The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Why is Smok so popular?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Tinkiegrrl, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Tinkiegrrl

Tinkiegrrl Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    I’ve had the worst luck with Smok. An alien mod crapped out on me after only three weeks, coils for the baby tank it came sometimes die in a day, and my ex husband’s vape had to be tossed from the car because it overheated to a critical point. Yes, it was an internal battery mod, which was ill advised anyway but he’s my ex so he never asked me what to buy. I heard about it after it happened.

So, with three bad experiences, I’m curious on how and why Smok is literally everywhere. There are some local vendors by me that pretty much ONLY have Smok to sell. Is my experience just really craptastic luck, or do they have some serious issues going on that are being ignored?

• Like Like x 3
  2. jfcooley

jfcooley I find your lack of faith disturbing... Verified Member ECF Veteran

Anyone got popcorn???

• Funny x 18
    • Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    Touchy subject? Look, I’m not one to say “I’ll never buy xyz again” but I don’t think I’ve ever had such phenomenally bad luck with any other brand before. I’ve got Kanger stuff still going strong after years and years.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    And also, I’m speaking from personal experience, not from as someone who hunted down bad reviews on them.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    Last and not least, I’m a former builder and mech mod user. It isn’t as though I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m lazy though so I switched to regulated mods and sub ohm tanks. Still, I know a thing or two about batteries and the like. I use a top rated external charger and top rated batteries. My Smok mod was not abused, nor were those coils vaped at higher temps then recommended. I kept my power in the middle of what Smok reccommends, and even lower for high VG liquids. My ex is hard on his stuff though, so I’m willing to drop the nearly exploding mod incident from my list. The man managed to kill a Provari once, so it may be presumptuous to blame Smok for that one.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jfcooley

jfcooley I find your lack of faith disturbing... Verified Member ECF Veteran

Ignore me. I'm just here for the entertainment.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    I do expect some debate here. They’re recommended a lot around here. I used to use their carts for cartomizer tanks on Provari’s back in the day. Never had a problem with them. This new stuff of theirs though... I’m disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. ScottP

ScottP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    SMOK is popular for three reasons. First they are mass produced cheap products so more people are willing to try something at a lower price point. Second they do have some good looking products that are visually appealing to many folks. Finally they are GREAT at marketing. Everyone has heard of their brand, and they are in just about every single vape shop and online store.

Unfortunately, due to the fact they are mass produced and cheap they also lack a bit in QC. Historically they have a 20% to 30% failure rate. While NO ONE, not one single company, in the history of manufacturing has ever achieved a 0% failure rate, SMOK is a bit on the higher end of that spectrum. Still, as a buyer you have a greater probability of getting a good one than a bad one from SMOK, and your probability of getting a bad SMOK product is a bit higher than many other brands.

Personally I do not buy SMOK mods, but I have enjoyed many of their tanks. I do mostly rebuild the ones I have used. I actually used the SMOK ARO (EVOD style) tanks exclusively for the first 2 years of my vaping experience. I rebuilt the heads myself though. Then I started using the SMOK TFV-4 tank with the RBA head for the next year or so, then the SMOK TF-RTA tank (with single coil head) for a while. Today I primarily use my Wotofo Serpent SMM, but I have recently started to use the TF-RTA a fairly good bit as well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    I definitely don’t expect a %0 failure rate. I would say that the coil failure rate for my baby tank though is closer to fifty percent then thirty though. It’s like tossing half my money out the window to buy replacement coils for it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ScottP

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Then may I suggest to STOP buying SMOK brand coils for it. There are a LOT of other brand coils that work in the Baby tanks.

Baby Beast and Big Baby compatible coils:

• Eleaf HW coils [30W Pick! - Consistent build quality]
    • Eleaf HW-1 SS316 coil [TC Pick! - Only TC offering]
    • E-XY T1 coils
    • Geekvape iM1+4 coils
    • iJoy XS coils
    • Jomo Tech Smartvape TC80 coils
    • Joyetech ProCore Aries coils [Do NOT fit 22mm tanks]
    • Joyetech ProCore C1-S MTL coil [MTL Pick! - Only MTL offering]
    • Sigelei SLYDR SM coils
    • Vapefly Fantasy Mini M8 coils
    • Vaporesso NRG coils [50W+ Pick! - Fantastic wicking w/o flooding]
    • Vaportech M4/8 coils
    • Vaptio Frogman coils
    • WOTOFO FLOW coils [40W Pick! - No spitback]

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    I’ll look into them. For now, I have stopped buying them, because I stopped using the tank all together.

My mod failure rate if we count my exhusband is 100%. He bought an Alien after the exploding vape incident before he knew I had issues with mine, but texted me a few nights ago on issues with it. Hasn’t completely died on him yet though, so we shall see. Then again, like I said, this man once killed a Provari so...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. ScottP

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Like I said, I rebuild everything I vape so I don't have a lot of experience with drop in coils. IF I were going to go back to using them, I would totally go with one of the SMOK Baby series and one of the above brand coils. My reasoning is simple. Their tanks are just as good anyone else's, but so many manufacturers make compatible coils you can most assuredly find one that works in your tank how you like it, which also gives a better chance of not becoming obsolete due to no longer being able to find compatible coils. Also since SMOK tanks are so prevalent, should you ever need to replace something like the glass, o-rings, etc. parts are more likely to be available for them than other brands, especially as we move forward in time.

On the mods, yeah you may have just had bad luck, but that's why I do not buy SMOK mods. Right now I am loving my HCigar VT 75D which is a DNA 75C based dual 18650 mod. It is really small for a dual battery mod, feels good to hold, is sturdy, and reliable. It's as comfortable to hold as a flight sim joystick. They are not "pretty" (I have the silver one) but I have never used a mod that worked so easy and so well.

[​IMG]

I did customize the menu a good bit, and can make my changes available if anyone wants it.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    I have absolutely no idea, none, zip, zero, zilch, nada.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    I’m using a Wismec RX Gen 3 right now. Works okay. Some misfiring and the temp control is flaky. It’ll likely wind up as my back up because I have a Lost Vape Paranormal on the way. I didn’t want to spend the big bucks right away until I kicked the cigarettes again, which is why I went for Smok at first. I really shouldn’t have, because when the Smok died I had to fall back on an ancient Kanger I had. It did the job with the baby tank on top though.The Kanger tank it came with sucked. I forgot the name for it. Bought the Wismec because the old Kanger only had one battery slot and I was blowing through batteries too fast on it. Got stuck without power too many times, and was still buying an occasional pack of cigs if I forgot spare batteries at home.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    I know I bought a mod from them because they were cheap. Since I’m in NYC, even though it only lasted three weeks, I suppose it at least paid for itself in saved cigarette money. I’ll give Smok that, but that’s only because cigarettes here cost an arm and a leg.

• Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Coyote628

Coyote628 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2017
    Hmmmmm........

• Like Like x 1
  17. bobwho77

bobwho77 Super Member ECF Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Ypsilanti mi
    I've never tried Smok tanks, but I have a well used xcube II, and one still boxed in my backup storage.
    I didn't stop using it because it stopped working.
    I just found something I like a little bit better.

• Like Like x 3
  18. DeloresRose

DeloresRose Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I started with Smok because that’s all I could get at the time. Had a few bits that would last 2-3 months, but most of it was junk. Tanks that fell apart, mods that shorted, one that melted to the charger. Good thing I was right there and heard the zap or it could have been a fire. Junk. I wouldn’t buy it if it was the only vape left in the planet. I found cheap eleaf isticks, kanger and aspire tanks, never looked back. Trying a little of everything that catches my eye now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. ScottP

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    The Lost Vape Paranormal you ordered uses the same board as the VT 75D I have. I almost got the Paranormal myself, but I liked the shape and size of the VT 75D better plus it was a bit less expensive than the Paranormal. That should work just fine for you.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    This is my main problem right now. They’ve taken over. I’m lucky being so near a major city. I have plenty of vendors by me, but I imagine in some areas Smok is all there is in shops. A couple vendors by me are like that. Only Smok really. The one closest to me is almost only carrying Smok, but an employee revolted and told management he won’t sell them so they keep a couple other options around for him to sell.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.