The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

SMOK BEC PRO Bluetooth Mod 50 Watt

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by wolfstone5, Sep 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. superjoefly

superjoefly Full Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I'm surprised more people don't have (comment) on this device. I've had mine for a couple weeks and it's great! Vape on!

2. SensesFailed

SensesFailed Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 14, 2014
    Berwick, PA, USA
    I've run my Kayfun on it at 1.2 ohms and I've used my Patriot on it at .6 and haven't had any issues with the device. So, I don't know lol

3. gwelker

gwelker Full Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Los Angeles
    So I've got a few PV mods, mechanicals, and such. I picked up the BEC Pro before seeing Phil's review, and since I wasn't happy with the Sigelei 30W (shown here next to the BEC Pro) as far as the build quality, construction (press fit top cap that pushes out if you screw down a battery adjustment to far? and finicky bottom battery cap shinanegans to get everything adjusted when changing from button top to flat top batteries, etc. etc.)

I haven't run into any heating issues, although I didn't buy it for the 50W (not a sub-ohmer by any means). Using my Kayfun clonalikes with "reasonable" builds for me 1.8 - 2.4 microcoil builds around a drillbit 1/32"-ish. I run 50/50 eLiquid I mix myself, so this works just fine for my taste/vape-warmth/non-cloud-generating needs.

Phil's reviews are always a baseline for me, and the heating issue, if I were doing sub-ohm would make me say "Um not with the BEC Pro" in my mind. But that's me. I have the VTR, just got the Pioneer4You black V2 S box mod, (looking for a more stealth vape without giving up PV). I keep coming back to the BEC Pro as my home vape, the build-quality and feel of it, is much better than the tin-can (destroyed if dropped feel) of the Sigelei 30W.

I've messed around with the custom Bluetooth profiles for vape power (wish it had finer grain time control then 1 sec though), and it's intriguing, I've done fast start at 10-12W then slow ramp down, and seem to get a better vape from just flat constant wattage setting. But that's more a curiosity than anything else.

All in all, the BEC Pro I've had for about 6 weeks has performed just fine, haven't noticed any heating issues, or mod failing issues (obviously), it's a bit taller than I'd like, but hits a nice feel in the hand/heft that's between my Seven 22 (MONSTER ;-) and the Sigelei 30W (tin can but works just fine). Of course, to give you an idea, I still enjoy the heft of my VTR as well (although since smooth regulation is much better flavor, I don't drop it in my jeans pocket to take on the go as often now...)

Actually dropped the BEC Pro on it's ... a week after I had it (first time I've dropped a mod, I was sure it was going to be DOA after that), no issues, just a nick on it's battery cap (crunchy threads on that, which spoils things a bit) and all is well.

The SX and Yihi chipsets (stealing from the dna30 style) everything on the display at once has me spoiled so my one niggle is the BEC Pro's "you gotta tell me the one thing I can display at a time each time you want to change it" irritation. Just so they could add the always there BLUETOOTH ON/OFF indicator I'm assuming (it's right where the battery display normally is).

I like that Phil focuses on safety, and at the very least, as with any critics/reviews, you can use it as a baseline, and make your own decision.

I'm enjoying the BEC Pro, no worries on my part of runaway battery/melt-down/china-syndrome-panic here, but I always lock all my mods before throwing them anywhere (pocket, messenger bag, whatever). Safety first (don't want a cloud and then flaming ejecta coming from any of my gear unplanned...)

Stay calm and vape on...
    Sigelei30W_BECPro_01nov2014.jpg

4. coredog

coredog Full Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Tampa
    I have the sigelei 30 watt and I also hate it with a passion thats why I'm looking into this device. By the way everyone here is talking about it, it seems great. Iv always used tube mods, not a fan of the big bulky box mod which is what drew me to this device. I'm thinking of getting into rebuildables and since this can go to 50 watts that's perfect. And I can still use it around 20 watts for my sub ohm Kanger coils. Seems like a win. A hybrid rebuildable/tank mod if you will.

5. Heespharm

Heespharm Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 7, 2014
    Htown,tx
    Yeah I loved mine... Gave it to a buddy and he loved it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. superjoefly

superjoefly Full Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Houston, TX
    IMG_20141110_230235423.jpg Just put another build on mine...same rda (magma), dual-micro coil with 26g kanthal, 10/9 wrap reading @ .7 ohms. It's hitting like a champ. I haven't had any problems with heat or anything. Vaping at 35 watts. So far so good!

I wonder when the 100 watt update will be released...not really necessary...just wondering if anyone has heard anything about it.

7. Hashassin

Hashassin Full Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Mendonisia CA
    Has anyone put a volt meter on this thing? does it really push 12 volts?
    Most of the high end, high watt, high cost apv right now are limited to 6 or 7 volts, even when they spout 100-150w output.

there are in my mind, two main advantages to regulated mods. one is safety (and the bec pro fails a little here thanks to heat issues compounded with the lack of heat auto-shutoff despite having a heat sensor inside.....FAIL) and the other is pushing high wattage through a high resistance coil build.
    the bec at its limits should allow 50w using 12 volts in a 2.88 ohm coil and it's only pulling 4.16 amps, well within most batteries safety limits.
    to get 50w on a mechanical mod you would have to build to around .35ohms. waaay into sub-ohm range and that is on a fully charged battery at 4.2v. it would drop in performance pretty quickly. a 2+ ohm coil provides a lot more surface area than a .35 coil does! more surface area with the same power equals more vapor in comparison.

if the bec pro truly pushes 12 volts out of a high amp 18650 all the way up to 50 watts on a coil at almost 3 ohms it is technically enabling superior vape performance than a lot of the 2x18650 or 2x26650 mods with triple the max wattage. i am aware that battery sag may be a problem with only one battery vs two at this voltage.
    a 150w box limited by a 7v max requires you to build a sub ohm coil of .32ohms or less to reach 150w at a rather high 21.42 amp drain on the battery. to reach the 50w matching the bec pro you have to build a .9, just barely subohm and at a little over 7amp drain on the battery. that's about a third of the resistance limit the bec pro can sport, and as stated, i think one of the main points of a regulated high wattage device is to be able to use large high resistance coils.

before i buy one of these things, especially knowing about the issues it has i really want to verify the custom chip smok is using genuinely pushes 12 volts. i have found the specs listed on some mods to be exaggerated when i look up the specs for the chipset they use in said mods. since the bec pro supposedly uses an in house chip i have only smok's word for it so far, and none of the threads i have read talk about this at all.

8. caged

caged Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    I would absolutely not push this thing to it's limits. It can supply lots of power, but it will burn itself out. Really poor quality device.

9. Hashassin

Hashassin Full Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Mendonisia CA
    i'm not in the habit of pushing any devices to their limits during actual day to day use. as mentioned in my previous post just about any 2+ ohm coil i build should in theory perform really well on this thing. i have my skepticism about it's actual performance in this area though. 12v from a 3.7v battery with consistent performance sounds unlikely, but impressive if true.

as pointed out by several people, the device itself has a heat sensor, so the heat issue is probably just a firmware fix away and is not a deal breaker for me at this point. i'm in the habit of removing my batteries when not in use or during travel and i think i'd notice during actual use if it was getting too hot.

10. superjoefly

superjoefly Full Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I'm not sure about the 12 volts, but I have a .5 ohm coil on mine right now and haven't had any problems with heat (thank goodness). I only do 2-3 second pulls on it though and I don't really chain vape either. Mine has been holding up pretty good and I'm happy with the purchase. I usually vape at about 35 watts, depending on the coil of course.

11. Jetdrive

Jetdrive Full Member

I went back and checked Phil's review and the charts. Yes, it does hit 12 volts. He got it to 12.1 volts during the testing. Calculated was 12.4 volts so it's pretty accurate too.

12. NoBicNeeded

NoBicNeeded Full Member

May 29, 2014
    montana
    I love mine as well. I have a dual micro 1ohm build on it now with 28ga kanthal, Japanese cotton wicks, orchid v4, 4.5 volts at 30watts. Had a dual micro 17/18wrap 26ga hotwires build that made some clouds!! Hits nice. My dark horse at .4 ohm hit like Mike Tyson. Love this mod. Don't use Bluetooth as it does t work and the single button navigation doesn't bug me. Once I set it for the current build I don't need to change it. I also put the hollowed out 510 cover on and it dissipates the heat better. As far as the display??? Again once it's set I don't look at it until I get my low battery warning.

13. Cotay

Cotay Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I think to be fair to Smok and the BEC Pro, it should be noted that the chances of the BEC Pro burning itself out has been fixed in a firmware update: Taste Your Juice | FROM SMOKTECH REGARDING THE BEC-PRO VIDEO

I don't personally have the device and don't plan on getting it since I've learned I'm partial to box mods, but the BEC Pro should be perfectly safe now (baring the occasional bum unit that plagues all manufacturers).

14. caged

caged Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    And that's the problem. If you get a bad unit, you're stuck with it. Smok offers no support for their products.

15. Never Lift

Never Lift Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 13, 2014
    westchester NY
    I've had one since they came out and love how powerful it is. I just noticed they updated the app and now there is a temperature control under adjustments. Its grayed out and I cant use it. I wonder if I get some nickel wire if it will sense it and alow me to use it? Anybody know if we got a temperature control update?

16. inswva

inswva Do you even squonk, bro? Verified Member ECF Veteran

17. Cotay

Cotay Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

With all that is being released of late, I'm tempted by nearly everything I see!

18. Slurp812

Slurp812 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 18, 2011
    Northwest Ohio
    50 watts, is 50 watts. Period. Regardless of coil ohms at 50 watts, you will be drawing huge amounts of current from the battery. If in fact it can do exactly 50 watts @ .5 ohms, and 2.5 ohms the battery current would be the SAME in both cases. Coil current/voltage would be totally different. But as ohms law states volts times amps = watts. So for simplicity's sake, 50 volts @ 1 amp = 50 watts, AND 1 volt @ 50 amps = 50 watts. If you have a circuit that could do that with a single battery at 3.7 volts, BATTERY current would be exactly the same minus circuit losses in both cases, and anywhere in between. So really you gotta ask yourself how much current does it take a 18650 sony vtc5 to make 50 watts? That would be the issue. And that would be pushing the VTC5 hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.