Firmware Upgraded Smok xPro m80

Status
Not open for further replies.

SacredNut

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2014
Sanford, FL
So far I'm super impressed with the battery life on the M80. Vaped it atleast 200+ puffs during the evening/night when I first got it and went over 300 yesterday and am still over half full on battery and I don't believe it came fully charged. I know puff quantity is irrelevant since each one can vary with length, but I'd say I've gone through 5-7ml of juice thus far to give a better judgement. I haven't gone over 13 watts yet for what it's worth.

I will be using the VTR as I allow to charge and choosing 1amp makes sense to keep battery longer lasting.

I want to see how many days I can get before I first charge it, but after that I will make sure it never gets "weak" before charging in the future.

**Response from smok about version 0007 difference - "The control panel of version 0007 has a slightly different ,The function of these versions is the same. Thanks!"**

mr.fabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Southern Cal
Ahh yeah - I'm afraid Smok are notorious at being pretty awful at communicating. It was exactly the same when the v6 was released; we had rumours and speculation that the new batch had a higher firmware, but no info from Smok confirming that or what had changed. That's what this thread was originally about. Then when the v6 did come out, we then didn't know if it would be an upgrade that owners of earlier devices (v4, v5) would be able to download and upgrade to - we strongly suspected no, but Smok never directly confirmed it. We only knew for certain a few weeks later when Smok released the v5-1 and v6-1 firmwares, and confirmed that v5 users couldn't upgrade past v5-1.

There's no new announcement now so it seems very likely that the v7 cannot be upgraded to from v6, meaning there's a chip change as well as firmware. What we still don't know is what has actually changed! I'm guessing nothing hugely significant at this stage.

Of course the whole thing does give the full lie to their idea of "user upgradeable firmware." Sure it is, just they almost never actually release a firmware that anyone can upgrade to :)

There's been two possible upgrades so far - v5 came out which v4 users could upgrade to, which removed some of the delay on the 'TC' feature. Then v5-1 and v6-1 were available for v5 and v6 users respectively, adding a specific "SHORT" warning when you have a short. Minorly useful but hardly groundbreaking.

Now all the signs are that they've changed the IC again, so anyone future updates will be unavailable for anyone except v7 users.

I have upgraded the firmware of my Smok M80 Plus from v0006-1 to v0007-1 with no problems to report. I have yet to notice any differences with the new version as of yet. I have had absolutely no issues with the unit I received i.e., whining, crooked 510, seating gap space, charging, buttons not functioning, etc. I am anxious to see if the updated firmware will finally address the TC issue that everyone has been experiencing. According to SmokTech's updated website, the TC will work with Ni200...

23m6kvp.jpg

Has anyone with v0007 or v0007-1 confirmed whether the TC now works or is it still vaporware?

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
The M80 Plus will never have working TC. It does not and can not have TC in any sense that we understand it now. It never knows what temperature the coil is actually at, it does not sense temperature it just adjusts wattage according to a pre-programmed, fixed scale. It's at best fatally flawed, and at worst a deliberate lie.

Reactions: dr g

workman70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Knoxville, TN
Yes, I have the whine as well. It has been traced back to the display. Although somewhat annoying Ina dead silent room, it doesn't affect the vape and is typically drowned out by ambient noise. I understand that the temp control isn't true temp control, but it does work. You have an even temped vape experience. In tanks, there is almost no chance of igniting or burning the cotton...but it will burn if it is dry. The Evic VT 60 should take care of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread