Status
Not open for further replies.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
Kind of reminds me of the days when Pontiac sold the GTO's and said they had 350 HP (insurance HP) when it was more like 500

Very weird!
I saw a GTO earlier on, bare in mind that I'm living in Dublin - you don't see anything like that here - ever.

I know we harp on about our preferred choice of device, the V and the Z have a massive amount of admirers and you can't argue with that - people wouldn't post here if they didn't love them so much.

One man's meat is another man's poison as they say - the Z is great but it's not for me!

jbsoum

Verified Member
Oct 10, 2010
USA
I posted that whilst you did - got to learn how to type faster!

3 watts on a 2.6ohm carto/atty = 8.1 watts
3 watts on a 1.4ohm carto/atty = 13 watts

Not very consistent is it?

So, just to make sure I understand.

The Z-Max is not maintaining the same wattage on different atomizers? Isn't that the point of VW?

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
jackbox....just wondering....with the power set to 6.5p you are getting a great vape....so when you put on a different ohm atty/carto (leaving the setting at 6.5p) do you get the exact same great vape?? I don't recall any post here about what happends when carto/atty ohm rating is changed, and the setting is not changed.... thx

I will use mine in VW mode. Does the accuracy bother me? No. I found where I like it. I have it set at 6.5P and that gets me around 10 watts where I like it. Don't consider the numbers exact settings but a sliding power meter and then it doesn't matter to people like me. If you want to use it in VV mode then that is another answer. I am sure v2, v3...v99 will get it more smoothed out.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
So, just to make sure I understand.

The Z-Max is not maintaining the same wattage on different atomizers? Isn't that the point of VW?

It's within tolerances using the 18650 setup - all the measurements are close enough (.5 of a watt) with a few different resistances.
When in the stacked setup everything goes horribly wrong - the boost circuit is calibrated better than the buck.

Using the stacked configuration is a bad idea unless you like a really hot vape.

Stonemull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It's within tolerances using the 18650 setup - all the measurements are close enough (.5 of a watt) with a few different resistances.
When in the stacked setup everything goes horribly wrong - the boost circuit is calibrated better than the buck.

Using the stacked configuration is a bad idea unless you like a really hot vape.

true enough, there is no buck regulator though, single batt mode uses boost to pump it up to about 5v internally, dual battery mode uses just the battery voltage and then it PWMs it down from that.
it runs out of volts in single mode at higher wattages. the voltage from the boost also drops as the battery discharges, not shown in tests yet but i did get reducing wattages as battery runs down.

if you like low watt vaping though .. single mode is useable.
if you like high watt vaping then go for the dual batterys and its useable.

its not quite a one size fits all yet but its more versatile than the vmax anyway.

i think they need to adjust the price point though, its not that much cheaper than a base model provari .. and a provari its not especially with wrong VW parameters.

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
Question: What 18650s are you guys using with your zmax?

Just got mine yesterday. Has two 18650 1500mah IMR batteries I bought from bestinone last year. Not very good as the voltage dropped fast. Got about three hours on each fully charged cells. To be fair the batteries were used a lot in Ego Mod tubes and have a lot of recharge cycles on them. Just before I went to bed I put in the eFest (made by company that owns bestinone) 2000mah that Pink Mule gave me for free with the ZMax. I will report back on how long it lasts. I also have one Panasonic CGR on order to test it out.

jackbox....just wondering....with the power set to 6.5p you are getting a great vape....so when you put on a different ohm atty/carto (leaving the setting at 6.5p) do you get the exact same great vape?? I don't recall any post here about what happends when carto/atty ohm rating is changed, and the setting is not changed.... thx

Have not taken the Vivi Nova off it yet. My Phiniacs went back to the U.S. to have frost color added. When I try another resistance I will let you know.

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
This may have been discussed before, but if so, I missed it. — How accurately does the Zmax read atty resistance?

Are there any comparisons of Zmax resistance readings to DMM readings, or Provari readings, on the same atomizing devices? According to Stoney (the ECD meter guy), the Zmax's most useful mode is VW rather than VV, but since wattage is a derived value based on atty ohms and (variable) voltage, it seems to me that if the atty resistance readings aren't accurate, it's hard to see how the wattage settings could even be relatively accurate ... assuming that the Zmax is at least consistent in its misinterpretation of voltage values.

SolemnPenguin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
Houston, TX
This may have been discussed before, but if so, I missed it. — How accurately does the Zmax read atty resistance?

Are there any comparisons of Zmax resistance readings to DMM readings, or Provari readings, on the same atomizing devices? According to Stoney (the ECD meter guy), the Zmax's most useful mode is VW rather than VV, but since wattage is a derived value based on atty ohms and (variable) voltage, it seems to me that if the atty resistance readings aren't accurate, it's hard to see how the wattage settings could even be relatively accurate ... assuming that the Zmax is at least consistent in its misinterpretation of voltage values.

Mine agreed with my Provari within 0.1ohms. So I'd say it does that pretty well.

hubblecraft83

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
253057_378167438918421_1007670854_n.jpg

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Just recieved my SS Zmax today :)

The fire button is 100 times better than the fire button on vmax...

And it doesn't give F1 errors every time I put a genesis atty on it like the vmax did.

Im loving it so far.
I have been looking here for your posts, I thought maybe you would get it yesterday. Good to hear.

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
That's all that really counts at the end of day!

The guys on VPLive are going out of their way to trash the ZMax. I don't get it. They keep saying don't buy it. I say to heck with them. Buy one if you want one. We have free will to ignore the naysayers. Oh yeh, it wobbles. Wow, I guess I should get rid of mine. I don't leave my mods standing up any more even with flat bottoms. I inevitably knock them over anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread