sometimes, vaping CAN cause poblems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

susieqz

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2018
high plains
after 4 months without tobacco, i've been real pleased because my breathing is better.
that is, until the last couple of days.
i'm huffing n puffing because i can't breathe thru my nose.
as far as i can tell, this is due to my new juice, DIS WON.
i'm allergic to something in this stuff, that isn't in my other juices.
anyone have a recipe for this?

i need to know what to avoid.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
today it's been bad...
anyways, it's possible to have a reaction of sorts to certain things...
pg is known to cause issues, try higher vg though you say this one is 70% vg... it's uncommon but some have issues with vg.... or it could be a flavor...it's really hard telling without trial and error but honestly more than likely it's just sinus/allergy

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
well, actually, thats what i think. it's allergy.
this juice is what i suspect but i could be wrong.

The PG and VG change likely isnt enough to make that much of a difference, not for an allergic reaction to occur.

Manufacturers of storebought ejuice aren't helpful with what flavorings, and what companies they buy their flavors from. The best you can do is just stop buying that flavor... if you have a reaction to more than one juice by that manufacturer, then stop using the manufacturer as a whole.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
after 4 months without tobacco, i've been real pleased because my breathing is better.
that is, until the last couple of days.
i'm huffing n puffing because i can't breathe thru my nose.
as far as i can tell, this is due to my new juice, DIS WON.
i'm allergic to something in this stuff, that isn't in my other juices.
anyone have a recipe for this?

i need to know what to avoid.
The only people who could possibly tell you is the juice manufacturers themselves. And I’m betting they won’t. The FDA may know if the stuff went through their verification process, but I doubt they’re allowed to tell you even if they could find the info.

One more reason to vape DIY. You control more. Not all, but more.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Aside from the juice issue....you might think about using one of the nasal/sinus rinse liquids out there. Helps alot, especially in the winter when you're stuffed up. Feels a little funny first time you do it but really helps the sinuses.
You mean a netti pot?

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I can be pretty bad at jumping on people reporting weird problems with vaping, and I do wonder why sometimes.
A bit of irony with it is that I had a whole raft of problems when I started vaping, I should be more sympathetic I would think.

Just relaying a few things that have happened to me with different juices and ingredients.

I cant vape PG all day, it affects me after 20-30mins vaping.
To get to the point of figuring out that it was PG that was the problem and to find a solution and an enjoyable vape I worked through everything that is involved in converting juice into vapour. Juice and its ingredients, wick and coil material, temperature and any other variable.
I can vape unflavoured vg/pg/nic for a short while and if I stop at the right time I might just feel a bit dry in the sinus's. Sometimes I feel like a flavour just for a change but I havnt really found anything that works well with just VG and DW so I mix up batches of flavours just for when I might feel like a flavour that work out to about 30pg/70vg.
What I have found is that there are some flavours that really speed up the reaction I have with pg and increase the symptoms. I can feel myself reacting within a very short time, sometimes within just a few puffs. The reaction can actually initially feel kinda "full" and good like the best part of a cigarette! right up until it starts feeling bad, and then it feels horrible

Ive also had one litre batch of VG that made me feel ill. I wasnt sure what was going on but my usual unflavoured brew made me feel ill. I thought I must have failed to sterilize everything properly so I started again from scratch and was careful to sterilize everything thoroughly. Cleaned and rewicked my atty and tried the new batch only to feel a bit ill. I noticed a slight difference in the taste compared to an older batch. I filled an atty with just the vg and another atty with some other vg. They tasted different and the bad tasting vg made me feel ill.
I dont know if the VG was out of code or if it hadnt been bottled hygienically or what was going on but I ditched it and found another supplier.

When I first started vaping and before I really started having a problem with PG I bought some pre made juice, a vanilla custard or something. It made me feel quite ill and I gave it to a work mate and told him my problem with it with the advice to just ditch it rather than vape it, he vaped it, he was too ill to come in to work the next night.
It was that experience that got me started into DIY, and then the final straw which sent me into DIY completely was developing a pg intolerance.

That turned out to be a longer post than I thought it was going to be.

Last edited:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I can be pretty bad a jumping on people reporting weird problems with vaping, and I do wonder why sometimes.
A bit of irony with it is that I had a whole raft of problems when I started vaping, I should be more sympathetic I would think.

Just relaying a few things that have happened to me with different juices and ingredients.

I cant vape PG all day, it affects me after 20-30mins vaping.
To get to the point of figuring out that it was PG that was the problem and to find a solution and an enjoyable vape I worked through everything that is involved in converting juice into vapour. Juice and its ingredients, wick and coil material, temperature and any other variable.
I can vape unflavoured vg/pg/nic for a short while and if I stop at the right time I might just feel a bit dry in the sinus's. Sometimes I feel like a flavour just for a change but I havnt really found anything that works well with just VG and DW so I mix up batches of flavours just for when I might feel like a flavour that work out to about 30pg/70vg.
What I have found is that there are some flavours that really speed up the reaction I have with pg and increase the symptoms. I can feel myself reacting within a very short time, sometimes within just a few puffs. The reaction can actually initially feel kinda "full" and good like the best part of a cigarette! right up until it starts feeling bad, and then it feels horrible

Ive also had one litre batch of VG that made me feel ill. I wasnt sure what was going on but my usual unflavoured brew made me feel ill. I thought I must have failed to sterilize everything properly so I started again from scratch and was careful to sterilize everything thoroughly. Cleaned and rewicked my atty and tried the new batch only to feel a bit ill. I noticed a slight difference in the taste compared to an older batch. I filled an atty with just the vg and another atty with some other vg. They tasted different and the bad tasting vg made me feel ill.
I dont know if the VG was out of code or if it hadnt been bottled hygienically or what was going on but I ditched it and found another supplier.

When I first started vaping and before I really started having a problem with PG I bought some pre made juice, a vanilla custard or something. It made me feel quite ill and I gave it to a work mate and told him my problem with it with the advice to just ditch it rather than vape it, he vaped it, he was too ill to come in to work the next night.
It was that experience that got me started into DIY, and then the final straw which sent me into DIY completely was developing a pg intolerance.

That turned out to be a longer post than I thought it was going to be.

@Jebbn

You mention feeling ill several times. It might be useful to some readers to know what your 'feeling ill' symptoms were.

susieqz

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2018
high plains
gopher, those nasal flush things were mentioned a few weeks back in another post.
i had one delivered yesterday n it might help.

what really helped is i stopped vaping the dis won n i'm all better.
i really wish i knew what was in it, since i'm allergic to something it contains.
i'm gonna toss it.
sigh.
it was very expensive n tasted ok.

i suppose i gotta toss the new coil too.
an expensive lesson.
my other stuff i can chain vape with no problems.

by the way, jeb, this is vanilla custard too.

Last edited:

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
Good subject. And completely hard to answer it.
We're all different and react to substances differently.
And we change over time.
I, for one, don't do well with high VG liquids. Sniffly, coughy, burning throat. Max VG is very bad.
There are juices which are high VG (70%) and which are fine. Others at the same % are really irritating.
There are some juices at 50/50 which are neutral. Others at 50/50 are irritating.
Could it be the type of VG used, or more likely the flavorings used.
It would be great if it were a cookie cutter. But, it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread