Smok XPro M80 Plus - new version, v6 firmware: temperature control testing results

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Hey all,

In another thread (Firmware Upgraded Smok xPro m80) we have been discussing the newest version of the smok XPro M80 Plus. At first we weren't certain that there was a new version, but I received my device this morning and was able to confirm that the latest stock has been upgraded to a new firmware version, version 0006. We subsequently also discovered a vendor who had v6 in stock and had published their findings.

I have now started testing the temperature control, which as most people know was pretty awful in the earlier revisions.

I have decided to make a dedicated thread for these results, so that I (and hopefully others) can post multiple test results in a single place which is easy to read.

I will continue to update this first post as I and others do more tests and discover more about the device.

Background:

• As you probably know, the M80 Plus temperature control (TC) has up until now been generally branded "useless".
  • They are now shipping a new updated version with further fixes - their second round of fixes for TC.
  • As of end March 2015, you should expect/require any M80 Plus you buy to come with firmware revision 0006.
  • Our understanding is that this version contains hardware changes as well as the new firmware:
    • and therefore it is almost certainly not possible to upgrade the earlier 0004 and 0005 to the latest 0006;
    • certainly there is no new v6 firmware available for download on the Smok site.
  • If you're going to buy an M80, it is highly recommend to check with your vendor to confirm that they have new stock - you don't want to buy one that they've had for more than a few days (as @ 31st March 2015).
    • Ideally, ask them to verify it reads "0006" on reset.
    • Presumably within a week or two all vendors will have them, but I wouldn't assume anything before buying.
  • I bought mine from My ePack in the UK, whom I can highly recommend for both price and service. They currently have the v6 M80 in stock in most colours.
  • Two US vendors known to have the updated version, in stock at time of writing: Origin Vape; Kingly Vapes.

Temperature Control Status and Expectations:

Kingly Vapes have published the following on their description of the M80 Plus:

Kingly Vapes re M80 Plus said:
Kingly Vapes received these items from Smok with an upgraded chip and upgraded firmware (v0006...previously, the latest available was v0005). Due to previous complaints on Reddit and YouTube about the temperature control functionality, we tested this extensively before putting it up for sale on our site. Here was our conclusion:

The temperature control will accomplish the ultimate goal of providing higher quality vape and avoiding dry hits, but it is not precise and as such will not pass a dry cotton test. When our tester built a coil of 30-gauge Ni200, and ran it at 370 degrees, it consistently burned the cotton. We feel that the reason for this is that the temperature control works by gradually backing off the wattage, as opposed to simply stopping to fire when the temperature threshold is reached. So, if you are vaping with juice, you still get results despite not having precise handling.

THIS DEVICE MAY NOT BE RETURNED TO US BECAUSE OF COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE TEMPERATURE CONTROL. Because we have presented you with an honest review of its capabilites, it would not be fair to allow returns because of it.

There are more expensive devices on the market that provide better temperature control that are in the $150 - $175 range, such as the VaporShark DNA40. If granular temperature control is your objective, I would advise considering making a purchase of that item!

EDIT: My preliminary tests results removed while I do more testing! I am starting to doubt my first results.

I feel a little like someone who has been duped by a trickster. I am starting to get a strong suspicion that the device doesn't really detect temperature at all, but rather just gives the impression of doing so.

Like someone who claims to speak French, and seems to do so quite well at first.. until you realise he's just memorised a few phrases and speeches. (Which is actually exactly how I passed my German exams, 18 years ago..)

I'll update more when I know more, and sorry if I've given false optimism :( There's still a chance it's doing something useful, I just need to test more thoroughly and it's nearly midnight here now.

Last edited:

Sykriss

Apr 1, 2014
Hudson, FL, USA
(not spamming, just trying to get my message spread so I can possibly fix my device)

I just got my M80+ in the mail yesterday and I believe I may have actually downgraded the firmware, now that I read about a v1.06 version. In the process of doing so, my + button has stopped working. Is there any way one of you with a v1.06 could use Smok's program to save a config isp so I can re-flash it to 1.06? At the moment my device is stuck at 42 watts in wattage mode (I can turn the wattage down, just not up, so I'd rather not turn it down from 42 watts so I can at least get that out of it). I can still use mech mode and it fires my .2 ohm atomizer at around 65 watts so I know the boost chip is still working fine. Smok's quality support line claimed it had failed, but clearly it has not. So this is what I ask of someone kind enough to help me. Download Smok's ISPTool that they use for updating the software on these devices:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdalsze1um...BSoft.zip?dl=0

Plug your device into your PC and let Windows automatically install the drivers. Afterwards, open up the ISPTool located in (by default) C:\Program Files (x86)\Nuvoton Tools\ISPTool. When it opens, hold the reset button and the fire button for three or more seconds, then release the reset button but continue holding the fire button, then click Connect in the program. Continue holding the fire button throughout this process. Once it is connected, simply click file and save config. This will save both the data and .hex information into a config I can use to re-flash my device to 1.06. This won't harm your device as you are not modifying any data on it, simply saving what it has into a .isp. I would greatly, greatly appreciate it if someone could do this for me. Thanks so much.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
My preliminary tests results removed while I do more testing! I am starting to doubt my first results.

I feel a little like someone who has been duped by a trickster. I am starting to get a strong suspicion that the device doesn't really detect temperature at all, but rather just gives the impression of doing so.

Like someone who claims to speak French, and seems to do so quite well at first.. until you realise he's just memorised a few phrases and speeches. (Which is actually exactly how I passed my German exams, 18 years ago..)

I'll update more when I know more, and sorry if I've given false optimism :( There's still a chance it's doing something useful, I just need to test more thoroughly and it's nearly midnight here now.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Yeah that guy making the video was duped even more easily than I was! I just added my own comment

His tests last precisely 12 seconds before it cuts out. Because 12 second is the cut out time. Doh.

I am getting more and more certain that this device has no semblance of temperature control. I don't think it can even read the resistance live (it certainly doesn't display it live).

I think what it has is a pre-programmed "wattage range", per temperature

I'm going to post a couple of quick videos in a minute, to give you guys an idea of what I'm seeing. I don't have time for more detailed testing/analysis yet, but I do have some videos from last night which I think tell a story on their own.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Video 1
  • Cold start (tank and device left for 90 mins before start of test)
  • Smok Ni200 coil, 0.2ohm resistance (Now shows as 0.22 when cold)
  • Temp Mode, set to 550F and 80W
    • The 80W is irrelevant though, as you'll see, because 550F will never fire higher than about 46W at this resistance
  • Main points of video:
    • no live ohm display - it doesn't even detect when the atty changes. Only updates ohms when fire is hit, and then doesn't live-update during the fire. Live reading of ohms is vital for proper TC. Maybe this is just display, and it does read it live? But I'm very sceptical based on the rest of the findings:
    • demonstrates that every time I fire it, it goes through the same pattern of wattages
    • It always starts at 26.9, this is clearly hardcoded against the 550F setting
    • Then it always goes to mid-40s, hovers around mid-40s then drops through the 40s to high 30s
    • The exact numbers within the 45-35 drop can vary, but the range is always roughly the same
    • Even though you'd surely expect a cold hit to need higher wattages than a chain-hit one minute later, when it's warmer

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
How do you like it as far as just a 80 w device?

That was the reason I bought it - at the time I ordered, I didn't know about the new v0006, and therefore I was buying it fully expecting TC to be a bust. I bought it on the basis that it didn't even have TC.

And on that basis, it's OK. There are several things I don't like about it compared to my iStick 50W - most in particular, the lack of any live ohm display. I thought I was going to be able to use this device in place of a proper ohms reader, because it has 2 decimal places. But I can't do that for any unknown coil, because it won't read ohms until I hit fire.

The fire button rattles a bit, but that's getting a bit better.

The battery is pretty good - though be aware that it's not the 4400mah quoted. The manual says 4000mah. And a Portuguese reviewer tested it at about 4100mah.

The form factor is fine.

The mech mode is completely useless and pointless.

It's the only device I have that can do 80W, and that's its main benefit to me. I will generally use my iStick 50W whenever I'm at <50W because overall I prefer it, but if I need more than 50W, the Smok will work fine.

Oh, and until I get a proper ohms reader I'll likely try coils on the Smok once I know they're safe, to get the 2 digit ohms reading. But I'll have to test them on the iStick always, first. And once I get my VF DNA 40 clone, which has both live ohms and 2-digit display, I won't use the Smok for that purpose any more.

For an 80W device with 4100mah battery at £45 / $55, it's pretty good overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread