smok alien is pos

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
That doesn't look like my Alien which has served me well.

upload_2017-12-24_10-23-32.jpeg

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
With the Aliens, it seems to be either awful or wonderful. I have been paying attention to these threads for a while now, and I have to say that some of the "awful" is user error, but not all of it.

With that said, the Alien wouldn't be my first choice of mods for a lot of reasons. I need durable stuff because I'm hard on mods, and that is something I pay attention to. I have no doubt that in the RIGHT hands if it doesn't have Qc issues, it could last for a long time, like many smok products. But I think that requires tender care and loving attention, and while I DO my best, I am not the person who is NOT going to drop a mod over the course of a year, or two years.

With that said, I think smok products have a lot to offer for the right person, and I think some of their mods are just fantastic, and probably more durable than the Alien even.

Best of luck with your problems, but I do think how the mod is treated plays a HUGE part in longevity... I'm not trying to call anyone out here, I'm just pointing out the advantages and limitations of smok mods (for me).

I also try not to call mods "POS" anymore, or even makers. Kangertech is never going to be my go to (for example) I find them too fragile.... But I have always been the type of person who loves things... to death, LOL, you should see what a book looks like after I read it. That doesn't mean they aren't great for other folks and my ragging on them doesn't really do much for anyone. KT is also great for versatility and often for a new user, I know my KT stuff never lasted very long and I am ENTIRELY sure it was me. :)

Anna

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
With apologies to those I am quoting! This just happened to be the perfect example of what frustrates me:

my 2 month old v1 smok alien 220 mod is just a piece of crap, cant read ohms correctly if at all.

This post provides absolutely nothing of detail to conclude it is, in fact, a manufacturing flaw! What does "can't read ohms correctly" really mean? What atty, build, ohms, TC.....?

The alien is notorious for manufacturing and reliability issues.

But it produces these responses and between the two, immediately finds its place in the list of all the posts supporting "all Smok products suck" proclamations. I am not about to proclaim Smok manufacturing king. There are some/many legitimate defects. The question is, are there some or many problems due to other outside contributing factors?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
With apologies to those I am quoting! This just happened to be the perfect example of what frustrates me:

This post provides absolutely nothing of detail to conclude it is, in fact, a manufacturing flaw! What does "can't read ohms correctly" really mean? What atty, build, ohms, TC.....?

But it produces these responses and between the two, immediately finds its place in the list of all the posts supporting "all Smok products suck" proclamations. I am not about to proclaim Smok manufacturing king. There are some/many legitimate defects. The question is, are there some or many problems due to other outside contributing factors?
That’s fair.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
The Alien was one of the best selling mods this year. And that for a reason. It is a good mod for the price after all.
But the more devices are sold, the more defective ones are out there, and the more people complain about it. It's just the nature of the beast.

But even the Aegis' 510 might malfunction at some point. As with all moving parts, they're prone to breaking if not cared for properly.

Necrospecter

Dulce de Leche to rule them all
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2017
Fort Worth Texas
www.forsakengamingnation.com
But even the Aegis' 510 might malfunction at some point. As with all moving parts, they're prone to breaking if not cared for properly.
I think that is something that manufacturers need to do is include a section on how to clean and care for the mod. Honestly, it wasn't until about a month ago I found out it is a good idea to clean the 510 pin with alcohol ever so often, it just did not occur to me to do anything other than wipe it down from time to time with a lint-free cloth.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Smok is a Chinese manufacturer. Any device made there has a chance of failing within 90 days of being put into service. It just is what it is and it's not gonna change.

Treating our devices as semi-consumable is smart. They sometimes last for years but most don't. If you get a solid year out of a $40-$50 mod, you're doing pretty well.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Smok is a Chinese manufacturer. Any device made there has a chance of failing within 90 days of being put into service. It just is what it is and it's not gonna change.

Treating our devices as semi-consumable is smart. They sometimes last for years but most don't. If you get a solid year out of a $40-$50 mod, you're doing pretty well.
It has nothing to do with being manufactured in China. Even electronics manufactured in the western hemissphere, like washing machines or TVs for example, are designed with a predetermined breakingpoint, so that they malfunction after the warranty expires.

• Agree

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The only MOD I had that failed was because of a broken battery door and that failed because of my dropping it on the concrete. Not the fault of the manufacturer it was ABUSE!
In contrast every single painted piece of equipment I’ve ever bought with the exception of one wismec pressa has peeled in a few months. Handheld things are going to be dropped. It’s the nature of hands. That said all of my mods have been dropped and all of them are doing ok. I think it’s an issue of sample size. With variable build quality it’s nearly impossible to get a fair view out of single person data sets.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It has nothing to do with being manufactured in China. Even electronics manufactured in the western hemissphere, like washing machines or TVs for example, are designed with a predetermined breakingpoint, so that they malfunction after the warranty expires.
Yep. It’s called expected service life. I think the issue is people are seeing as little as 6mo service lives out of these things and it annoys them. 2 months is definitely unacceptable though. The thing is that with the constantly advancing technology, a multi year service life doesn’t make sense in a market as fast moving as e-cigarettes.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
The only painted MOD I have that chipped was my RX200S and that was due to dropping it so many times the paint on the battery cover was annoying me. I removed the rest and painted it which did not last so I removed the paint I used and polished it with jewelers rouge and a buffing wheel. Not the fault of manufacturer totally my own.

Necrospecter

Dulce de Leche to rule them all
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2017
Fort Worth Texas
www.forsakengamingnation.com
Yep. It’s called expected service life. I think the issue is people are seeing as little as 6mo service lives out of these things and it annoys them. 2 months is definitely unacceptable though. The thing is that with the constantly advancing technology, a multi year service life doesn’t make sense in a market as fast moving as e-cigarettes.

See now that is annoying in its self I spend money on something I want it to last I mean with the cost of some of these devices I think anything under a year is unacceptable. Maybe Zippo needs to start making mods.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have ELDERLY appliances. I don't replace them because they work PERFECTLY and I don't want to deal with hassles. The only thing new is washer and dryer, and IIRC, this manufactured home was placed in the late 80s. I don't need "new" appliances when these are built to last, and they work.

With that said, nowadays, things are expected to have a shelf life (unless totally out of my reach, and even then, my mom has $$$$ and is always having to repair and replace her "new" stuff.

I also have some provaris.... :)

Anna

Reactions: Eskie

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

Any device, manufactured anywhere, has a chance of failing within 90 days of being put into service. Chinese devices aren't some special case here. Some Chinese manufacturers put a lot of effort into producing quality devices, others don't.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread