Smoktech VV gripper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have the Variable Voltage Gripper ordered. I was looking for something small and lightweight that was also variable voltage. I really wanted a Mini Provari (I already have the regular with the 18650 battery extension cap), but I couldn't justify $200 for a second Provari and batteries at this time. I may reward myself with one on my 1 year anniversary of being smoke free come April.

I had begun using my Altsmoke BB (14500 size battery) for quick runs to the store or grocery shopping. Small, short, and lightweight. I kept thinking how a device this small with variable voltage would be so nice. I almost pulled the plug on the L Rider Robust, a 14500 battery variable voltage tube mod. Poor reviews by PBusardo convinced me to look elsewhere. I wasn't interested in getting an eGo VV, they are just too long.

So, I'd heard good things about the Gripper. If you can put up with the cheaply made plastic body and the poorly designed battery door, it seems like it could fit my needs well. I like that it is short, good for stealth vaping hiding in a fist. Small enough to easily fit in a shirt pocket. Powerful and long lasting vape with the 18650 battery. If I can keep the body and battery door together it should be a nice mod for out-and-about purposes.

Any additional comments from the peanut gallery? :pop:

michliu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Seattle, WA
I've been using my VV Gripper for the last month. I also have a Lavatube, and while the Gripper can't come close to the sturdiness, the Gripper's form factor is it's best selling point. Plus it's light and holds an 18650 in such a small footprint. I can carry it around in a pants or coat pocket, which is impossible with the LT, it's just too big and heavy. Mine, like so many others have said, has a slight wobble in the 510 connector, but I've stuck a 510/ego adapter on it with a tank cone and it provides a little extra stability with my heavier atomizers like the Aga-T. I hope that it will last 6 months or more, but I have an Innokin MVP that will probably replace it in my rotation anyway. But for now, the Gripper is my go-to PV when I leave the house.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have the Variable Voltage Gripper ordered. I was looking for something small and lightweight that was also variable voltage. I really wanted a Mini Provari (I already have the regular with the 18650 battery extension cap), but I couldn't justify $200 for a second Provari and batteries at this time. I may reward myself with one on my 1 year anniversary of being smoke free come April.

I had begun using my Altsmoke BB (14500 size battery) for quick runs to the store or grocery shopping. Small, short, and lightweight. I kept thinking how a device this small with variable voltage would be so nice. I almost pulled the plug on the L Rider Robust, a 14500 battery variable voltage tube mod. Poor reviews by PBusardo convinced me to look elsewhere. I wasn't interested in getting an eGo VV, they are just too long.

So, I'd heard good things about the Gripper. If you can put up with the cheaply made plastic body and the poorly designed battery door, it seems like it could fit my needs well. I like that it is short, good for stealth vaping hiding in a fist. Small enough to easily fit in a shirt pocket. Powerful and long lasting vape with the 18650 battery. If I can keep the body and battery door together it should be a nice mod for out-and-about purposes.

Any additional comments from the peanut gallery? :pop:
Well, an update on my Gripper is in store. After 7 weeks of use, one week shy of fulfulling its 60 day warranty, the three front buttons on the Gripper fell into the mod while adjusting the voltage. Prior to that, the center coil always was slightly wobbly, but I put up with it. I'd read about the poor design of the battery door, so I treated it with kid gloves during battery changes. Like most of the cheaper PWM mods, it would output 0.5-1.0 volts higher than the set voltage, compared to my Provari; I quickly learned to automatically adjusted my set voltages to compensate for the inaccuracy. The seam between the two body halves looked shoddy.

Despite all the above flaws, I really like the form factor. It was comfortable to use. The 18650 battery lasted all day long or more. The blue LED screen is easy to read and easy on the eyes. The fire button was clicky, but it never misfired.

While the Gripper was sent back to Mad Vapes for warranty exchange, I did further research and purchaced a Segelei/Ovale V8 vv mod for $30 from Discount Vapors. This is everything that the Gripper should have been. Much better construction.

So soon I will have two gripper-style box mods for out-and-about use.

Last edited:

michliu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Seattle, WA
While the Gripper was sent back to Mad Vapes for warranty exchange, I did further research and purchaced a Segelei/Ovale V8 vv mod for $30 from Discount Vapors. This is everything that the Gripper should have been. Much better construction.

So soon I will have two gripper-style box mods for out-and-about use.

I also ordered an Ovale V8+ recently, since I love the VV Gripper form factor. While better constructed in some areas, the battery springs in the units I have (I received 2 Ovale V8's, one with an ohms checker, one without) are a real pain point. It only takes a button top 18350, so the many flat top 18350's I have can't be used in this device. The battery compartment is tight, I need to use a credit card to push down the springs so I can wedge the battery in the compartment. Plus, 1 spring in each of the Ovales are crooked, so the spring lies over on its side when the battery is inserted. Because of the pain of getting batteries into the unit and the crooked battery springs, it's not a device I will use outside the house.

Despite the flaws, the VV Gripper is still a better device than the Ovale 8 IMHO.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I also ordered an Ovale V8+ recently, since I love the VV Gripper form factor. While better constructed in some areas, the battery springs in the units I have (I received 2 Ovale V8's, one with an ohms checker, one without) are a real pain point. It only takes a button top 18350, so the many flat top 18350's I have can't be used in this device. The battery compartment is tight, I need to use a credit card to push down the springs so I can wedge the battery in the compartment. Plus, 1 spring in each of the Ovales are crooked, so the spring lies over on its side when the battery is inserted. Because of the pain of getting batteries into the unit and the crooked battery springs, it's not a device I will use outside the house.

Despite the flaws, the VV Gripper is still a better device than the Ovale 8 IMHO.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I neglected to comment on the springs in the battery compartment. However, that is the ONLY thing that is inferior to the Gripper, to my mind.

The vaping experience (electronics) is similar between the two, they are each comfortable and easy to hold, equal in size and shape, and equal in battery usage and life. The Ovale has one design flaw, the Gripper has many.

I wouldn't fault the Ovale for whatever batteries that you already happened to have in your collection. That's beside the point. Do some research online and find out what batteries the device needs before you purchase it, I did.

Glad that you enjoy your Gripper. I'll take that Ovale off your hands if you don't want it. :D

Last edited:

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
Well...I love both my VV Gripper AND my Ovale V8s. I got two of the V8s too...one with ohm check one without like michliu. I haven't had any real trouble with my battery springs. But I do take my time and am careful putting the batteries in. While it's not a "fault", one thing about the V8 I have to take into account is that it runs even stronger (voltage/wattage) than the VVG. Not by much..maybe .1 to .3 volts. Doesn't bother me. I just know to compensate. The big plus imho is the bigger metal 510 connection piece on the top. It just seems more solid.

I now have two VV Grippers. I had a black one, and today received my new silver VVG. The black one is about 5 months old and everything is still intact for me. I use it every day. I did reinforce the battery door with a piece of electrical tape to fit so that it holds the door shut. It can be peeled back to change the batteries and re-stuck over and over. When it gets tired it's easy to replace. The black elec. tape matches the Gripper body really well. It's just an "insurance policy". I do concur that the 510 connection tends to wobble a bit with a full 6ml. tank and SS drip tip on it. Not severey...just a little wobble. I am careful with that too. BUT...the new silver one I got today does NOT wobble at the connection. At. All. And the battery door doesn't act as floppy as the black one. It's actually a bit stiff and seems (so far) to be pretty sturdy.

Bottom line is both devices have a few little quirks...but both perform very much the same, and both have a great form factor.

Last edited:

michliu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Seattle, WA
I wouldn't fault the Ovale for whatever batteries that you already happened to have in your collection. That's beside the point. Do some research online and find out what batteries the device needs before you purchase it, I did.

Glad that you enjoy your Gripper. I'll take that Ovale off your hands if you don't want it. :D

You're right, I should have researched more on the batteries, but I would have bought it anyway. The 2 for 1 deal at Arizona Vapor Trails was too good a deal to pass up. And the only way you'll get my Ovale is prying it out of my cold, dead hands.:) As you know, the VV Gripper will fail in any of a number of places at some point and time. When that time comes, I'll have 2 backups to bring up in the rotation and an order in for several more 18350 button tops!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I just got the replacement VV Gripper a couple of days ago, and I must say the connector on this new one is much more sturdy (in fact it's solid), where the original one was shaky from the get go. I guess I was really dogging the first one as it didn't make it past the 60 day warranty, which in hindsight I'd be even more ...... if it had happened immediately after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread