Smoktech vivi nova taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqhertz1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2013
Miami, Fl
Just got my first ego kit today and immediately charged the battery and filled the tank. The kit is a Smoktech 900mah that came with their vivi nova and a USB cord. I used my wall adapter to charge it (5v 500ma - is that ok?) then proceeded to vape. The taste I got was no where near as clean as the taste I get from my eroll. It's a almost nasty plastic taste. Has anyone experienced similar? Do they need to be cleaned first?

Thanks

Last edited:

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
If i recall correctly, as long long as the charger mah is below that of the battery you should be golden.

Let's also be clear, the best and original vivi novas are by VISION, not smoktech. The smoktech ones are generally regarded as inferior, but I have never tried one myself. The easiest way to tell the difference is by looking at the heads.

So far all of the knockoff Vivi's I have seen were made by Smoktech and the best way to distinguish the difference was by looking at the heads.

In this picture the one on the left with the flat top is the Vision brand and the one on the right with the pointy top is the smok brand.

View attachment 213165

Also ALL of the real Mini Vivi Nova's I have seen say "Vivi Nova" on the tank, not "Mini Nova". Although I guess it is possible that they changed the wording a bit in recent production runs.

Knockoffs can and will copy the packaging as well as the design so sometimes it can be really difficult to spot knockoffs.

Edit: Once more thing. The Real Vivi heads have 3 different wick configs based on the resistance of the replacement head that you get. The 2.8 Ohm has 1 thick wick on each side, the 2.4 Ohm has 4 really thin wicks on each side, and I THINK the 1.8 Ohm has 2 wicks on each side. I might be off on which is which since I am doing this from memory.

You can get genuine vision vivi novas at myvaporstore.com, or you can forgo them entirely and try something like a kanger evod or protank, which are generally considered superior to the vivi novas at this point.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Just got my first ego kit today and immediately charged the battery and filled the tank. The kit is a Smoktech 900mah that came with their vivi nova and a USB cord. I used my wall adapter to charge it (5v 500ma - is that ok?) then proceeded to vape. The taste I got was no where near as clean as the taste I get from my eroll. It's a almost nasty plastic tank. Has anyone experienced similar? Do they need to be cleaned first?

Thanks

1. I normally wash EVERYTHING, from any brand, any vendor, or any style...except batteries of course. This is to remove any preservatives and/or contaminates that could have been introduced as part of the manufacturing process. The "plastic" taste may be residue left on the plastic tank from manufacturing. A thorough cleaning may or may not fix this. My Vivi's are the all metal Vision brand so I have never had a plastic taste.

2. As Orobas pointed out with my quote from another thread, the Smok version is the knockoff version and many people have had problems with them, but others do still enjoy them. I believe The Ocelot is one such person. From what I can tell, the primary complaint with the Smok version is that they can be more leaky and occasionally there is a problem with the center pin that needs adjustment to get it to fire. I don't recall too many complaints about taste though with either version of the Vivi Nova's.

3. The Vivi Nova's (even the Smok version) should come with 3 different resistance heads. I have found that some juices work better with different resistance heads (assuming a fixed voltage battery) depending on flavors, PG/VG ratio, and Nic strength. So before giving up try the other two heads that came with it. You may find that a higher or lower resistnce may make things better.

Sqhertz1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2013
Miami, Fl
Thanks for the replies.

I'm certain it's a Smok nova with a single 2.4 coil as it was part of a box kit from mad vapes. I didn't wash it at all cause I got too eager to try it out. No leaks or anything so far. I'm going to check out a local vape shop that opened by my job and maybe see about picking up a T2 or protank if the price is right. In the meantime I'll wash it out tonight as see how it is tomorrow.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Thanks for the replies.

I'm certain it's a Smok nova with a single 2.4 coil as it was part of a box kit from mad vapes. I didn't wash it at all cause I got too eager to try it out. No leaks or anything so far. I'm going to check out a local vape shop that opened by my job and maybe see about picking up a T2 or protank if the price is right. In the meantime I'll wash it out tonight as see how it is tomorrow.

I would suggest the Kanger EVOD over the T2 or T3. They are about the same price but the EVOD is the upgraded version of the other two. I have heard good things about the Pro Tank but as of right now it has a considerably bigger diameter than an eGo battery. There is a mini Pro tank in the works.

Good luck.

razor4432

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Wisconsin
From my experience, the Smok brand ones suck. One maybe two good hits then burnt taste galore. Regardless of how much I tip, roll, twist, etc. The B&M I got my Vision brand from unknowingly to me also had the Smok brand, went back the day after getting the Vision and ended up with 2 of the Smok brand and both gave the burnt taste problem. Didn't have voltage to high because I was on an ego-c at the time. The Vision brand I had no problems with.

I suggest the Protank over the T2, just my biased opinion as I have a Protank and the pyrex tank allows any liquid to be vaped. Flavor and vapor production is very good for a clearo.

Thought I'd share my $.02 as well :p

Last edited:

Alfro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2013
WP,PAP
To me, they worked in the same principal. Be it, from Smoktech or Vision.

Burnt taste remedy;

1- Dry burnt those wicks to remove any excessive substances on it. Test the coil ( attach the coil head to the center post only, and fire ) Observe closely, if you have the pre-made coils working in an even glowing pattern. Remove the silicon wrapping if there is any to be spotted. as they are redundant and known to give bad taste.

2- DIY. Discard those pre-made wicks.
Get yourself some silica wicks and 32awg wire as they are cheap and very handy, 2" wick + 4-5wraps kanthal @ 1.8-2.2 ohm.

you should be experiencing something better.

Sqhertz1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2013
Miami, Fl
Stopped by the vape shop and got shafted on a evod. I knew I paid too much but figured I would put my money into a local and hopefully upcoming business. At least I hope it was a legit evod like he told me. Either way, it's a huge improvement in performance over that vivi. Did the dry burn thing but haven't put it back together yet. The smell seems to have disappeared so I hope it's better.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread