Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I use the bases from my miniprotanks on my protanks; plus drill the miniprotank bases out for air.
302467d1391538435-hello-everyone-img_20140204_141115.jpg

Dang Boy... That is One Long APV.

LOL

Ed Kindred

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, Texas, United States
Interesting! Where do you buy coils that last more than a day? Three suppliers I have ordered from all sell the same bad stock. They are all from different parts of the US.

I buy them at my local shop. I'm convinced that the extra cooling is allowing my coils to last. They are 2.4 ohm Kangers. We're using 1300 mah Ego-T batteries on PT2 tanks on all but 1 of 9. The 1 is a Nautilus with a 2200 mah Ego-T battery. One of the holes I bore out is the inlet piece on the coil. It pops right out with needle nose pliers. Hold it with regular pliers & run a 1/16" drill thru it. I also use Kanger Air Control valves & bore all 3 holes all the way to the center with a 1/16" drill. It's a little airy opened all the way but it's adjustable.

sirminus

Jul 11, 2014
Tempe, AZ
Just as a little update from my end. It seems to be the juice that has been causing my problems. I picked up a bottle of juice from my local shop and it's been 3 days now with zero issue. Also, did my first dry burn and worked like a charm.. sheesh, wish I knew of this years ago. I probably threw away hundreds of perfectly fine coils. Thanks for all the feedback and pointers everyone!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I buy them at my local shop. I'm convinced that the extra cooling is allowing my coils to last. They are 2.4 ohm Kangers. We're using 1300 mah Ego-T batteries on PT2 tanks on all but 1 of 9. The 1 is a Nautilus with a 2200 mah Ego-T battery. One of the holes I bore out is the inlet piece on the coil. It pops right out with needle nose pliers. Hold it with regular pliers & run a 1/16" drill thru it. I also use Kanger Air Control valves & bore all 3 holes all the way to the center with a 1/16" drill. It's a little airy opened all the way but it's adjustable.

My local vendor bought huge quantities of Kanger and Aspire heads just before the Chinese New Year. She's stuck with a lot of bad coils and Kanger won't exchange them because they only admit to a problem with wick diameter being to small in MAY. If they weren't purchased in May, then they won't give credit.

The trouble is that there are no date codes on any Chinese products I've seen. How do they know what's good and what's bad, even if they admit a problem?

I ordered coils from a Connecticut vendor who makes it very plain that ALL of his coils come straight from Kanger, Aspire, and the original vendors. Same problem with the non resistive legs coming unsoldered within 24 hours. You can see the hole where the coil end wire came out of the solder blob. The non-resistive leg falls out when you remove the grommet. It's either low melting point solder or cold solder joints. They aren't shiny, they are dull gray, which is the signature of a cold solder joint.

Most vendors all make it plain that they don't warranty coil heads unless the vendor gives them credit. That doesn't happen often.

Last edited:

sirminus

Jul 11, 2014
Tempe, AZ
So here is another quick update. Recently received another bottle from that vendor, unfortunately it had already been ordered before I connected the dots. To satisfy my curiosity, I tried one more time with a new bottle of the juice in question. As expected the coil was toast or gunked within 6 hours. The juice I normally get has been working just fine now for 4+ days on the same coil.

As far as the dry burning, I have had minimal luck with it. Do I completely dry the coil/wick prior to hitting it with the battery? Or, do I leave a little moisture in the wicks to help burn it? Thanks again for all the help guys.

-The new guy

Cigmund

Jun 11, 2012
Lichfield
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a long time. I've been searching for an answer to a problem for a few days and can't find any info specific to this. I recently changed where I get my juice and am starting to have some issues with my coils burning out wayyyyy to quickly. My setup hasn't changed and the brand of juice I use is the same, just sourced from another vendor. I'm using an ego c twist battery, ce5 tank with t2 coil. I vape a lot and will average around 4 solid days with a coil before it starts to get wonky. Right now, I'm not even getting a full day of vaping before my coil dies. Am I missing something? Like I said, my setup and habit hasn't changed, the only new variable is my juice. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Dekang had a problem with too much starch and polysaccharides from Herbal extracts finding their way into the eliquid. This high level readily carbonises on the coil, in fact Dekang say it was three times higher than normal. The batch of Herbal extract was used in Eliquid starting in March 2014 and going into April. If your Eliquid date of manufacture is around this time then it is the eliquid not the coils. We are assured it is entirely harmless, if you have the bottle still can you confirm the date of manufacture?

Regards

H

PS This only applies to Dekang E liquid

Last edited:

sirminus

Jul 11, 2014
Tempe, AZ
Dekang had a problem with too much starch and polysaccharides from Herbal extracts finding their way into the eliquid. This high level readily carbonises on the coil, in fact Dekang say it was three times higher than normal. The batch of Herbal extract was used in Eliquid starting in March 2014 and going into April. If your Eliquid date of manufacture is around this time then it is the eliquid not the coils. We are assured it is entirely harmless, if you have the bottle still can you confirm the date of manufacture?

Regards

H

The bottles of Dekang in question have been re-branded from the vendor I purchased from, so there is no date stamp.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Regards

H

Just Curious what your Source of this Information is?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

As far as the dry burning, I have had minimal luck with it. Do I completely dry the coil/wick prior to hitting it with the battery? Or, do I leave a little moisture in the wicks to help burn it? Thanks again for all the help guys.

-The new guy

There are Hundreds of Threads about Dry Burning here on the ECF.

As to Drying the Completely Drying the Wick before Dry Burning? That is the Preferred Method. Not because it Makes the Dry Burn Better. But because it is Easier on your Battery.

I rinse in Hot Tap Water and then Wedge the Atty/Cleao into the Grille of a Fan. After an Hour or so the Wick is Pretty Dry.

Then I give the Atty/Clearo a Power Burst until I see a Wisp of Smoke come Off the Coil. Let it Rest for 3 or 4 Seconds. Then Repeat until the Coil Starts to Turn Red. Rest. Repeat if Smoke is Still Coming Off.

The Biggest Mistake people make is Dry Burning Too Long. Smashing Down the Power Button and making the Coil Glow like a Toaster is a Great Way to Pop your Coil. And Once there is No More Smoke, you Are Done.

Then Give your Atty/Clearo another Hot Rinse and Shake/Blow out as much water as you can. No Need to Completely Dry if you want to use the Atty/Clearo right away. Just Fill and Go.

WARNING: Dry Burning should Never be Done on Any Type of Atomizer Wick Except a Pure Silica Wick. And Should Never be Done on a Filler Type Carto.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
well, first off you are not burning coils. The actual coil will last months if properly maintained. One can burn their wick, this is either done by running out of juice, wick dries out and burns, or you aren't wicking properly, and the wick can't keep up with the coil. Or, have a hot spot, loose wrap in coil, which is get to hot and drying out a portion of wick and burning.

Know on some changeables, over tightening them to the batt device can cause twisting of the coil, causing hot spots and dry hits. Also, not allowing sufficient time for juice saturation into the wick, before taking that first vape, can damage wick, decreasing it's wicking potential, shortening it's life, and promote flooding issues.

Understand you claim all thing remain the same, but that's not totally true. The weather, humidity, atmospheric pressure all have changed, add in possible changes in juice recipe and vg levels, lots of room for inconsistencies. Just saying.

Add in quality control issues of pre made coil and wicks, yeah, now we talking a recipe for disaster. I quickly learned early in my vape journey, that the best vape possible can be found in the world of rba's, re-buildable atomizers. This also, once competent at building, is the source for the most consistent and trouble free vape that there is to be found. But, takes time, knowledge and practice to get their. It's like building a hot rod and model rocketry all in the same hobby.

I gave up on changeables last September, just weeks after discovering the ecf. had a pt, that have give away, and never looked back. But the two things mentioned were instrumental on getting the most out of me coil heads. 2 or 3 weeks, still had 3 heads left when went rba. lol

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

-The new guy

One Other thing I forgot to Mention about Dry Burning.

If you have a VV Device, set it at about 3.5V to do your Dry Burn. Things Happen Slower and Lower Voltages. And it is Easier on your Coils than Using 5v and Making a Big, Angry Red Glow.

txjim

Jul 14, 2014
Lively, Texas
I'm still using the Kanger MT3S I started with. No matter what juice I used, my coils only lasted about one day. After going through a box of coils a week, I bought some 32ga and 30ga Kanthal and some 2mm and 3mm silica wicks. I rewound my own coils to suit my juice, which I mix myself now. I bought those coils for about a buck apiece (and kept every one of them), but even one a day was more than I wanted to spend. Now it costs me about 5 cents a day and that includes juice. A lot cheaper than a buck a day and a lot cheaper than two packs of analogs a day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread