Social acceptance of vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
I had no help when I started vaping, just a clear understanding that after 30 years of smoking my days were numbered and I was tired of coughing up a lung every morning. I wanted an easy way to quit and this seemed like a promising way to achieve that. I didn't know one person that vaped back then.

After 2 weeks with an eGo/Carto I felt like a new man and I couldn't wait to convert my friends. It didn't happen. Not even one in the beginning, and only one since then and he is a younger person that thought cloud chunkin' was cool (he's changed his style since then) My older friends were like "dude, they don't know what's in that stuff"...really?? We DO know what's in those cigarettes you're sucking on!

How could someone as ignorant as I was switch so easily and immediately realize and understand the benefits of vaping? How can the rest of the world not see what we all know? Is it really because of the MSM's sensationalism? It's too easy to find the truth these days (about anything) yet so few bother to look.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Great thread @Rancid (it's been discussed a lot but nothing wrong with bringing this back up)
Ironically, I quit smoking by vaping for almost a year then gradually slipped back into doing both. Proud to say I'm almost 2 weeks smoke free and proud to say "do I smoke... NO, I'm a vaper" I went to the doc today for my annual physical... told her what I just said and she was very happy I quit smoking but (in a very nice way) asked me how I quit. I told her vaping and asked (once again without judging... I like this doc) are you worried about vaping" I explained the whole thing about how the media made it like all vaping was bad and it was actually the media giving false info (because it was actually black market "carts" of "the other stuff" with added ingredients that should not be in there) To my surprise, she was very interested and seemed to believe me (I wouldn't be surprised if she went home at the end of the day and did some research on that) She did agree that it was much better than smoking. Back when all this BS was on the media, I had so many people walk up to me (when I was vaping in public) and say "aren't you afraid you are going to die from that?" BTW, I am super careful when vaping in public (just like when smoking) to keep a distance and be aware of which way the wind was going. We are never going to live down this bad rap the media created but little by little maybe we can educate a few about the truth. I could go on but it's time to go vape ;)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I switched to vaping in 2010 and it was an easy transition for me. I bought my first Joye 510 cig-a-like and I was on my way to quitting cigs for good. I vaped and smoked an occasional cigarette after meals and with my morning coffee. About 3 months into vaping I decided that doing both was unnecessary and I quit after the last pack was gone. Since early 2010 I've vaped and haven't even considered smoking. I still mix up 3mg/ml nic unflavored juice and it satisfies my need for nic just fine.

I've thought about trying a higher nic level again and just hitting it a few times a day, but in my experience I vaped more as I got used to higher nic.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Great thread @Rancid (it's been discussed a lot but nothing wrong with bringing this back up)
Ironically, I quit smoking by vaping for almost a year then gradually slipped back into doing both. Proud to say I'm almost 2 weeks smoke free and proud to say "do I smoke... NO, I'm a vaper" I went to the doc today for my annual physical... told her what I just said and she was very happy I quit smoking but (in a very nice way) asked me how I quit. I told her vaping and asked (once again without judging... I like this doc) are you worried about vaping" I explained the whole thing about how the media made it like all vaping was bad and it was actually the media giving false info (because it was actually black market "carts" of "the other stuff" with added ingredients that should not be in there) To my surprise, she was very interested and seemed to believe me (I wouldn't be surprised if she went home at the end of the day and did some research on that) She did agree that it was much better than smoking. Back when all this BS was on the media, I had so many people walk up to me (when I was vaping in public) and say "aren't you afraid you are going to die from that?" BTW, I am super careful when vaping in public (just like when smoking) to keep a distance and be aware of which way the wind was going. We are never going to live down this bad rap the media created but little by little maybe we can educate a few about the truth. I could go on but it's time to go vape ;)

I've been through the same dialog with a few friends who tried to tell me about the newspaper articles where vaping injured or killed users. I explain to them why that happened to a few who vaped dangerous chemicals in their vape device. Eventually, it all makes sense to them once they understand that those people used vaping to inhale chemicals that are deadly. I tell them what's supposed to be used in vaping and then they understand vaping and why those few who died aren't with us anymore.

I wish the news would include those little pearls of wisdom when they report on people who break the rules and lace their vape with deadly substances.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
Unfortunately, it's also very easy to find sources that back whatever nonsense one believes.

Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values. (Wikipedia)

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Eq-pSAVVoAICmGX-1.jpeg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.