Some help with my vaping experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Tchock

Apr 29, 2015
Hi forum

I've been trying to get the hang of this vaping thing for a few months now, but since I made the step up from basic tanks and batteries, I've had a few problems. Here's my slightly long-winded history:

My first proper attempt was an Ego One. I got that and some Wake n vape eliquid, and with the 0.5 coil, it was great. I even grabbed a second Ego one kit in the smaller size.

That liquid ran out pretty quick, and I was given a bottle of The King, by King's Crown... That started giving me burnt hits pretty quickly, so I figured I'd buy new coils.

It was the same story with those, however - I'd prime the coil, allow it to soak in the tank, and take a few draws without power. Initially fine, but the burning taste crept in very quickly. Maybe a bad coil, but I've now gone through the whole pack with the same results. Sometimes it lasted a little longer, but never more than few hours. This was even the case with other liquids; a 70/30 VG/pg mix from B-juice for example. In the end I was refunded for most of the coils.

So after some frustration, I bought a subtank nano to use on the Ego batteries - and I have the same issues. Its not as bad with the nano, but with a darker liquid I can see the coil is quite gunked up and blackened after only a few days use.

So I'm not really sure where to go now. I've wasted a fair bit of juice, and I'm out of coils. Its worth noting I've been lent an RDA with a 0.4 dual coil build, and its actually been great on the ego batteries - but its not a convenient thing to take out with me.

My plan was to completely clean the nano, which I've had less than a week, buy some coils and research a juice that should be happy with the sub-ohm coil. I really don't want to spend much more, as I pretty much hit my budget already. I plan to be rebuilding coils, and moving onto an RDA in the future, but right now I have 3 tanks that just seem to burn up and I can't see why. Potential factors are... Unsuitable juice, a string of coincidentally bad coils, the batteries, or just me missing something.

Sorry for a long post, its been a very frustrating experience - particularly since it worked so well for about 10 days. Any advice would be welcome.

Reactions: Izan

Apple_Betty

Apr 28, 2015
Durand, Michigan
A bad back of coils is a possibility, it does happen from time to time. However, the biggest culprits that I have found for blackening coils is sweeteners in the liquid and running at too high wattage/voltage. The_Nom is also correct, 70/30 might be too thick for your tank. I usually tank 50/50 and use higher VG on my RDAs.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi forum

I've been trying to get the hang of this vaping thing for a few months now, but since I made the step up from basic tanks and batteries, I've had a few problems. Here's my slightly long-winded history:

My first proper attempt was an Ego One. I got that and some Wake n vape eliquid, and with the 0.5 coil, it was great. I even grabbed a second Ego one kit in the smaller size.

That liquid ran out pretty quick, and I was given a bottle of The King, by King's Crown... That started giving me burnt hits pretty quickly, so I figured I'd buy new coils.

It was the same story with those, however - I'd prime the coil, allow it to soak in the tank, and take a few draws without power. Initially fine, but the burning taste crept in very quickly. Maybe a bad coil, but I've now gone through the whole pack with the same results. Sometimes it lasted a little longer, but never more than few hours. This was even the case with other liquids; a 70/30 VG/pg mix from B-Juice for example. In the end I was refunded for most of the coils.

So after some frustration, I bought a subtank nano to use on the Ego batteries - and I have the same issues. Its not as bad with the nano, but with a darker liquid I can see the coil is quite gunked up and blackened after only a few days use.

So I'm not really sure where to go now. I've wasted a fair bit of juice, and I'm out of coils. Its worth noting I've been lent an RDA with a 0.4 dual coil build, and its actually been great on the ego batteries - but its not a convenient thing to take out with me.

My plan was to completely clean the nano, which I've had less than a week, buy some coils and research a juice that should be happy with the sub-ohm coil. I really don't want to spend much more, as I pretty much hit my budget already. I plan to be rebuilding coils, and moving onto an RDA in the future, but right now I have 3 tanks that just seem to burn up and I can't see why. Potential factors are... Unsuitable juice, a string of coincidentally bad coils, the batteries, or just me missing something.

Sorry for a long post, its been a very frustrating experience - particularly since it worked so well for about 10 days. Any advice would be welcome.

Pick up some of the Ego one rebuildable coils, they are easy to re-wick and will allow you to burn the "crud" from the coil and pop a tuft of cotton/rayon in and you are set for another week. As noted above...the sweeter the juice, the more quickly the deposits build up on the coil.

Have fun
I

Dr Tchock

Apr 29, 2015
Cheers for the welcome, and the replies!

I wouldn't say my choices were particularly sweet, I avoid the traditional dessert choices, and veer towards the coffee or tobacco flavours with a hint of extra flavour - buttery, vanilla, cinnamon etc. Even so, I'd be disappointed if this meant my coils lasted only 2-3 days. They do tend to be the darker liquids too, but again, if they caused such a problem I'm not sure why they'd be so popular.

I did notice the CLR heads for the ego one were coming, but I don't think they're available in the UK yet. I'll be keeping an eye on those though.

So with the 0.5 coils, I should be looking for a thinner juice, around 60 VG Max? There's a local store where I can pick up OCC coils tomorrow, so my plan was to do that and get a juice to try.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Ive only got 3-4 days most out of the stock occ.'s in the subtank.
Or a week in ones I rebuilt.Depending on whats in the liquid some do gunk up coils faster than others.
Watts/volts with an ego battery shouldn't be an issue , think they go up to 4.8v , with the 1.2Ω its within its recommended range.

Dr Tchock

Apr 29, 2015
So what's likely to be my most sensible option, alongside finding an ideal juice?

- Buy 0.5 OCC coils tomorrow
- Buy Joyetech CLR heads, hope it's quick postage from Joyetech UK
- Buy a Subtank Mini tomorrow, and try the rba deck

I'd say that's as far as my budget can stretch at the moment, to salvage my 3 tanks. Anyone have a juice recommendation for 0.5 coil tank use? Something like tobacco or coffee, maybe with a sweet edge to it?

Dr Tchock

Apr 29, 2015
Try a lower voltage/wattage. start low and gradually build up the voltage/wattage till you find your sweet spot.

Not an option with my ego one batteries, unfortunately. I avoided box mods with those features due to the form factor/power combo offered by these.

I will look at getting one eventually, but I have spent almost £100 already - I admittedly rushed out and got a second ego one, which I vaguely regret, but in theory it should be a great mix of portability and power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread