which is about 0.35 ohms. I can feel the air is a bit more restricted but not bad. The flavor is pretty wild though so I thought I had to share. If anything I just wanted to say thanks again for the help getting this tank running properly, as I was plenty happy with how this tank was going as a single once you all straightened me out. I’m a tinkerer so even if something works I like to play with other stuff and I thought it was cool seeing two little coils getting it done.

Attachments

• 72824519-A2C2-47A8-8444-835559A20BD2.jpeg
    72824519-A2C2-47A8-8444-835559A20BD2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread