Firmware Upgraded Smok xPro m80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
After reading loads of reviews of the smok xPro m80, it seems that the temperature control issues that so many people were experiencing have been fixed with the recent firmware upgrade. However, I haven't seen many reviews since the firmware upgrade other than a few mentions here and there about things being better, so can anyone comment on how they are working now? They seem to be out of stock everywhere at the moment, but I'm planning on picking one up when they're back in stock.

-Treeburner

rowsley

Ultra Member
Jan 26, 2015
Celina, Ohio
I was browsing and a site selling the smok xpro m80 plus
Has this update but I can't say for sure if this is a typo or not since I haven't seen anything official

**Please note the Smok XPro M80 is software updatable via USB cable. As part of supplying this device we will ensure the latest version of firmware is installed prior to shipping (Version V0006) This improves the overall device and provides better support for temperature.control modes with use of Nickel Ni200 wire only. Smoktek has advised future updates to improve this feature and possible add future features. We cannot.guarantee Smok will release any future firmware upgrades.**

rowsley

Ultra Member
Jan 26, 2015
Celina, Ohio
Confirmation with some vendors. Saying the delay was due to smok changing the hardware and will come with v0006.
I have no idea what that means for people who bought the first batch. I'm hearing v0004 and v0005 can't be upgraded via update to new version.

Again this is what I heard but some vendors showing this also. No official word from smok

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Confirmation with some vendors. Saying the delay was due to smok changing the hardware and will come with v0006.
I have no idea what that means for people who bought the first batch. I'm hearing v0004 and v0005 can't be upgraded via update to new version.

Again this is what I heard but some vendors showing this also. No official word from smok

Would be very fine if they have fixed this beast! Let us know when you can!

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Hey guys,

I ordered a M80 on Friday, and it will be delivered tomorrow.

I'm now really hoping that it's an upgraded unit. I hadn't realised until after I ordered that there might be a new hardware revision, but reading this thread and some other evidence now makes me think it could be.

Facts supporting that there might be upgraded compared to the first ones sold:

1. My vendor, like many others, was out of stock for weeks - I first tried to buy it beginning of March, and they said "We've pulled it from stock because of an issue with the 510 connector, we're expecting a revised version in a few weeks".
    1. Then it suddenly came back into stock last Thursday or Friday, and I bought it the moment I realised.
  2. What you guys just said about a reference to FW 0006
  3. One vendor in the US (Origin) is actually listing it as "Smok M80 Plus v2" - claiming it's got some HW upgrades. And they just got it back in stock in the last day or so, too.

So now I'm both excited and worried; if mine comes tomorrow and it says v5 I'm going to be annoyed! That'll be frustrating, though I did buy it not realising there even could be a later version, and I had no expectation of using it with TC, just as a cheap 80W APV.

Anyway I will update you around 2pm UK time tomorrow, when it should be in my sweaty little palms! :)

rowsley

Ultra Member
Jan 26, 2015
Celina, Ohio
Hey guys,

I ordered a M80 on Friday, and it will be delivered tomorrow.

I'm now really hoping that it's an upgraded unit. I hadn't realised until after I ordered that there might be a new hardware revision, but reading this thread and some other evidence now makes me think it could be.

Facts supporting that there might be upgraded compared to the first ones sold:

1. My vendor, like many others, was out of stock for weeks - I first tried to buy it beginning of March, and they said "We've pulled it from stock because of an issue with the 510 connector, we're expecting a revised version in a few weeks".
    1. Then it suddenly came back into stock last Thursday or Friday, and I bought it the moment I realised.
  2. What you guys just said about a reference to FW 0006
  3. One vendor in the US (Origin) is actually listing it as "Smok M80 Plus v2" - claiming it's got some HW upgrades. And they just got it back in stock in the last day or so, too.

So now I'm both excited and worried; if mine comes tomorrow and it says v5 I'm going to be annoyed! That'll be frustrating, though I did buy it not realising there even could be a later version, and I had no expectation of using it with TC, just as a cheap 80W APV.

Anyway I will update you around 2pm UK time tomorrow, when it should be in my sweaty little palms! :)
I'm sure if they just came in stock they will be updated for sure. The vendor I got mine from also just got them last Friday. And we will see more vendors have them in stock soon.

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Got an email from Electronic Cigarette | E Cigarette | myvaporstore saying they have them back in stock, but I already preordered an ipv4 from VapeNW. Hoping holding out for the yihi chip is worth it and there's no issues with the TC on the ipv.

Waiting to hear if TC is working on the upgraded m80's!

-Treeburner

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Waiting to hear if TC is working on the upgraded m80's!

I have absolutely no expectations, even if I do get a "version 6"

The statement Smok made when they released the v5 firmware basically admitted that it would need a new/upgraded chip to match the Evolv DNA 40 performance, that the upgrades they were making were small tweaks only.

Given how totally it fails at the moment, I'd be mega surprised if it got anywhere near succeeding at a dry cotton burn test.

What I'm interested to test is whether it does anything. Because I really can't believe that they would put out a feature - and then upgrade that feature at least once - that literally does nothing. It must do something. Unfortunately most YouTube videos have just done a dry cotton test, which we all know it fails.

What I want to see is whether it reduces dry hits on cotton that's getting drier but not yet bone dry. In the real world, we never vape truly dry cotton. If it greatly reduces wattage when the cotton is drying out, that would at least serve some useful purpose: it would tell us "re-drip now", in time for us to do so before the cotton spoils.

That's all I'm hoping for. Hopefully I can confirm it tomorrow. I'm fairly confident the M80 will arrive, because every package I've ordered from that vendor has arrived next day. The Ni200 wire was also shipped today but there's a small chance that won't come. But there's a good chance I can test everything tomorrow afternoon.

rowsley

Ultra Member
Jan 26, 2015
Celina, Ohio
A site called kingly vapes apparently tested the new version. This is what they say:

Kingly Vapes received these items from Smok with an upgraded chip and upgraded firmware (v0006...previously, the latest available was v0005). .Due to previous complaints on Reddit and YouTube about the temperature control functionality, we tested this extensively before putting it up for sale on our site. .Here was our conclusion:

The temperature control will accomplish the ultimate goal of providing higher quality vape and avoiding dry hits,.but it is not precise and as such will not pass a dry cotton test...When our tester built a coil of 30-gauge Ni200, and ran it at 370 degrees, it consistently burned the cotton. .We feel that the reason for this is that the temperature control works by gradually backing off the wattage, as opposed to simply stopping to fire when the temperature threshold is reached...So, if you are vaping with juice, you still get results despite not having precise handling.

THIS DEVICE MAY NOT BE RETURNED TO US BECAUSE OF COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE TEMPERATURE CONTROL. .Because we have presented you with an honest review of its capabilites,.it would not be fair to allow returns because of it.

There are more expensive devices on the market that provide better temperature control that are in the $150 - $175 range,.such as the VaporShark DNA40. .If granular temperature control is your objective, I would advise considering making a purchase of that item!

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
If this works as reported by Kingly Vapes guys, it is a reasonably good effort I think. Even if, as it appears, it is only backing down the power as the coil gets hotter (as the wick gets drier) than that is not bad for a ~£45 80w mod! As long as the slow ramp problem is fixed as well I might consider one now!

rowsley

Ultra Member
Jan 26, 2015
Celina, Ohio
Ah, great to know!

And shortly I can verify for real, because...

OK that would have been more dramatic had it not been blurry, but if it's not clear yes it does indeed say v6..! Woohoo!

My Ni200 came as well, so I shall be testing all this fairly soon today, and will of course report back.
Cool. Is the top and bottom stainless or black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread