Status
Not open for further replies.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
The caramelization should be at other parts of the wick too.

I have juice get dark and it makes the entire wick ugly.

I still say it is scorched.

Right, normally my wicks are brown throughout after weeks of vaping. However, the OP's wick is probably only a couple days old.

And again, if it is indeed scorched, theres no way the vape will taste right. You can tell immediately from vaping when you should rewick.

Trust the taste test :)

Reactions: Cheallaigh

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Right, normally my wicks are brown throughout after weeks of vaping. However, the OP's wick is probably only a couple days old.

And again, if it is indeed scorched, theres no way the vape will taste right. You can tell immediately from vaping when you should rewick.

All Depends on how badly scorched it is.

I screwed tge Kayfun on the wrong mod and fired it at 15 watts when i use 10 watts or less. Tge wick SCORCHED immediately. I saw what i had done i backed the wattage down to 8 watts and still vaping the same wick and doesnt taste scorched at all but i'm sure if i pulled the wick i'm sure it would be scorched at the coil.

Waiting to empty tge Kayfun before rewicking.

eddykoodoo

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2016
But yeah, that is normal (the cotton turning brown).... :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

But so much brown with just 10 ml of eliquid?
Can you check your cotton after 10 ml and check your cotton when you usually change the head and post pictures?
So we can understand what condition should be the cottom before being replaced...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Can you check your cotton after 10 ml and check your cotton when you usually change the head and post pictures?
So we can understand what condition should be the cottom before being replaced...

My wicks Don't look like that after 30ml.

But what you have to Remember is I use basically Unflavored/Unsweetened e-Liquids at what most would consider to be Low Wattages. And Seldom get Dry Hits.

I don't change a Coil or Wick based on what it Looks like. I change them when the Hit starts to Lose Flavor. Or when the Hit starts to Taste Burnt.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas

Using unflavored 80%vg & 20% water at 7.2w, what you’re seeing is coil gunk leaching off the coil onto the cotton.
Because of the high vg & water content & low power, the temperature of the coil never gets high enough to fully vaporize the liquid, this un vaporized residual leaves a coating on the coil, this gooey coating (coil gunk) builds up in caramelized layers, because it is still in a gooey state when heated it flows more readily which transfers color to the cotton.

If you look for problems where none exist, you’ll never be satisfied / happy with anything.

What you’re seeing is normal considering your preferred vaping method.

eddykoodoo

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2016

But what you have to Remember is I use basically Unflavored/Unsweetened e-Liquids at what most would consider to be Low Wattages. And Seldom get Dry Hits.

I don't change a Coil or Wick based on what it Looks like. I change them when the Hit starts to Lose Flavor. Or when the Hit starts to Taste Burnt.

I vape at 7.22 watts only so i believe the only problem is the liquid 80% VG and 20% H20 but it is unflavored so shouldn't be a big issue...

eddykoodoo

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2016
Using unflavored 80%vg & 20% water at 7.2w, what you’re seeing is coil gunk leaching off the coil onto the cotton.
Because of the high vg & water content & low power, the temperature of the coil never gets high enough to fully vaporize the liquid, this un vaporized residual leaves a coating on the coil, this gooey coating (coil gunk) builds up in caramelized layers, because it is still in a gooey state when heated it flows more readily which transfers color to the cotton.

If you look for problems where none exist, you’ll never be satisfied / happy with
anything.

What you’re seeing is normal considering your preferred vaping method.

Even if i don't use any flavour in my liquid caramelization is possible?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I vape at 7.22 watts only so i believe the only problem is the liquid 80% VG and 20% H20 but it is unflavored so shouldn't be a big issue...

I use about 20%PG|80%VG basically Unflavored. My Cotton doesn't look like that after 10ml.

But my Wicks could look like that in a Very Short Time if my Wicking was done Incorrectly. And if I the Wick was running Dry at the End of a Hit.

eddykoodoo

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2016
since you trust none of what those who are experienced have told you... do your own research, stop asking others, you wont believe anyone anyway.. and if you're that insecure about your vaping, try a patch or gum.

Sorry but some of you said is scortched and some of you camerelization how can i find out?
Cause i never got a dry hit with this hardware but if is scortched so badly after just 10 ml maybe i should change atomizer working better with VG liquid

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
What he's using is basically an off brand ego twist/clearomizer, if it really bothers you that much try a TC mod, set up right it won't be able to burn your wick so you can stop worrying about this issue... Maybe a different clearomizer too.

in my rta's when I'm not using TC, the cotton usually takes about 3-4 days to start looking brownish, then I replace it. That's about normal for heavy use imo.

btw theres nothing harmful here, my gf lets her coils get way worse before rewicking. So yeah, you have a thread full of answers. Something tells me you won't listen to any though. lol.

Last edited:

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
you have 3 pages with this thread, pages on another thread explaining how it works and what happens with juices... no matter how many times people say it, you are ignoring it.

Normal, nothing to worry about or change.

It could be slightly burnt, but again nothing to worry about... sometimes the sweetener and heating sort of cook a juice, and makes the liquid darker which stains the cotton

Yeah - it's COTTON, getting repeatedly heated - it's just getting a little toasted, but not burnt (or you'd taste it).
Maybe some less WATER in the mix might actually help - water doesn't turn to vapor very well, surprisingly. You could thin with PG if that's not an issue for you...

The Cotton in contact with the Coil turning slightly Dark after 2 or 3 days is Perfectly Normal. And doesn't necessarily mean that you are Scorching your Cotton.

Because as your Coil gets "Gunked Up" from continued use, so will the Cotton.

If you run the Cotton Dry, sure, you will Scorch it. But for Normal use where the Cotton is always Saturated, some darkening is just the Cotton getting Dirty.

BTW - If you use Heavily Sweetened or Flavored e-Liquids, the "Gunking" of the Coil and the Cotton can happen Very Fast. Whereas, lightly Sweetened and Flavored e-Liquids Gunk Up the Coil/Cotton slower.

the browning is most likely caused by caramelization of the sweetener in your eliquid and should be normal.

I would only worry if the vape begins to taste funky or if you see burnt wicking material (black charred cotton / wtv material you're using).

Can't Say Definitively. But that looks a little Scorched to me. But it could just be Gunk.

It also looks like the "Tails" on the Cotton are Very Short.

Well, as a comparison, you could burn up that whole wick and still only get a fraction of the crap from one cigarette.

You would be amazed that even plain VG will leave dark deposits on the wick in contact with the coil and the coil itself. (within a few hours of use)

Given time unflavored VG+Nic will gunk up a coil. I dry burn mine every few months. The water has nothing to do with it.

I use (currently) %33 H2O and up to %66 H2O. Wicking for high H2O percentages can be a challenge however the payoff is less non-water matter in your lungs, faster vapor dissipation and possibly better nicotine absorption.

I would not worry about a little discoloration. My coils/wick look pretty narley when I finally get around to cleaning them.

Looks like any coil and cotton I've used after three days. I clean the coil and rewick. Whoever said their cotton was lily white after vaping are you at 2 watts? :rolleyes:
If you want to know if the cotton is scorched vs carmlized /discolored, pull the cotton out and rinse it in hot or even soapy water, if it stays black/ brown its scorched. Mine are mostly discolored and a little scorched. Hot coil and juice, cotton-its gonna happen. :D

Carmelization is at the coil because it's hotter there than the rest of the wick.

Eventually the 'gunk' will effect performance. THEN you have something to need to deal with by ether replacing the coil (factory atomizer) or pull the wick and dry burn (or rebuild entirely).

Until the performance degrades all your looking at is some discoloration. Nothing to worry about.

Is there a ratio?
Cotton to lung discoloration scale?
Until someone dreams one up, i wouldn't sweat it..

You know for sure theres something wrong with your wick or coils when your vape starts to taste bad. Until then you fine 99.99% of the time.

But yeah, that is normal (the cotton turning brown).... :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That brown could be the carmelization(I think that's a word) of sugars and heat.

San Antonio,Texas

that's just this thread...

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
After 2 or 3 days of vaping even if my coil was working really well i was curious to open and see how it is inside...
Would like to understand if is harmful and i need to change my hardware of is something is really common with cotton wicks nothing to worry about since i don't feel any burn taste or dry hit never since i used this coil?

Do you think silica is a better option over cotton for wick?

Sorry but some of you said is scortched and some of you camerelization how can i find out?
Cause i never got a dry hit with this hardware but if is scortched so badly after just 10 ml maybe i should change atomizer working better with VG liquid

No caramelization for you juice. The week could be a bit scorched, that's all.
Not harmful. Enjoy your vape.
For most people (me included) silica is a worse choice, cotton works better.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The OP is using replaceable head clearo, not a re buildable.

You're not getting a burnt taste because the wicking is not burnt.
You're not getting a reduction in wicking ability and the flavor isn't off, odd, funky or reduced so your wicking material is not scorched.

What you are seeing is normal.
Very easy to prove to yourself.
Set the power to 12 - 15 watts, keep vaping as normal, soon you will notice an off taste, then funky strange taste this is scorching, keep vaping you'll notice a toasty dry taste, then a dry burnt taste, take a few more vapes and you will go, wow nasty yuck = burnt wicking material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread