Instead of Ice Cleaner Acid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BARENETTED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
NEW JERSEY, USA
Len - I too was thinking about using the coffee pot cleaner we use in work. However, I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing.
Ours is a blue liquid and is called 'Squeak n Clean'. The ingredients are not listed on the bottle. It just says 'non toxic'. We use glass pots and it cleans them like new. Are you cleaning metal or glass pots?

Thanks!

~Wonder

Mar 4, 2009
Sorry....don't want to look back through all the posts....but what did you get Wonder?

Lu
I got the coffee/tea dispenser cleaner stuff. The same stuff as the OP. I soaked the atomizer in the cleaner for a couple of hours. I started off with hot water. I saw some small particles of black bits but not any more than I've seen when I've cleaned an atomizer using hot vinegar. However, after rinsing and drying it out, the kevlar/fiberglass wick is noticeably whiter and the coil is clean, from the little I can see. I've only been using it for a few minutes and vapor production still seems lacking, but I'll continue to use it. It's entirely possible there is something wrong with the atomizer which is causing the low vapor production. I wish I had more gunked up atomizers to try and get some before/after pictures. The only other dirty atomizer I have has a burnt taste but still has decent vapor production. I've got a ton of this cleaner if anybody here with some nasty atomizers that have been taken apart want to give it a go. PM me and I'll see if I can get it out to you. Overall though I'd say this method works at getting an atomizer cleaner. The coil and kevlar/fiberglass wick looked pretty much brand new.

I think I know what you are talking about with this stuff. Its a blue quarter sized pill. We used to get them at a gas station I used to work at, I think they were called blue magic or something involving those words. It costs 10 bucks for about 300 of them. Maybe I can call up my old manager and find out where they order them.

bizzyb0t

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Denver CO, USA
twitter.com
I think I know what you are talking about with this stuff. Its a blue quarter sized pill. We used to get them at a gas station I used to work at, I think they were called blue magic or something involving those words. It costs 10 bucks for about 300 of them. Maybe I can call up my old manager and find out where they order them.

I'd be VERY interested in this information as well!!

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
The coffee pot cleaner sounds very similar to JoeGlo backflush detergent for espresso machines. JoeGlo doesn't contain any acids (citric, sulfamic, etc.) that would be needed for descaling a boiler since it's not used for that. I can't post the url, but the MSDS can be found easily at the joeglo-dot-com site. It might work the same and might be easier to get (from any coffee/espresso supply place).

The only difference seems to be "Ethylenediamine Tetra-acetic acid, Sodium salt" (I don't have a clue what that is) and the Non-Ionic Wetting Agent (don't know what that is either). I'm no chemist, and I have no intention of doing any experiments using unknown/untried cleaning methods. I'm just throwing this out there because I have a big bottle of the stuff on my counter (for cleaning my espresso machine, of course!):D

TT33

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
http://www.joeglo.com/JoeGloMSDS06.pdf

Looks very similar:

SODIUM PERCARBONATE = releases hydrogen-peroxide when heated in water - the oxidising action.
SODIUM CARBONATE = gives high alkalinity (pH) presumably for better cleaning.
SODIUM METASILICATE = 'water glass', possibly as a chemical 'binder' for binding to
- (& precipitating out?) the dissolved (coffee) gunk (flocculating agent).
SODIUM TRIPOLY PHOSPHATE= associated with soap-like chemicals
- an emulsifier & also a water-hardness reducer.
Ethylenediamine Tetra-acetic acid = chelating agent - wraps around metal atoms,
- keeping them dissolved. Probably to 'soak up' hard-water calcium,
- allowing more lime-scale to dissolve, than without it.
Non-Ionic Wetting Agent = detergent.

Not sure how well some of these would wash out of the atomizer metal mesh,
particlularly the metalsilicate,
even if it is effective.

A little titbit of information: oxalic acid, while a weak acid is said to be more active than acetic acid (vinegar) and has a special ability to unstick resins, such as the tannin which causes tea stains. Might be useful for those deposits with a plant extraction flavoring where resins might have got into the flavoring. Perhaps resins can survive the heat of the atomizer coil and partly be responsible for binding the deposit material in those cases where the deposit is found hard to remove. It is found in foods such as rhubarb and in the cleaner known as 'Bar Keepers Friend'.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
A little titbit of information: oxalic acid, while a weak acid is said to be more active than acetic acid (vinegar) and has a special ability to unstick resins, such as the tannin which causes tea stains. Might be useful for those deposits with a plant extraction flavoring where resins might have got into the flavoring. Perhaps resins can survive the heat of the atomizer coil and partly be responsible for binding the deposit material in those cases where the deposit is found hard to remove. It is found in foods such as rhubarb and in the cleaner known as 'Bar Keepers Friend'.

Hi Kinabaloo.....do you think 'bar keepers friend' might be worth a try then??

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Hi Pete - you mean i've found something you've not tried yet??? ;)

Might work better than vinegar or citric acid, and especially on tobacco flavored juices. But I wouldn't expect anything dramatic from it. Unless you already have some, I wouldn't buy it specially.

I will not have to buy any more 'cleaning' fluids for the rest of my life if I keep this search up for much longer........you have come up with one I haven't tried so I might as well add yet another cleaner to my cupboard.......lmao.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
The Results of the Popcorn Cleaner will be posted tomm---need to get the photos up!!!----Sun

Can you say if it was good or bad? Worthwhile?

I just tried something....just for the heck of it. Took 6 penstyle attys....all producing such reduced vapor that they were virtually useless.

#1: I put a few drops of distilled water directly on the atty....put on a mouthpiece (no filler) and sucked (no inhale). Did that about 4 times, rinsed it out, blew it out, set it up to dry.

#2: Did same thing using lemon juice

#3: Did same thing using pure unfiltered apple cider vinegar (just some I had sitting around here)

#4: Did the same thing using white distilled vinegar

#5: Did the same thing using the 99% rubbing alcohol I was using to clean them in the past (I was real careful not to inhale any of this though)

And here was the kicker with this one....the vapor started increasing. I didn't rinse this one.....just set it up to dry.

#6: Tried the alcohol again but this time was going to rinse it like the others....but it started vaping so well, I ended up using it!

So just for the heck of it, I dripped one drop of the alcohol on one of my dying pipe attys and the thing fired right up....lots of vapor. I think S-Pete has something going with the vodka working for him that way. I didn't have any in the house and I didn't want to continue vaping the rubbing alcohol so I stopped using it but do plan on picking up some vodka asap.

CAUTION: All this was done using my Janty KB with the sealed off manual switch. I would never recommend using a regular batt as the liquid runs all over the place and will most likely kill any unprotected batt.

Most likely none of this thoroughly cleaned the attys....just made them reusable for a while longer. I wanted to do a thorough cleaning with the ice machine cleaner again but I had mixed results the last time....2 worked great....2 didn't really work much better.....and the other 4 were pipe attys which I haven't had to change yet but will be trying them soon.

I am also waiting on Sun's report to see if that's another procedure to pursue or not.

So I'm going to see how they all fare tomorrow when they are dry. Will update later.

Lu

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Lu - is that 'rubbing alcohol' isopropyl alcohol or methanol ('denatured alcohol')?

Neither would be good to inhale; the methanol in particular would be toxic.

Unfortunately Vodka is only 40% ethanol by volume, but better than nothing. In the US it is possible to get less diluted ethanol.

"Isopropyl alcohol is more potent than ethanol as a CNS depressant, and its metabolite, acetone, is a CNS depressant in its own right. Around 15g of isopropanol can have a toxic affect on a 70kg human if left untreated, however it is not nearly as toxic as methanol or ethylene glycol" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread