Smelling Your Flavors by: Boogenshizzle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to discuss a little something that many mixers have thought about but never really gave it much salt. Smelling. Smelling your flavors. When you exhale, you taste most of your vape right?

I have an extremely sensitive olfactory sense. I smell EVERYTHING. It's actually, quite annoying. I smell things on people, that one should never be subjected to. Now, while my sniffer is more sensitive than most, this article applies to you.

Most of my best mixes have been designed by smell, THEN by taste. I know it sounds crazy, but hear me out. Get you some perfume sticks. You know, the little cards they spray perfume on at the department store? Yeah, there are stick versions. Amazon has them by the thousands and they are cheap and easily attainable.

You should know pretty much what the range is that the manufacturer uses their flavors. This will always be different for each manufacturer as some have really low usage and really high usage. You will discover what percent to use each flavoring at …. BY SMELL!

So here's what I like to do:

Put a few drops of the flavor you are inquiring about on the end of a stick. This is usually the product of you knowing what you want to make (a general recipe) and setting the ingredients up, but not sure what percent to use them at in your recipe. Set it straight up in a holder or something to keep the sticks separate.

Smell the stick at 1 minute. While smelling try to get the full effect across your tongue.

Based on your knowledge of the general use for the manufacturer, write what you think you need to use the flavoring at and how it smells. Sweet, light, strong, point out the flavors you smell, the greens, the fruit, the flesh etc..... This we will call the shake and vape...

Then smell it again after 5 minutes. Write down how strong it is, and how it's changed. If it has mellowed a lot then you know you'll need to add it a bit stronger for the steep. If it has remained the same or is stronger, then you know it's a REALLY strong flavor and may need to either dilute it or start very lightly.

Do this every 5 minutes for 20 minutes or so. You'll know exactly what to do with your flavor.

It's also really nice when you have say, 2-3 tobaccos or the same fruit (strawberry, mango etc) that you aren't sure which to go in the mix. You can sniff all your cards for the recipe together and then switch out that one you aren't sure of till you find the one you want.

Just my .02. Thanks for Reading.

BOOgenshizzle

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
That is all well and good and smelling can help a lot but some juices
taste very, very different than they smell. Rather than take 20 minutes
and perfume sticks trying to figure out how it might taste, I'll take five minutes
and drop it in a dripper and KNOW how it taste. I just don't get all these
different tasting strategies. Whip cream, water, smell sticks. Just drop it in a
little dripper and you will know how it taste. It takes five minutes tops to do this.

That is all well and good and smelling can help a lot but some juices
taste very, very different than they smell. Rather than take 20 minutes
and perfume sticks trying to figure out how it might taste, I'll take five minutes
and drop it in a dripper and KNOW how it taste. I just don't get all these
different tasting strategies. Whip cream, water, smell sticks. Just drop it in a
little dripper and you will know how it taste. It takes five minutes tops to do this.
The sticks are a great trick for blending and finding strengths of flavors.
I couldn't imagine testing 1% FA Blackberry or 1% Red bean just because I felt like tasting them first. I still wouldn't know what they taste like.... and I'd probably ruin my rda.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I do use smell a lot --- flavorings when doing my mixing. But my mixes are just for me and my enjoyment. I suppose if I wanted to mix on a commercial level your way does have merit. Problem is that most freshly made flavorings as well as mixes just smell like chemicals. Most do not allow their flavorings to age appropriately before mixing. So I am not sure your way is the best way for small mixers like us.

2 pennies.

I do use smell a lot --- flavorings when doing my mixing. But my mixes are just for me and my enjoyment. I suppose if I wanted to mix on a commercial level your way does have merit. Problem is that most freshly made flavorings as well as mixes just smell like chemicals. Most do not allow their flavorings to age appropriately before mixing. So I am not sure your way is the best way for small mixers like us.

2 pennies.
I'm
That sniffer of yours is a hot commodity in certain industries. If you’re not already highly paid you could be. The spirits and perfume industries both seek out people with that quality.
I'm not. I just help people quit the ciggies....

I'm a private mixer too. This works for all flavors. As far as the "fresh" chemical smell... that's the beauty. It will air off, dry and you will smell it like it's supposed to be.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm

I'm not. I just help people quit the ciggies....

I'm a private mixer too. This works for all flavors. As far as the "fresh" chemical smell... that's the beauty. It will air off, dry and you will smell it like it's supposed to be.
Well if a mid six figure salary appeals to you, you might want to check it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread