SMOK Alien 220 VB* Firmware Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnkat

Apr 26, 2017
Hi and thanks for the clear instructions...

I had the issue where my mod would turn its self off after about a minute and flash the firmware version every 5 seconds or so. I had to 5 click to turn the mod back on whenever I wanted to vape again and wait out the boot sequence.

After doing the update this way the problem remained but...

If you deselect "Security Lock" from the chip options screen - Problem solved :)

I do agree that smoks' instructions are not clear and this addresses that issue.

Many thanks again.

johnkat

Apr 26, 2017
hey there, need help. So after a ton of updates and rerolls I get no Nu-Link connected to an usb port. whenever I can put either vb1.0.2 or 0.3 it just keeps on flashing.

I like the mod, but im pretty tired of all this, any ideas?

in order to connect you need your batteries removed and the fire button pressed constantly from before you connect the usb till after you finish flashing and disconnected from the software.

Hopefully this solves your issue :)

tommy7473

May 10, 2017
"Tintreach"............... You are a lifesaver. Thank you for taking the time to post and research the correct process for the alien update. I thought I was f'd. I found your post by chance, by googling my issue after the update. Thanks again. Whoever posted the process on the Smok website, definitely needs to be fired!!

Reactions: Goldfinger41

tommy7473

May 10, 2017
By the way, does anyone know if the "PCB" temp on the screen can be changed to Fahrenheit instead of Celsius???? I find that annoying. lol. Next, I'm guessing there is no clock setting to use as a screensaver of sort like some mods have??? Finally, I am using a Tobecco Super Tank Mini. Anyone know if I can use other coils for it besides the Tobecco brand????

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
By the way, does anyone know if the "PCB" temp on the screen can be changed to Fahrenheit instead of Celsius???? I find that annoying. lol. Next, I'm guessing there is no clock setting to use as a screensaver of sort like some mods have??? Finally, I am using a Tobecco Super Tank Mini. Anyone know if I can use other coils for it besides the Tobecco brand????

To my knowledge C to F can't be changed. There is no screensaver and no idea if there's a clock in there. I doubt it as I would have seen it posted somewhere by now.

The Super tank mini (and regular Super tank) take any Atlantis style coil. You can use coils from Atlantis, Triton (full size, not mini), and Eleaf EC coils. I've used a Vaporesso EUC ceramic coil in it that came with a BVC sleeve which works really well.

tommy7473

May 10, 2017
To my knowledge C to F can't be changed. There is no screensaver and no idea if there's a clock in there. I doubt it as I would have seen it posted somewhere by now.

The Super tank mini (and regular Super tank) take any Atlantis style coil. You can use coils from Atlantis, Triton (full size, not mini), and Eleaf EC coils. I've used a Vaporesso EUC ceramic coil in it that came with a BVC sleeve which works really well.

Thanks for the welcome, and many thanks for the info in your reply.

Reactions: Eskie

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
I know that neither of the versions are interchangeable between devices. Also I do not think the device would even register the wrong FW(just guessing on that) so,flash both would be my suggestion version A and B.

The correct version should flash and register on your device.

Again I am just guessing that this would work but since your device is more or less a brick now,what would it hurt???

Tintreach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Its actually still vaping fine... And im getting pretty good at navigating the settings without seeing the display. Thinking of purchasing the eleaf Ipower

Give it a reflash and see what happens. It may have a dead screen or a bad connection though if it is still working.

johnkat

Apr 26, 2017
1st thing to try is 3 rapid clicks on the fire bar to be sure you are not in stealth mode.

If that doesn't fix it then:

Not knowing if it would kill my mod completely I would not go ahead and just flash any version to see if it would work.

However....
If you start the NuvoISP flashing program, connect to your device as per recommendations (Remove batteries, hold down fire button during whole procedure, click status/connect ) then the "part No" box should become populated.
From my research the following should apply:

Smok Alien with v1.2.2 Chip = NUC220LE3AN NuMicro ISP
Smok Alien with vb1.0.2 Chip = Nano120LE3BN NuMicro ISP

It does sound like you may have a dead screen and I can not help with this but I suspect a repair shop with another faulty mod may be able to swap screens out, I would agree, though, with a re-flash first because it may just sort it out...

Good luck :)

Last edited:

Tintreach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I just got the smok alien 220, charging batteries know,.....

Is it a must do situation, to download the new firmware....????

If not, what will be the results of not downloading it....????

what changes with the new firmware...???

What happens if you don't download it....????

thinks for your time in answering my questions....

If it works fine for you leave it alone, I think the update tweaked the TCR and updated TC modes some. It would have been awesome if they had release notes but that is beyond them since they can't even write the documentation properly.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The Alien 220w I received yesterday is obviously a version A. It came with V1.2.1 firmware, displayed on startup from power off. I understand that V1.2.2 is the latest version A firmware.

I'll remember that this thread exists for the day when I decide to update. I've done firmware updates on Pico. It shouldn't be that hard, but reading ChinEnglish instructions can leave you with your head in a fog!

As I surf tonight I'm updating software on my wife's Garmin GPS. Those guys make it easy, but it takes about 3 hours or more to update the maps on my 16mbs cable connection. The actual OS and application software loads and updates in a minute or two. It's all those huge map downloads that take the time. You can watch a movie or two while the process continues.

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The Alien 220w I received yesterday is obviously a version A. It came with V1.2.1 firmware, displayed on startup from power off. I understand that V1.2.2 is the latest version A firmware.

I'll remember that this thread exists for the day when I decide to update. I've done firmware updates on Pico. It shouldn't be that hard, but reading ChinEnglish instructions can leave you with your head in a fog!

As I surf tonight I'm updating software on my wife's Garmin GPS. Those guys make it easy, but it takes about 3 hours or more to update the maps on my 16mbs cable connection. The actual OS and application software loads and updates in a minute or two. It's all those huge map downloads that take the time. You can watch a movie or two while the process continues.
1.2.11 is the latest (and looks to be the final) firmware. I wouldn't recommend upgrading though. My Alien worked better with the 1.2.1 firmware, whereas 1.2.2 and 1.2.11 are both worse. A shame that I can't find the original firmware anywhere :-/

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: DaveP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread