Sonic Cleaner to extend life of ecig atomizer's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salt&PePPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Bakersfield
Was just wondering if anybody else had the notion of using an Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner to extended the life of their Atomizer's. Talking about using it every night before going to bed. As the primary culprit to the diminishing performance of atomizers is crap getting stuck to the coils. I figured an Ultrasonic Cleaner might be the best bet!

Any thought's?

Last edited:

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
I think the OP was wanting to toss the atty, coils and all in the cleaner each night to reduce coil crud. I never use mine that way and would think it better just to dry burn or rebuild and rewick every couple of days. You would have to rewick every morning and disassemble at night, seems like a lot of extra work.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
The OP is not talking about RTA's, he is using factory coils from the sound of the question. I use an Ultra sonic cleaner on occasion. I had tried to clean nautilus coils in it. I find the build up of water in the coils made for a long drying time, so you wouldn't be able to just pluck your device from the cleaner and vape on. Aside from that, I found most factory type coils failed in the wicking department, not the coil itself, the ultrasound seems to have little to no effect on the wick materials cleanliness or durability.

Salt&PePPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Bakersfield
Well a little more info...

Aspire Atomizer with the new up and down configuration akin to Cartomizers. This instance it is very difficult to find anything beyond a toothpick to stick down the middle of the thing.

I use to use 90% IsoPropyl Alcohol on previous atomiters: T3's and Kanger's to very little effect. Besides I can rebuild a Kanger in a few minutes. I'm not a dripper and at the moment only have the simplest of setup's. Joyetech knockoff twist with the aspire. I've seen the sonic cleaner's go at it on the TV show "How it's Made" and figured for something as tough to crack as the new Aspire Atomier's that would be the best bet in cleaning.

Someday in the future we will Atomizer's that we won't have to worry about for six month's at a time. We have come a long way in just over three years. I mean remember when Wicks were at the top of the tank - who came up with that Idea?

But I have done a cursory look on eBay and there are a ton of $25 Sonic Cleaner's. Something just tells me that these are more than likely garbage. Buy we never know. I would rather have something that spent sometime working at a jewelry shop - professional grade. But we could be talking a lot of money with those.

One of the primary Idea's is to not let the coil's accumulate crud and depending on the juice that is being used it can all be quite variable.

Thank you for your replies.

Salt&PePPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Bakersfield
The OP is not talking about RTA's, he is using factory coils from the sound of the question. I use an Ultra sonic cleaner on occasion. I had tried to clean nautilus coils in it. I find the build up of water in the coils made for a long drying time, so you wouldn't be able to just pluck your device from the cleaner and vape on. Aside from that, I found most factory type coils failed in the wicking department, not the coil itself, the ultrasound seems to have little to no effect on the wick materials cleanliness or durability.

Thank you, I started responding while you were finishing your post.

I'm more concerned with keeping the coil clean. I don't mind any residual flavor's from wicking material or care for drying times.

There's got to be something that will work.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
At ten bucks a coil, I would start smoking again.

Go for it. Not everyone is ready to quit.
As I said Cisco coils last a long time. I have a few .HH357 coils I have used for over a year and a half and have run 100's of ml of e-liquid through them...

Reactions: bluecat

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Was just wondering if anybody else had the notion of using an Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner to extended the life of their Atomizer's. Talking about using it every night before going to bed. As the primary culprit to the diminishing performance of atomizers is crap getting stuck to the coils. I figured an Ultrasonic Cleaner might be the best bet!

Any thought's?
I am afraid you are wrong here. As I see it the main problem is a dirty/burnt wick. Sure, coil gets gunked up too, but from my experience for as long as wick stays clean (weeks for me) everyghing is fine. I use RTA, so I can see wicks any time I want (in the beginning I looked pretty often).

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
"The OP is not talking about RTA's, he is using factory coils from the sound of the question. I use an Ultra sonic cleaner on occasion. I had tried to clean nautilus coils in it. I find the build up of water in the coils made for a long drying time, so you wouldn't be able to just pluck your device from the cleaner and vape on. Aside from that, I found most factory type coils failed in the wicking department, not the coil itself, the ultrasound seems to have little to no effect on the wick materials cleanliness or durability."

Yup, I was not talking about them either. 3 years ago that is how I cleaned my carts and clearos. Little dish soap and water and maybe a 30 minute soak in coke. Rinse well. It so happens I clean my RTAs, RDAs and everything else even my mechs that way. There is no sense in over complicating things. Unless of course you want a gadget.

Vodka and Everclear are better for drinking. I tried the jewelry cleaner and then laughed at myself. It did nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread