Sony VTC4 Pitting? ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kashief

Mar 30, 2014
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Hi. I purchased these months ago but after about a week of use, I found they made my Maraxus uncomfortably hot. So naturally I stopped vaping and pulled the battery out. The battery was hot and I immediately stopped use. Upon further investigation, they appear to be pitting on the bottom.

I was looking through my dresser drawer for something and came across them again. They haven't exploded or vented or anything and out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone knew if these would still be safe to use? In my Vamos if nothing else? They do still work.

Here are some pics... uploadfromtaptalk1408402187348.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1408402241073.jpg

DrBeaker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
Lab City USA
www.mothersmilkwta.com
Those vtc5 batterys are the best 18650 imo you can get right now. I wont use anything but those in my mods! They can get warm while charging and heavy use. That pitting looks to me like where a spring may have been contacting under load and got hot. If you dont have enough surface area making contact with the battery it is going to get hot at that contact point.
thats a 30A battery. Lots of power for its size
anybody know of a better battery? I would like to know?

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Yeah those batts should be good if they were old then I would not use them again but since you say they are basically brand new they should be better than ok but great. There's an obvious problem with your mechs spring and those batts which are the shortest batts available. They are only 64mm where most all other batts excluding AW(65mm) are 66mm unprotected -protected up to 73mm..

There are knockoff sonys on the market too and that may also be an issue.
If not sure best to toss them but if they are sony's they can take extremely low currents and be fine
if they charge and hold that charge they are fine... You may have lost a few hours charge on them if any..

tumblr_n8fk2mY9dk1qc8949o1_1280.jpg

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Hi. I purchased these months ago but after about a week of use, I found they made my Maraxus uncomfortably hot. So naturally I stopped vaping and pulled the battery out. The battery was hot and I immediately stopped use. Upon further investigation, they appear to be pitting on the bottom.

I was looking through my dresser drawer for something and came across them again. They haven't exploded or vented or anything and out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone knew if these would still be safe to use? In my Vamos if nothing else? They do still work.

Here are some pics... View attachment 366033 View attachment 366034
It looks to me that you have a short or coils with extremely low resistance. That's how they would look if something was shorted as well as explain the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread