Sony VTC5's battery life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought 2 sony VTC5's. Great batteries. I'm not having problems with them at all. My question is; how long should I keep them. I seen a video by amerivapes saying you should replace your batteries every 60 days. Is this true. Would it be unsafe to keep them longer? I run a kayfun clone at 1.3 ohms with one and a Valkyrie at .5 ohms with the other. I keep each battery dedicated to each devise. I use my kayfun clone primarily.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
I have batteries that are 5 years old still going strong they do have a number of cycles they can go through that's fairly much predetermined, but not set in stone. I toss a battery when its giving me 25% its duty cycle as its low on the downhill swing at that point. so lets say your getting 12 hours from a charge you vape the same amount and notice your only getting a quarter(3hours) that time. then its time to think about replacements. You can certainly use your batteries down to 10% duty cycle, but the time on the charger as apposed to run time isn't worth it IMO.

There is a way to store your batteries that keeps them fresh and that's to charge them only half way before storage. FULL charge can actually damage the battery during long storage times. Lithium batteries do not like cold weather, so they should be stored room temp. Lithium's have diminished performance in cold conditions.

Last edited:

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Should get a couple years at the minimum, before needing replacing. All depends on how hard you stress them. If consistently pushing them to their max amp output, and over draining them, then yeah, may need to replace every couple months or so, but if the lowest you are going is 0.5 ohms, and you don't drain them below 3.5 volts very often, then you should get 2 years at least.

Once the ability to take a charge, and the voltage starts to drop off faster, then is the time to think about replacements.

I rotate through quite a few batts, since I have multiple mods and rba's. The ohms of my build will often determine which mod and batt I will use. When I dip below 0.3 ohms, I'll use the 50 amp 26650 batts. & mods. I like to have a batt for every mod and a minimum of one extra batt for every mod.

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
Dice I do the same brother I also date my batteries and put a dot on them after each charge with a sharpie helps track how long there lasting and number of charge cycles. I have a lot of flashlights as well so I have amassed 200+ batteries for them and my vape gear I rotate through the batteries I have for both vaping and lights. Its simple to take care of and maintain good batteries. it can be work but IMO well worth it, when you need a battery to work you need it to work period.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I toss a battery when its giving me 25% its duty cycle as its low on the downhill swing at that point. so lets say your getting 12 hours from a charge you vape the same amount and notice your only getting a quarter(3hours) that time. then its time to think about replacements. You can certainly use your batteries down to 10% duty cycle, but the time on the charger as apposed to run time isn't worth it IMO.

IMO there is nothing wrong with your process epicdoom as long as you're not pushing the battery too close to its amp limit. As the cells age and mAh drops internal resistance is also going up. I believe that reduces their ability to move a lot of current without heating up.

I got a couple hundred charge cycles out of a pair of MNKE through about a year and a half of vaping them. I was not noticing less run time but I check voltage drop with load occasionally and that was going up. On the same 0.5 ohm atty and with a fresh charge I got 3.8V when they were new. I retired them when they got down to 3.3V if I remember correctly.

That's still a far cry from replacing every 60 days, but going to the other extreme I wouldn't want to vape cells that were approaching 10% of their original mAh on 0.5 ohm coils.

Just wanted to toss this out there. This is just my opinion and it works for me however your mileage will vary as always :)

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
IMO there is nothing wrong with your process epicdoom as long as you're not pushing the battery too close to its amp limit. As the cells age and mAh drops internal resistance is also going up. I believe that reduces their ability to move a lot of current without heating up.

Agree I don't personally go to 10% but many folks do when out in the bush you use all you can. So I understand that reasoning. My vaping batteries get moved to flashlights when 50% diminished, but Id have no problem using them to 75% in regulated gear. I put batteries down at 75%. there just not of any use for my needs past that point

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
I don't mark them unless using them in paired box format, then will label them A1, A2 & B1, B2.

Otherwise I just always rotate out from my battery boxes, front man gets thrown in the mod, and we all roll over, batt off the charger goes in back.

Heck, have like 3 26650 mods & 4 18650 mods, plus a few box like mods on the way and in production. So just use this simple rotation. My chargers all have volt meters on them so that helps with monitoring the batts health. Heck, if a batt becomes unhealthy or is overcharged, the Xstar VP1 won't even register it's presence.

I like things safe and simple, easily remembered. Works for me. Way I look at it, don't sweat it if one gets out of rotation, in the long run, it all comes out in the wash. ain't gonna effect that batts life story and all. Heck, a batts life expectancy is threatened more by superior and safer chemistry batts coming out then their real life expectancy.

Vape long and Prosper.!!!

Johan1

May 15, 2014
Texas
I recently bought 2 sony VTC5's. Great batteries. I'm not having problems with them at all. My question is; how long should I keep them. I seen a video by amerivapes saying you should replace your batteries every 60 days. Is this true. Would it be unsafe to keep them longer? I run a kayfun clone at 1.3 ohms with one and a Valkyrie at .5 ohms with the other. I keep each battery dedicated to each devise. I use my kayfun clone primarily.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Ammerivape probably just said that so people can keep buying batteries

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
My only 26650 Mod is a copper Hades. I have 3 batteries for that mod. I'm hoping to get one of the Beast mods I guess it will depend on how many get built and how many are on the waiting list ahead of me. Until then I'm looking for a Gi2. I bought a DNA30 chip for a duel 18650 build may end up doing 26650. I have about 300 lbs of aluminum in ingots so Ill be casting a box then machining it smooth, steel pins inserted so I can use a magnetic slide off hatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread