Smoant Cylon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Just a quick note on TC. Just tested with 316SS setting and the device is running about 40°F hot. Not end of the world stuff to me as I adjust for what I like anyway but for those who only want to vape up to a specific temp because of temp/wire concerns it may be useful to note.

Thanks for your observation. That seems to confirm my earlier comment that the standard ss setting uses the tcr for 304ss (which is 102-105). That will cause a very hot vape at your expected setting when using 316ss. Not a problem as long as you adjust things to your preference. You can use tcr for 316ss at 88-94 for the best results.

SteamHead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
Tampa, FL, USA
Thanks for clearing up the TC mystery. I've never used TC before, but recently bought some quad core 30g clapton with 40g wrap in 316SS from AVS (best vape I've ever had, btw). So I've been experimenting with TC.

Not really knowing what I'm doing, I just set the temp anywhere between 280-320 F, depending on what I wanted, and got a great vape with no dry hits ever. I knew the temp was lower than what it was supposed to be, but it seemed to work fine other than that.

For you 316SS peeps, what TCR number (88-94?) did you end up landing on?

Last edited:

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I ordered the tarnish, but if they release a red/gold I would be seriously tempted.
I'm not personally interested in the red/gold, but can understand the attraction. :)

I'm holding out for the black/silver, will be my 3rd Cylon, but that picture of it looks sharp.

I hope Smoant follows through with these other colors. In the past, they sometimes change their minds on this. For example, the Gaia was initially released in Silver, I think the Gold got cancelled. Probably not popular enough.

Hopefully the popularity of the Cylon is large enough they do the other colors.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Thanks for clearing up the TC mystery. I've never used TC before, but recently bought some quad core 30g clapton with 40g wrap in 316SS from AVS (best vape I've ever had, btw). So I've been experimenting with TC.

Not really knowing what I'm doing, I just set the temp anywhere between 280-320, depending on what I wanted, and got a great vape with no dry hits ever. I knew the temp was lower than what it was supposed to be, but it seemed to work fine other than that.

For you 316SS peeps, what TCR number (88-94?) did you end up landing on?

When you are using a single coil rta 88-92 would be the expected range to try. Dual coil more likely 92-94. In the end this final number will depend on the wire you are using and your personal taste. I am guessing that the temperature number you are stating are C not F?

SteamHead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
Tampa, FL, USA
When you are using a single coil rta 88-92 would be the expected range to try. Dual coil more likely 92-94. In the end this final number will depend on the wire you are using and your personal taste. I am guessing that the temperature number you are stating are C not F?
Nope, Fahrenheit.
After changing the TCR to 88, I'm now at 360-390f, with the same 85w preheat. Does that sound right? I do probably like a bit cooler vape than most, but vapor production is great at these "temps".

Coils are 5.2mm ID, 7 spaced wraps of 30g x4 with 40g wrap, 316SS, ohming at .21 for the pair.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Nope, Fahrenheit.
After changing the TCR to 88, I'm now at 360-390f, with the same 85w preheat. Does that sound right? I do probably like a bit cooler vape than most, but vapor production is great at these "temps".

Coils are 5.2mm ID, 7 spaced wraps of 30g x4 with 40g wrap, 316SS, ohming at .21 for the pair.

Yes, that is starting to sound normal. Your temperature rage is within normal for your setup although some would say a bit low. It is down to personal taste at that point. The inside diameter of 5.2mm is a very large coil. That is affecting your settings. I understand you are using clapton coil but you might try 3.5-4mm coil at some point to see if things improve. At your setting you must be using a great deal of cotton and that can affect many things. Your preheat setting sounds reasonable considering the coil size and material. I use much smaller coils so I generally do not even use preheat. Your coil is huge and would be helped by that preheat.

SteamHead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
Tampa, FL, USA
There's really nothing to improve as far as vape quality is concerned, at least for me. With this setup in the Aromamizer Plus I am getting the best vape of my 8+ year-long "vape career", lol. I actually misspoke, the coils are 5.7mm ID (!), the 5.2mm ID coils are in my Reload atty.

3.5-4mm coils are all I used to run in my Boreas, but I see no reason to go back.

The only thing I was really trying to fix is to line up the set temp with the actual temp. I'm still curious as to what settings other 316SS users are at.

ETA: After adjusting the TC to 85 (recommend by DJLsb) and locking the resistance, I'm now around 420-450. All is good.

Last edited:

anthropolyte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2016
Bristol, UK
I've done something a bit silly... tried to update the background pictures on my Cylon, and it froze during update. Seems I have now damaged the firmware, as certain elements of the UI appear corrupt. It still works, but doesn't look particularly pretty!
I notice that when you plug the Cylon in using the update tool, it generates a config in the directory of the tool. I have three in mine currently, and they're all 1kb and can't be read, so I'm guessing it's borked.
So I have a request - can someone with a Cylon go into the update tool directory and see what size their config files are? They appear to be named "data001.bin" etc. If they're bigger than 1kb, can you upload a copy to Google Drive or something so I can grab it?

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
I've done something a bit silly... tried to update the background pictures on my Cylon, and it froze during update. Seems I have now damaged the firmware, as certain elements of the UI appear corrupt. It still works, but doesn't look particularly pretty!
I notice that when you plug the Cylon in using the update tool, it generates a config in the directory of the tool. I have three in mine currently, and they're all 1kb and can't be read, so I'm guessing it's borked.
So I have a request - can someone with a Cylon go into the update tool directory and see what size their config files are? They appear to be named "data001.bin" etc. If they're bigger than 1kb, can you upload a copy to Google Drive or something so I can grab it?

It has to be bigger than 1kb. I think you should email Smoant support and ask them to email you the file.

anthropolyte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2016
Bristol, UK
It has to be bigger than 1kb. I think you should email Smoant support and ask them to email you the file.

I figured that would probably be the case. I have emailed them already, just hoping I can sort this a bit quicker :) Thanks for the reply.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
I figured that would probably be the case. I have emailed them already, just hoping I can sort this a bit quicker :) Thanks for the reply.
The mod is upgradable so it should be possible to flash it with the original firmware. The flash tool is the upgrade tool so you should be all set when you get the proper bin file. I'm sure they will send that to you.

anthropolyte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2016
Bristol, UK
The mod is upgradable so it should be possible to flash it with the original firmware. The flash tool is the upgrade tool so you should be all set when you get the proper bin file. I'm sure they will send that to you.
Here's hoping! It's not the end of the world, just a bit irritating. Weirdly, the "rev counter" style display works fine, with no issues. Menus are all messed up though :(

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2011
bakersfield,ca
Got my cylon today, what a wonderful mods loving this.
it's silly but one of the things I really like about this is the digital clock not having to Fumble with my phone to read the time is great.
On my wismec gen 3 my typical wattage is 45 Watts on the Cylon it's 28 Watts, same tank Wick and wire.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
I ordered a Cylon about two weeks ago from Gear Beast and it arrived on my front porch yesterday. I had the initial shipping notice about a week ago and nothing after that. Was a total surprise to see it when I opened the door. Unexpected vape mail; life is good.

I really like this device so far. Perfect size and feels good in the hands. It's about the same size as the Sirius, a little larger than the VT75D, and a little narrower than the Therion. Plus, I am really liking the performance of this thing and think the clock feature is kind of classy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread