Someone knows how to make friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
the last attack aimed at me was started by a newcomer with commercial interests aided and abetted by forum members who should have known better but like having a go at me..

it caused me to pm joe and ask for all traces of me and my past posts to be removed from this forum.. if my request (to joe) had have been gone along with i would have been gone along with all traces of me weeks ago..

i consider my past posts on this place before i started flogging e cigs to be dangerous.. and ever since i became "real" i have been pretty much defenseless and struck dumb..

for fear of attack by certain forum members that can threaten by business and commercial interests.. this is just my case.. i feel i have the right to state it..

the attacks dont have to be based on valid reasons.. the issue is.. its just "fun" to those who make them and they can be totally fictitious and made up... just like the people who make them are...

my request to have all comments made by me removed from this place was a genuine one..

i respected joes reasons for not doing this but it does open up an interesting question..

this can be done by the way.. its built in the forum software..

the question... should i have the right to ask for all traces of me to me removed or should i not.. its an interesting one.. both from ethical and legal points of view..

does the writer own whats written on a forum or does the forum owner.. ????

its not one i can readily answer..

trog

Unless there was some sort of disclaimer or agreement during sign up or released as new update that needs agreement by user, that states that site owner owns rights to speech submitted or of some sort.
Thinking on it in a different stand point, It can be more of a courtesy for the owner to actually remove the requested posts. Because we do have editing permissions. Lol but going back to our standpoint. Since the request was made for the reasons of threatening one's life here on the forum....Just going to stop right here, there are points that are open to be proven but it can swing either way.

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
My understanding is that, when work is submitted for publication (print or web) then unless an agreement has been made to the contrary the copyright to the resulting published material belongs to the publication rather than the writer.

Let's say you write something in Word. When you have written it then the copyright is yours. You then submit that to a publication. Unless that publication states that copyright rests with the author then it becomes the "property" of the publication.

In my country it is not legally possible to even sell your your copyright. When the publisher publishes a book I translated (translation (c) is mine, original text (c) is the English author´s), I can only sell them *permission to print* it in certain amount of copies. If they exceed the amount, usually for 2-nd edition, they give me new contract and pay again, a bit less because it means no additional work for me so I am happy to sell cheaper. The same goes for the English author of the original. This used to be not the case, but changed when our legislation got aligned with international treaties, so I believe this situation is sort of similar all over civilized world. Ever looked who is credited with the co-authorship of some of the newer Terry Pratchett´s books? His daughter or wife I believe. That means that after his death the copyright remains in the family. I do not think she actually co-wrote the books.

There are also ways of avoiding this (buying permission to print 10 billion copies or so), but almost no publishers use them and those who tried quickly changed their contracts when I objected this was against the spirit of the law, so I think they are rather shaky and would not withstand real opposition if somebody attacked them.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
it came up on facebook or the like recently.. they did change the rules saying they own what was written.. there were objections they went back to the old ones..

but the fact i was forced into making this request should make a point.. i wanted to be banned and all traces of me removed..

the ban was to stop me coming back cos i am too weak simply to read but not make the odd post.. he he

without the past removal i had to retain the right to post in self defense.. so i declined the offered ban..

again the fact i try not to post should tell its own tale..

some kind of balance has to be found between the ability of made up people to attack "real" people for fun does have to be arrived at tho..

this is one of the reasons i think sam and pipeman need some help.. it has to come down to them keeping things in line.. or them and some help... he he

trog

ps.. i even challenged the attackers to put up a poll..

trog is a trol and the place would be better without him.. tick box

trog is a good guy and an asset to the forum.. tick box

the buggers didnt take it up thow... he he he

Last edited:

rsngfrce

ECF Veteran
With real person you know who you are dealing with. The person is accountable. With an anonymous slanderer the only thing you get is the image the fake person builds. You do not who the slanderer works for, where the motivation came from... Nothing. Many forums deal with this problem by strictly banning any revealings of the virtual people´s real identities - let them hit each other with virtual sticks&stones only. This is impossible here because of the business, but, well if an anonymous avatar accuses a real person of being a criminal ......., the anonym should either reveal her own identity to stand her position with equal accountability as the accused or shut up/bugger off.

Attempting to do real-life damage from the shelter of Internet anonymity is one of the lowest actions one can do in virtual world. Period.

A real person who is here to make money off us deserves to be held to a much higher standard than an anonymous avatar. I believe our banned anonymous avatar believed that our real person was not being held accountable...

K-Sound Krew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Worcester
the ban was to stop me coming back cos i am too weak simply to read but not make the odd post.. he he

There was another member who left the forum because he was being harrassed (I forget the reason)

But I've seen him posting recently, his self imposed exile only lasted a month, guess it's just too hard to stay away

Troggs in a different boat though
His name gets dropped constantly, mostly in the negative,
The mob is out to get him no matter if he's here posting or not,
It's a loose loose situation for him

I completely see his point that he and his product need to be protected from liable defamatory statements

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
I completely see his point that he and his product need to be protected from liable defamatory statements

No. I do not think ANY product should be protected from any statements. The protection should only cover people. Otherwise this would get insane.

His product is a grossly overpriced flashlight from Dealextreme.com . It deserves to be ridiculed. That does not mean any attacks against the person are permissable.

Last edited:

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
No. I do not think ANY product should be protected from any statements. The protection should only cover people. Otherwise this would get insane.

His product is a grossly overpriced flashlight from Dealextreme.com . It deserves to be ridiculed. That does not mean any attacks against the person are permissable.

I think anyone ridiculing his "overpriced flashlight from Dealextreme.com" is just upset that he thought of it and they didn't. I think it's performance speaks for itself, and he found a niche market that is doing well. Some people obviously think it's worth it. If you don't fine... but it sounds like sour grapes to me.

PeteMcArthur

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2008
Scotland
There was another member who left the forum because he was being harrassed (I forget the reason)

But I've seen him posting recently, his self imposed exile only lasted a month, guess it's just too hard to stay away

That would be me I suppose. I stopped posting as I was getting some pretty bad emails from an anonymous "friend" I did track down this person and he has been dealt with.
It is hard to stay away, but the forum is so huge now, I find it difficult to keep up.

K-Sound Krew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Worcester

You misinterpreted my statement
If someone’s product and or customer service are bad then that's a valid argument based on fact, more importantly this is a matter for the parties involved to work out.
But you get ignorant people who feel the need to add their 2cents when they have no involvement

90% of the attacks on Trogg are unwarranted
They are usually based on his personality and most of the time I see him getting ganged up on by the followers because of some perceived rivalry

A legitimate complaint is one thing, but biased defamatory remarks have real consequences for him because he is the face for a real product.

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK

No-one ridiculed the origins and value of the device when it first hit the forums more tham me frankie.
I'm good with my hands and was an engineer for many years so making the magnum mod ( must add this was unheard of at the time) or something similar was an option. But frankly I'm glad I purchased one and i have re-couped the initial costs of the unit several fold on not having to buy 'spares'

Thing is i keep getting stung by users posting up their used gear for ridiculous can't refuse prices...scoundrels ;)

K-Sound Krew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Worcester
That would be me I suppose. I stopped posting as I was getting some pretty bad emails from an anonymous "friend" I did track down this person and he has been dealt with.
It is hard to stay away, but the forum is so huge now, I find it difficult to keep up.

Yeah I'm not a name dropper
Good to have you back!!!
:)

This place has gotten crazy in the past month, I've gotten a bunch of PM's from people who hate it here now

cosican

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
CHAPEL HILL NC

MY SD IS A GREAT SMOKE AND
Pal I LOVE IT, I WOULD HAVE PAID TWICE THE AMOUNT AND IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS THAT YOU THINK IT IS OVER PRICED. WE ARE ALL GROWNS UP HERE AND WE GET TO DO AS WE PLEASE, W/O YOUR NEGATIVE COMMENTS. DO NOT BUY IT IF IT DOES NOT APPEAL TO YOU, BUT DO NOT COMMENT ON SOMETHING UNLESS YOU HAVE TRIED IT OUT DIRECTLY AND THEN BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS AND THERE WORK THATS HOW WE DO THINGS HERE
AND NO ONE NEEDS TO BE RIDICULED, NOBODY

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK

just for interest.. K... this place has thousands of members.. most of them are what i call the silent readers.. active posters are actually a small minority..

this small minority dominate the scene.. they act as if they are the scene even...

one of them will often pop up and use the word "we" just as if he or she is speaking for the thousands of active members.. sometimes i think they really believe in this "we" stuff... its often used against me.. so is the word "us" in exactly the same way.. i am just a "me"..it takes a brave soul indeed to ever come to my aid...

i dont post for the active posters.. i post for the vast majority of silent readers.. these are the people i try and help.. these are the people i care about.. i am pretty sure i dont piss these people off ether.. he he..

these are the people all the adds are aimed at as well... these are the people that really matter.. these people would also like something interesting to come and read as well... at least thats how i see things...

trog

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
Oh God the Fanboy Brigade is on me. Ruuuuuun! :D

But I do love this one. It sort of shows the gist of what a fanboy is. ;)
IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS THAT YOU THINK IT IS OVER PRICED.

Okay, okay, don´t get overexcited. I do not own the Screwdriver sewn-off flashlight. I own a different one which is beautiful in both vapour production and looks, and cost just a fraction of the SD price. It was custom-made for me from a flashlight, too, I believe. I love it because of certain reminiscences it evokes, but that is personal and non-transferrable. I also think that a good power pack for a good price is better than a standard battery. I think selling $25 product for $150 is ridiculous even in world where there are people willing to pay to have their balls kicked by overweight ageing ladies in leather outfits.

But, still... what I think is not my business, right? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread