Status
Not open for further replies.

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
I'm curious, What batteries are VTC5s Counterfeit, are they rewrapped ultrafire, trustfire etc. or just purely imitation?
Generally LG HE2s though they can be any crap. At least with the HE2s or Samsung R25s you get batteries that are superior to the Sonys but often they will be complete crap.

Mikey6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2013
Bakersfield, CA, USA
What about the mxjo line? High max drain
Wrapped LGs. 20 amp continuous, 35 pulse. But not ridiculously priced. I have a pair in my hexohm v2 and they work pretty good. 0.3 ohms at somewhere around 4.5 volts and last all day long (14 hours, 7 mls) and voltage reads at 3.6 when I pop them on the charger at night. Xtars are vtc4s rebranded and pretty solid too.

Generally LG HE2s though they can be any crap. At least with the HE2s or Samsung R25s you get batteries that are superior to the Sonys but often they will be complete crap.

If you think the HE2s and R25s are better than the VTC series, then you need to go actually look at the discharge charts for them.

At any given point throughout the discharge cycle (full to at the point just before you start risking cell damage by overdischarge) the VTC batteries show a higher voltage at 1C and less sag at higher amp draws. Additionally the useable capacity for all of them is from rating at 1C draw. At higher amp draw and stopping once a test draw at 0.2a is below 3.2v the usable capacity is just over 2000mAh for the VTC4, 2500mAh for the VTC5, 2200mAh for the HE2, and about 2350mAh for the R25.

Also since the VTC family has less sag, for a given requested wattage in a regulated device it will draw slightly less amps from the battery and so actually use its capacity slightly slower. If the VTC5 is the baseline for sag, the VTC4 has about 90% (meaning better) while the R25 has about 150% and the HE2 has about 160% at higher amp draws (20~30 amps). At moderate amp draw (10~20 amps) the numbers tighten up some (~10% less or so) for the R25 and HE2.

Of the 18650 batteries, the VTC series are comparatively better than any other.

Battery capacity, drain test, max output for safety on sub builds
Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Capacity is relative since it is calculated at a very low amp draw. Batteries with less sag will use less capacity to fufill a given wattage requirement and can actually last longer than batteries with a higher capacity depending on how hard you run them. Also lots of batteries (and it gets worse as you go higher in capacity) actually hit a point where you are over discharging the battery (and damaging its max lifetime) before you actually discharge total mAh equal to its rated capacity.

IE for our usage for anything beyond 8~10w draw the capacity is worthless for comparing batteries other than those of the same family (for example VTC3 to VTC4 to VTC5). And even at 8~10w draw the battery with less voltage sag will get more use for a given mAh capacity.

Last edited:

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Also for you infinity..

Wrapped LGs. 20 amp continuous, 35 pulse. But not ridiculously priced. I have a pair in my hexohm v2 and they work pretty good. 0.3 ohms at somewhere around 4.5 volts and last all day long (14 hours, 7 mls) and voltage reads at 3.6 when I pop them on the charger at night. Xtars are vtc4s rebranded and pretty solid too.

Im trying to get a good pair of 350 batteries to jse in a stwalth mod (one at a time) I wipp be using 1.5 to 2.4 ohm coils for battery life so im guessing I shpuld fimd a make with higher than 700mAH? Dont really need the high amps for that so any recommendations?

Ive only found on site with tests are there some other resources I shpuld be checking? Cheers all

Last edited:
h00ligan, the electronics modding community often has extensive writeups on batteries if that is what you are looking for.

I do not have much personnel experience with 18350s since none of my toys (not just vape gear) use them. However if you can find batteries with higher amp ratings and low voltage sag those will serve you better than an extra hundred mAh. Also anything in 18350 that is above about 800mAh is ether lying or not a safe chem battery so you don't want it.

I can't remember the name of the company right now (Japanese, starts with a T) that Efest rewraps for their 700mAh 10.5A 18350s, but they are good batteries and actually are rated at 10.5A. If someone else can remember the name of the company I would recommend buying from them instead of a rewrap.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Best 18350 I've found is the AW 18350 from RTD Vapor It's 800mAh and 12 amps continuous (which is the highest I've seen)

AW is considered one of the better brands out there. I've been using the previous version to this one and they are still going strong after a year (roughly 100+ charge cycles) with no noticeable dip in performance or run time.

RTD is also a good supplier and only sells genuine batteries, not rewraps or fakes.

Last edited:

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
I was wondering what happened to Sony VTC's. A lot of shops in Florida (well, a lot of shops around where I live that actually sold verifiably authentic ones, anyways) have stopped carrying them. I was told that Sony stopped shipping them out because they didn't like what the batteries were being used for. But I guess that was wrong?

Good to read they may be coming back, though.

I heard the same thing but theres so much mist shrouding the whole sony mystery. That's good to hear that the VTC5's will be coming back. I have 5, got a couple on ebay, and I've subohmed them down to 0.3 and they do fine. Couple are around 6 months old, but still doing great. I rotate my batteries in no particular order and don't really notice a ton of difference between them. It's hard to do an empirical test of battery life when your just going about your day vaping normally. I'd have to time the draws and count them. I guess it would be easier to gauge on a regulated mod to be checking the battery life than a mech. Taste is all so subjective

Best 18350 I've found is the AW 18350 from RTD Vapor It's 800mAh and 12 amps continuous (which is the highest I've seen)...

Are those new? The only ones I knew from them were their older 6A batteries.

AW are rewraps since AW buys cells from other companies. However they test every cell extensively to ensure that it will perform to their listed specs and do not use any that fall short. So I actually trust them unlike the other rewrap companies which often flat out lie about the specs.

Since they are AW, that means they will perform to the listed specs. I'm guessing the cells are a newer design made by the same Japanese company that makes the cells for the Efest purple 18350 (those are 15C as well, but 700mAh instead of 800mAh which results in the lower amp rating). Wish I could remember that company name since they seem to be focused on smaller high performance batteries.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Are those new? The only ones I knew from them were their older 6A batteries.

AW are rewraps since AW buys cells from other companies. However they test every cell extensively to ensure that it will perform to their listed specs and do not use any that fall short. So I actually trust them unlike the other rewrap companies which often flat out lie about the specs.

Newish, they've been around for about 6 months now. I have one but the others are going so well it's in reserve right now and I've only used it maybe less than 10 cycles. That AW 18490 18 amp and 18650 20 amp were all released around the same time. They all have that black stripe on the bottom to differentiate with the other AW batteries they have on the market.

And of course, you are right about AW testing and rewrapping and not manufacturing any of their own batteries. My reference to fakes and the integrity of the RTD vapor website was simply because there are fakes and rewraps of other batteries being sold as AW batteries on ebay.

It's like wheels within wheels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread