The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

smok alien is just garbage

Discussion in 'APV and Mods Discussion' started by vincom, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. vincom

vincom Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 19, 2014
    bolton, ontario,canada
    my 2 month old v1 smok alien 220 mod is just a piece of crap, cant read ohms correctly if at all. took it apart, cleaned and made sure pin is centered on spring, nada.
    back too my evic mini w/no paint left on it and w/its hair trigger firing button

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tonee N

Tonee N Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    Sounds like you got a lemon, I've heard they are some.
    I've had my Alien for 11 month, 23,000 puffs, no problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    That's too bad... Does smok offer a 90 day warranty, even if your seller does not? It's possible you could warranty it....

It seems SAlien users are going to get one of two experiences 1) It's fantastic (we often don't hear a peep from those folks) or 2) a case of mild or extreme hate (we tend to hear about those). I don't quite get how such varying QC can happen, but I guess it does, or some not so great ones slip through the cracks. I'm not a sub0hm user but I think the SAlien tends to get the most complaints, there seems to be something up with that particular model although I also hear good things about it (and other smok products). I'm sort of glad I'm not a sub0hmer because I think if you get a good mod, smok does a great job catering to the crowd that like its strengths: powerful mods at a decent price point that look nice.

Good luck warrantying or replacing.

Anna

4. Kiyle the Manlet

Kiyle the Manlet Senior Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Hey, sorry for the late reply.

I never hated the alien. I was just very disappointed in it's quality. I had about four of them, partly because I ended up breaking one and having one exchanged because of the same issue.

It's smoktech. They will always have decent mods that could have been great.

My main complaint was the paintjob, but it had a tendency to do some weird ..... One of mine was so ....ed up, the screen would literally look like an old TV that was on the wrong channel(static). I repaired a lot of mods when I worked at a shop here, and aliens had problems with two things. The 510 pin and the board itself. (usually firmware or ....ty components. the latter was always too much of an investment of my time to fix.)

I had one that did the same thing, and it was the 510 pin. I just replaced it through my company's warranty rather than fixing it because why would I not?

my girlfriends alien still works however, and it's ancient at this point. Smoktech had bad quality control.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mj79

mj79 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    mn
    Bummer :(

Definitely take advantage of the warranty

Mines at 14 months and 46k puffs and still going .

But it is the version 2

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tonee N

Tonee N Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    They improved their paint on the Procolor, I learned to put a skin on both my Aliens as soon as I received them.[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kiyle the Manlet

Kiyle the Manlet Senior Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Yeah I have a procolor as well. I haven't touched it because my brother bought it for himself and my mom traded him mods because he liked the revenger better. It's been jostling around my box for a while now, and I haven't noticed any chipping or fading, like the alien would in a stiff breeze.

• Like Like x 2
  8. davidmcgraw

davidmcgraw Full Member

Feb 14, 2018
    thats a cool vape

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pfaber11

pfaber11 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 16, 2009
    england
    I'm on my third alien first two died pretty quickly. The one I'm using now has been going 8 months and over 42000 puffs. The first one only lasted a week and the second one 3 months. The first two were replaced under warranty. I think the alien is a nice vape when it's working but don't think i will be getting another one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Wow, two warranties in quick succession... In your shoes, I might not either. :) Sounds like the right time for Smok products to die though... Just about right before deeming kicked in. I still maintain they were in a huge rush to get new products to market. Although, they still seem to come out with a new mod, like every other day. I'm not complaining, but they sure seemed to somehow capture Manufacturing Volume.

My theory is they get the "new sub0hmers".... possibly.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ecooke38

Ecooke38 Full Member Verified Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Pawtucket
    My alien al85 was flawless for me. Only moved on because I wanted a two battery mod

• Like Like x 1
  12. numsquat

numsquat Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 18, 2015
    Something in my first one fried in my hand, panel went out smoking. Did get it replaced under warranty and gave it to one of my sons. Replacement is going strong with him, no issues at all. Personally have not bought another Smoke product since the original Alien but my Battlestar and Tesla 120 have had no problems so no need to buy another mod at this time.

I do feel Smok has QA issues. I liked the Alien when it worked though. And my oldest uses the Al85 and has had no issues. But if i have an issue with a mod I tend to avoid that companies future mods. Human nature maybe. There are other companies I have also avoided due to repeated QA issues.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    My Alien 220W is still going strong. My gripe it was the lack of a lower wattage range in TC mode. I like TC at 10W. The Alien didn't go that low in TC mode, although it's range in wattage mode was 6W to 220W. As I remember it bottom stopped in TC mode around 15W.

• Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.