Smok TFV12-T12 Leak (RESOLVED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilling

May 8, 2017
SoCal, California
I feel like I was the one who said that stupid wire sticking out of the rubber :p

Oh lol, well I must've read over that part cause of all the replies I was hit with. Good luck getting your replacements, the vape shops send the defective ones back to their supplier so they're not losing money at all.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi again Chillin
What can I say but welcome to vaping. Actually with a bit of experience most of these problems are fairly easily overcome. First I suggest examining your tank closely and try and figure out how it works. Knowing how it works helps a lot in figuring out what is going wrong. A tank is a sealed unit with holes at the bottom and when filled with juice the juice will naturally stay in place if the holes are small enough and no air leaks into the space above the liquid. Same principle as a pet rodent water bottle uses. The holes though are actually too large to properly hold in the juice, all by itself the juice would leak out while air bubbles found their way into the tank through the same holes at the same time. The juice dosen't leak out because there is cotton wicking in front of the holes to provide just enough resistance to the juice flow to balance it out and keep the juice in the tank. As you vape juice out of the wick it is replaced slowly while air is allowed back into the tank through the wick.

Understanding that balance needs to be maintained to prevent leaks then leads to to ensuring a couple of things. First the tank needs to be sealed at all its joints. That has you examining for o-rings, the condition of o-rings, the mating of the parts of the tank, and keeping the top filler portion closed and sealed. That includes making sure your coils are sealing at both their ends. If the TV12 is like the BB & CB then there should be an o-ring at both ends of the coil though I believe the top one is actually on the bottom of the chimney.

Try testing various pieces for a seal by putting water in your tank and blowing into it to pressurize that space. You can test some of the seals this way. Water won't hurt anything as long as it dosen't get into your mod.

Try replacing the o-rings with your spares. Too long in an atty will have those silicon o-rings taking on the shape they are being compressed to, once moved the shape no longer fills the voids and you get leaks. Don't throw the original o-rings out as they will over time regain their proper shape and can be reused again. Be careful when stretching the o-rings out of and into place over top of what are usually pretty sharp threads so as not to damage them.

The other problem can be with the cotton in the coil. When you build your own it is a fairly common problem but is less so with pre-made coils. That's why folks are suggesting trying a different coil in it.

Also get yourself at least a 5 ml syringe with a fat blunt needle as that will make it much easier to suck juice out of tanks for things like this.

Bradfordo

May 10, 2017
Is this the wire everyone's talking about? The tiny thing by the rubber ring?

Attachments

• 20170510_164052 edit.jpg
    20170510_164052 edit.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 2,199

PvPHoe

May 9, 2017
Is this the wire everyone's talking about? The tiny thing by the rubber ring?

that would be the one buddy. take a flat small screw driver and push that wire in so that the red o ring is hiding it. by doing this to any wires outside of the ring, all leaking from the air vents will stop (atleast it did for me).

try it out, and let us know if it works for you too :)

J F M

May 10, 2017
I am having the same problem with my TVF 12, all the wires are showing. Althought not quite as bad as Bradfordo's example. As well the top filling seal on mine expanded and has been popping out, which cause the interior seal filling lip to tear.

Attachments

• 20170510_161156_resized.jpg
    20170510_161156_resized.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 1,137
  • 20170510_161228_resized.jpg
    20170510_161228_resized.jpg
    745.5 KB · Views: 1,106

Bradfordo

May 10, 2017
that would be the one buddy. take a flat small screw driver and push that wire in so that the red o ring is hiding it. by doing this to any wires outside of the ring, all leaking from the air vents will stop (atleast it did for me).

Just pushed those in, letting the coils soak now. Will update!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The problem with the wire sticking out like that is there's no way to maintain a proper seal on the bottom if the rubber/plastic plug is not flat. Juice will just track right out that path. While it's a crappy problem to have, and pretty poor QC on the part of Smok, at least you know the why and what to look out for so you don't keep getting your mod wet with juice.

Getting my mod wet is one of my biggest issues with a tank. If it messes up my mod, it's going to make a high speed impact with my wall.

Reactions: stols001

VintageModMan

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2016
The problem with the wire sticking out like that is there's no way to maintain a proper seal on the bottom if the rubber/plastic plug is not flat. Juice will just track right out that path. While it's a crappy problem to have, and pretty poor QC on the part of Smok, at least you know the why and what to look out for so you don't keep getting your mod wet with juice.

Getting my mod wet is one of my biggest issues with a tank. If it messes up my mod, it's going to make a high speed impact with my wall.
I'll be honest I really think this is what happened with my wood Tesla mod

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eskie

Bradfordo

May 10, 2017

So turns out, my Predator just reads it as "SHORT". So, I guess I messed up.

chilling

May 8, 2017
SoCal, California
Hi again Chillin
What can I say but welcome to vaping. Actually with a bit of experience most of these problems are fairly easily overcome. First I suggest examining your tank closely and try and figure out how it works. Knowing how it works helps a lot in figuring out what is going wrong. A tank is a sealed unit with holes at the bottom and when filled with juice the juice will naturally stay in place if the holes are small enough and no air leaks into the space above the liquid. Same principle as a pet rodent water bottle uses. The holes though are actually too large to properly hold in the juice, all by itself the juice would leak out while air bubbles found their way into the tank through the same holes at the same time. The juice dosen't leak out because there is cotton wicking in front of the holes to provide just enough resistance to the juice flow to balance it out and keep the juice in the tank. As you vape juice out of the wick it is replaced slowly while air is allowed back into the tank through the wick.

Understanding that balance needs to be maintained to prevent leaks then leads to to ensuring a couple of things. First the tank needs to be sealed at all its joints. That has you examining for o-rings, the condition of o-rings, the mating of the parts of the tank, and keeping the top filler portion closed and sealed. That includes making sure your coils are sealing at both their ends. If the TV12 is like the BB & CB then there should be an o-ring at both ends of the coil though I believe the top one is actually on the bottom of the chimney.

Try testing various pieces for a seal by putting water in your tank and blowing into it to pressurize that space. You can test some of the seals this way. Water won't hurt anything as long as it dosen't get into your mod.

Try replacing the o-rings with your spares. Too long in an atty will have those silicon o-rings taking on the shape they are being compressed to, once moved the shape no longer fills the voids and you get leaks. Don't throw the original o-rings out as they will over time regain their proper shape and can be reused again. Be careful when stretching the o-rings out of and into place over top of what are usually pretty sharp threads so as not to damage them.

The other problem can be with the cotton in the coil. When you build your own it is a fairly common problem but is less so with pre-made coils. That's why folks are suggesting trying a different coil in it.

Also get yourself at least a 5 ml syringe with a fat blunt needle as that will make it much easier to suck juice out of tanks for things like this.

Thanks for the welcome, & I really appreciate the info.

I went to the vape shop and they installed a different coil, the V12-Q4. I still have the original V12-T12 that was leaking so i'll see if I can fix it. It has multiple wiring or pieces of coil? that are sticking out of the rubber at the bottom. It seems like a design flaw, but I will admit that when I filled up my tank I never closed off the airflow to create a vacuum effect.

Here are pictures of the T12 that was leaking, you can clearly see that the rubber grip is bulging in some areas.

RzOspc5.jpg

6OBTQRr.jpg

So to fix this I would just have to tuck in whatever is coming out of the rubber?

VintageModMan

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2016
Thanks for the welcome, & I really appreciate the info.

I went to the vape shop and they installed a different coil, the V12-Q4. I still have the original V12-T12 that was leaking so i'll see if I can fix it. It has multiple wiring or pieces of coil? that are sticking out of the rubber at the bottom. It seems like a design flaw, but I will admit that when I filled up my tank I never closed off the airflow to create a vacuum effect.

Here are pictures of the T12 that was leaking, you can clearly see that the rubber grip is bulging in some areas.

RzOspc5.jpg

6OBTQRr.jpg

So to fix this I would just have to tuck in whatever is coming out of the rubber?
Yes. I'm sure you see where the rubber is not flush. Which is causing the break in the water tight seal that keeps the juice inside the tank.

chilling

May 8, 2017
SoCal, California
Yes. I'm sure you see where the rubber is not flush. Which is causing the break in the water tight seal that keeps the juice inside the tank.

Bradfordo said he shorted his coil, will I possibly do the same? Like how should I tuck the parts that are sticking out, inside? Push them directly inward or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread