SMOK G150 help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Graham

Oct 30, 2017
After only three charges, my G150 will not charge. apparently the internal port has a problem. I have contacted the store where I bought it (Vapebox in Sacramento, CA) and the manufacturer. Both parties point responsibility at each other, leaving me in limbo with a broken smok G150 and nobody wanting to help me. Is there someone that fixes these things? or is my smok G150 just a piece of junk after three charges? I am so very disappointed with smok and Vapebox. I have been sending them emails and both parties are ignoring me

Neil Graham

Oct 30, 2017
Seems to be somewhat common with manufacturers, and some cape shops.

I'm assuming you've tried a different cable?

How long have you had it?

I had it for a couple of months in an unused state, I bought it in readiness for the moment that I was to quit smoking cigarettes. I finally quit a month ago and started using the vape, with a menthol liquid that said it tasted just like a cigarette did. On the third charge, it wouldn't work....I mean, come on, surely it should work for a darn site more than three charges, right?

Skreech

Oct 16, 2017
Ipswich
Just had a read on this Mod and apparently there is a firmware issue with it. The first thing to do though is reset the firmware. There should be a little hole between the usb connector and the menu buttons. You need to use a needle or something to press in the little button inside the hole for MORE THAN 10 SECONDS to reset the firmware. That appears to have resolved many issues that people have been having.

The next thing I would do is go on Smoks website and see what the latest firmware version is for your device. If your device is not up to date (and I don't know how to tell) then update the firmware in the device. If there is no way of knowing what current version firmware you have then try updating it anyway.

Good luck with it all. I hope it works for you.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It sounds like a difficult problem, and no it shouldn't have gone bad with one charge. Are you still within the warranty period? That is unfortunately going to be the problem. I would definitely try the solution above.

I'd also consider getting an external charger for your next mod (hopefully a replacement mod, but really hope this doesn't turn you off vaping, either, there are plenty of other manufacturers who make great mods, and I probably wouldn't want another smok mod in your shoes if that happened to me) but it's really recommended to not charge via USB as sometimes, that can cause uneven battery charges, etc. It's really not recommended to use routinely, more for in a pinch, though charging that way 3 times should not have killed the mod.

I hope you get this worked out, and if you do have some electrical knowledge and the firmware doesn't fix it, by all means go ahead and look inside to see if anything seems loose-- if that's something you are up for, and if for definite no one is going to take responsibility for this.

The thing is, sometimes chargers and USB ports do go bad, so it might be worth it to remove your batteries and charge them externally (if you can) if the mod remains dead when you try to reset the firmware. You may have a damaged USB port, but a working mod, if you get what I'm saying.

Good luck, sorry to hear this, above all do NOT let it discourage you from vaping. There's tons to learn as a newcomer, I too started with a setup that wasn't right for me (it simply wasn't right for my vaping style) but I did not give up, purchased new (better) equipment, and I am SO GLAD I did, my health has improved, unbelievably much.

Best of luck, welcome to ECF, let us know what happens, and I hope you can resolve this, and if you can't move on to another mod-- vaping is worth it!

Anna

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Charging batteries in the device is something that can be done, but only sparingly. Four different things can go sideways: The charger cable, the power source, the charging circuitry in the device and the port on the device.

You can try changing the power source and the cable. Go to Office Depot and get a good wall adapter, one that's capable of supplying 2.0 Amps. Get a mini USB cable that includes data transmission while you're there.

Try the new power source OR the new cable first. If that doesn't work, try the other thingie. Don't change both at the same time because if you get happy you want to know which change worked.

The port and charging circuitry are beyond your control. Getting a good quality external charger lets you charge batteries without depending on the mod's port or circuitry.

I don't know your device well, but if the USB port is needed for the firmware update AND the update won't go or the PC doesn't recognize the device with your new cable, the problem is the port.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I thought it was a dual battery mod? Either way hope you get it resolved. I've had that happen where I bought something and let it sit too long, before realizing I had been thoroughly scammed (it was ebay). I don't shop there for APVs any longer, for the most part, and if I do look, I am very very careful. It is a huge annoyance, though...

Anna

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I think the G150 has an internal 4200mah battery so usb charging is the only way to charge it unless you disassemble it. Trouble is it might have a 3s LiPo in it or something which means you will need a LiPo charger capable of 3s charging with the correct connectors and balancer. Not ideal just to keep the mod working. Who knows.
Just checked... yes it's an internal battery device.

There's still hope. Replacing the charging apparatus might work. The factory reset might work. A firmware update might work.

Neil Graham

Oct 30, 2017
UPDATE:
The warranty was valid. I bothered SMOK by email and finally they asked the store to replace my device. The store refused to accomodate this. I have no idea why....but be wary, do NOT buy anything from VAPEBOX in SACRAMENTO, CA. They have and still are treating me disgustingly. what have i got to do to replace my warranty device when they wont do as SMOK asks them to?????? I have contacted SMOK who are back to ignoring me.....this is a shady business and needs looking in to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread