The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Smoktech VV gripper

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by Stucco Jedi, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Stucco Jedi

Stucco Jedi Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Was checking this mod out has anyone tried one. Looking for input on how well they work and the pros and cons.

Happy vaping

2. Pappy

Pappy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 15, 2012
    Dallas, Tx
    It's an interesting looking mod for sure. I haven't seen anyone report on using one, but I'll be watching with interest.

3. Motoman101

Motoman101 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 18, 2012
    Florida
    Hi go to utube do a search under gripper mod ecig. A lot of good reviews. Can watch it in action

4. Hottody

Hottody Moved On ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2011
    Temcula CA
    Have not tried, but looks like a nice device. I like the size, looks like it would fit well in ones hand. For the money, I may consider one of these mods!

5. Stucco Jedi

Stucco Jedi Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

6. SpicyMcHaggis

SpicyMcHaggis Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamilton Ohio
    There's a thread in the Madvapes vendors section.

7. MickeyRat

MickeyRat Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2011
    Hickory, NC
    I have one. I'm not sure it's really 4 amps as claimed. I like it and it has a lot of features for what it is. However, what it is is a cheap mod. It's certainly not comparable to a Buzz Pro or a Provari but, the controls are easy to use and accesible. It works well. I like it.

8. rdbeads

rdbeads Full Member

Jun 17, 2012
    oregon
    I have had mine for 4 days now. I love it. I have Twists, VTube, and now this one. This one blows the others out of the water. It really is powerful. I found it light weight and it fits my hand nicely. I would prefer the firing button in a different spot, but it's really not a big deal. The battery door works well. It was a bit stiff at first, but now it's great. The only thing I don't like about the Gripper is that when you replace the battery you have to turn the machine back on and set the voltage again. If I changed my battery quickly enough on the VTube it would hold my last settings. Again, not really a big deal, 5 clicks and it is back on, just a minor complaint.

I would vape on my VTube at 4.6 to 5V. On the new Gripper, I vape at 4V down to 3.5V, same juice same Vivi Novas. Overall, I love it. My VTube just sits now.

I know it is strange, but I really missed the rubber coating that the Twists had. Since I couldn't find any other VV mods that had the rubber coating, trying the Gripper was a no brainer for me. It exceeded my expectations.

9. DarkAynjil

DarkAynjil Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    El Paso
    Lord Davon did a review on it. Mine is waiting at home for me - I'll let you know my 1st impressions.

10. crritter996

crritter996 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 26, 2009
    Simi Valley, CA
    Looks interesting and for only $64.95 i might just pick one up. i would like to see someone so an in depth Voltage analysis.

11. ogredog

ogredog Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 2, 2011
    fontana,Cali
    Find the discount code and its $46 out the door

http://www.electronicstix.com/GRIPPER18650.html

12. iamtumus

iamtumus Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

well according to
    Smoktech 18650 VV Gripper Review - YouTube
    5.2 is when the constant push of volts was pushed for a 2.5 ohm atty...
    that's only 2.08 amps...that means it has roughly a 2 amp limit.
    the 4 amp limit stated might be when the constant push of volts cuts out...
    which would mean that you could push a 1.5ohm all the way up to 6v with the constant push.

13. GIMike

GIMike Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 15, 2009
    Around OKC, OK
  14. DarkAynjil

Sep 23, 2011
    El Paso
    It has a good feel to it, but it is plastic, and I wouldn't want to drop it. I haven't done any tests yet, but expect some after a few hours. I'll see if I can find a scope to put on it too, for all you techies like me. So far it seems to ohm check carts pretty accurate, within .1 ohms, and the voltage doesn't seem "high" like others have said about the ovale and v1. I haven't metered anything yet.

Update 1. Metered the unit at 4.5v setting -- measures 4.59vdc on a fluke 115 true rms meter. I'll try measuring a spread of dc voltage settings later. Still looking for a scope here. .9 volt variance isn't bad for pwm rippling dc though... Just curious as to when it switches over to dc push mode.

15. MickeyRat

MickeyRat Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2011
    Hickory, NC
    I was able to get it to 5V constant with a 1.7 ohm atty. It wasn't pulsing then. I could measure the volts. The controls would go higher but, that was the limit on the in-line meter. That comes to 3 amps. As I understand it, the constant push is at the end and up to a certain number of amps it pulses. That could be nonsense but, it's what one reviewer (Lord Davon) said.

16. iamtumus

iamtumus Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

yeah i linked to his video...
    i don't own one nor do i know much about electronics, this is just my understanding

17. GIMike

GIMike Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 15, 2009
    Around OKC, OK
    Refreshing the USPS tracking page every hour yet again, anxiously awaiting my new PV :)

18. ogredog

ogredog Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 2, 2011
    fontana,Cali
    Got mine....I think i Got the code from ECF coupon thread....it was $46 works great....but it is plastic. Smaller than I thought too. Button placement isn't horrible but would be better on the grip

Just tap power button for the ohm rating.nice

19. DarkAynjil

Sep 23, 2011
    El Paso
    Did you check this on a scope or a meter? I'm still looking for a scope to borrow, but the problem is that a true rms meter will show dc voltages even if it's a pwm device. I believe the constant push would have to be around 4v or less on this circuit, the way that I understand it to be laid out. I think at the higher end the pwm just reaches a high enough frequency that most non-rms meters will pick up a dc voltage off the duty cycle. I have yet to prove this theory though, of course. Perhaps someone with a scope will post.

20. Rader2146

Rader2146 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 11, 2012
    Waco, TX
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.