Soooo confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneDayIllQuit

Mar 23, 2012
Kent UK
Hi everyone.

I'm new to vaping, wanting to cut down on my ciggies. Bought a cheap look-alike to try and found that I could use an e cig to cut out half of my daily cigs. I now want to go further. Whenever I'm thinking of buying something, I always do masses of research. This helps me understand the options and narrow down my choices until I make my decision. Until, that is, I started looking into this e-cig maze.

Over the last 24 hours I've almost bought a 510t, then wavered and considered (in quick succession) a Riva 1100, an eGo T, an eGo C, and and ..... carts or tanks, tanks or carts :confused:

What is it about this subject that has me getting more confused rather than less?

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Gerbil

Feb 9, 2012
New Mexico
With so many options out there, its pretty normal to be confused. The eGo was a nice starter PV for myself, but I fount that the eGo-t atomizers were more of a pain to maintain and get consistently good flavor and hit out of. I switched to a drip atomizer on the eGo battery, and was happier, but got annoyed with having to worry about having the bottle always handy. Hated cartomizers because it seemed like unless I dripped almost as often as I was with a drip atomizer, I'd get the nasty carto burning taste. Found a nice compromise with the DCT tank on the same eGo battery, just at the tradeoff of having a larger sized device. One thing I will defintely recommend is getting something with a manual button and sealed battery. Shorting out automatic batteries is no fun, and expensive.

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
That's because it is confusing. Don't worry, we're all there.

I'll sound like a broken record again: how much do you smoke and what? What did you like about your first PV? What didn't you like and why do you want to upgrade? What kind of slim you have: three-piece (atty-cart) or two-piece (cartos)?

It sounds like you want a bigger PV with a little more power, but you're not sure if you want to go for cartomizers or the tank-atty setup. Going for an "Ego-style" like Riva 1100 is a good step up. I will urge you to consider the KGO or the E-Power if you stick with this form factor. These are very good, tried and tested devices. We can talk more about them if you stay interested. They provide a little higher and more constant voltage, and they work really well.

There are a lot of people here who like the tank-atty setup, but the catch is once you get your Ego-style you can use pretty much anything that's out there for the "510 thread connection". Therefore, you don't have to make a choice for either, you will be able to use both. You don't have to get an Ego-C (inferior battery) - when you can get a KGO/E-Power and then get the "Ego-C" just the tank-atty and use it on them!

My take is that although some start up with a tank-atty setup like "Ego-C", cartomizers are more likely to give you less hassle, less maintenance, more consistent results. That could be better to start with, and then experiment, rather than start with something that might leak, or provide insufficient throat hit, or give other issues.

Anyway, when we'll know more of what you expect from your next PV, we may consider other options as well.

For now, my personal experience says: KGO + Boge LR cartomizers = win. Then, you'll be able to play with low resistance atomizers, tank-atty, carto-tanks, clearomizers, Stardusts and many others on the KGO / E-Power battery.

Mythus2012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
San Diego, CA
Oh I assure you, your head will continue to spin for a while. I've been at this for a couple months and have bearly scratched the surface. Don't let that discourage you. This world is mostly about trial and error. You'll get some good advice and tricks of the trade but its so personal and the experience so unique you're going to have to figure out what works for you.

Personally I knew that the "cig look-a-like" starters weren't going to be enough for me so started with an E-go-T. Which I love and within 4 weeks went to a VV but still use most of my Ego parts and keep it around for a back up (so money wasn't wasted). But my sister started with a cig look a like and she loves it. So no telling...

Ladypixel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
La Verne, CA
I will strongly advise the Riva that others have mentioned. It is the same size batteries as is used on the ego, the kgo, etc, but the Riva batteries are a true 3.7 volt battery, where the ego batteries are more around a 3.4 volt battery. The Rivas also have a more comfortable button. Similarly, the kgo is a great option.

Anything that has a 510 threading can be used on those batteries. That means that you can, over time, try multiple options: cartomizers, cartridge/atomizer combinations, punched cartomizers with an external tank that slides overtop, the ego-T tank and atomizer system, etcetera. There are a WHOLE lot of options out there.

I liked the ego-T at first, but the atomizers tend to get gunked up rather quickly, and so I began to search for other options that didn't require me to have a whole lot of extra atomizers so I could clean them constantly. That search led me to cartomizers, and I like cartomizers, but I discovered that I prefer cartomizers that have a hole punched in the side so they can be used with the external cartomizer tanks. I also REALLY like clearomizers, as it's the ego-T tanks without the frustration of degunking atomizers and a lot less leak potential.

So I keep a bunch of small clearomizers around so I can have a bunch of different flavors ready to vape at a moment's notice. I keep larger clearomizers around for flavors I vape often, but not often enough to devote a cartomizer tank to. And I have cartomizer tanks for the flavors that I go through large quantities of.

These all work on my Riva and ego batteries just fine. I also have some variable voltage mods, and I use the carto tanks on those as well.

That's my personal experience there, and everyone's tastes are slightly different. You may find you like the same sort of things I do. You may find differently. But no matter what you choose, I can tell you this: if you get a Riva/kgo/ego-sized battery (no matter the mah -- although I advise 900's at a minimum), you'll use those batteries for a long time, no matter what type of setup you have mounted on them. And frankly, the cheapest way to start is to buy a starter kit for that sort of system.

To give you an actual size comparison, the ego/Riva/kgo type 900-mah batteries are about the same diameter as a Sharpie marker and, depending on what you put on top of them, will (on average) end up being about the same length as a Sharpie, too. So they're a little wider than an analog cigarette, but not uncomfortably so... and the length of the battery life is a lot better than the cigarette-sized models that are out there.

Best of luck!

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
I will second the advice given about going with something that is 510 threaded so you can have a plethora of options. I myself started on a corner store ecig and then found ecw and my head began spinning. I found a local ejuice vendor and started there with refilling my corner store carts until i bought a 510-t from him which i still use... yet the next week i bought an ego-c, ego-w, and an elips f6 all in one swoop.

i vape all vg juice so tanks didnt wick eight for me until i learned that i needed to distilled water down some juices... which then led to me beginning diy juices.

this is all suppoed to save me money? lol. well it still has... but im done spending till at least may.... i think.

go with a variable voltage setup though and stick to 510 threading. thats the one thing im missing. you will find some juices taste different at different voltages. my local ejuice guy swears by five volts for all vg juice.

Ewunia

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
Australia
I started vaping 3 months ago, I use V2 automatic batteries and pre-filled cartridges. The V2 batteries are KR808D, this is just one of the standards for 2 part system. I'm happy with my choice. V2 offers lifetime warranty on hardware. The only drawback for me is expensive shipping (I'm in Australia). I know that there is plenty more suppliers and plenty more standards for harware, but so far I'm not tempted.

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA
Bet you're not any less confused now! LOL

Stick another toe in the water...the odds are you will go through a couple of things before you land on something that you stay with a long time. You've done enough research that you won't do anything far wrong. I can't imagine analogs are less epensive in the UK than here, so at a pack a day (just a guess), you have to be spending the equivalent of US $50 a week or better. With that money you can afford to experiment a bit.

OneDayIllQuit

Mar 23, 2012
Kent UK
Wow, thany you all for your advice, and more importantly, your welcome and willingness to help.

I don't think I started this with the intention of quitting cigs, but things change. I started on a £6 ecig with the idea of using it in amongst my cigs to cut down the number, and therefore cost, of smoking (I smoked 15-20 Marlboro a day). I got on ok with it, and almost immediately had cut cigs by 30-50%. I looked around for something 'better' than the cheapie, and came across Skycig (Blu in the US). I bought a starter kit for the ease of use, the variety of flavours, and the fact that I read some good reviews. Now, I have since found this forum and I know that the Skycig has some terrible reviews. I'm still very early into the 30 day period where a refund is possible and haven't made my mind up yet. I'm going to try re-filling the carts and see how that goes. I still like the idea of a look-alike for use in public and the smoking shelter at work!

Having found the forum and continued to research - and with the great advice from you guys - I have now decided on the Riva 1100 Deluxe Kit from VapeEscape.co.uk (with the atties swapped for Boge cartos) and have added five trial juices from the Grizwald pick'n'mix. The current plan is to use the Skycig at work and the Riva at home when it arrives (hopefully on Monday).

I'm already down to 3-5 cigs a day, so watch this space!

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    The bottom line is you won't know what you like until you try it. But rest assured, you will like something different next month. There is no law that says you must like what I like.
    A good place to start is to get an eGo type starter kit, and there are many to choose from. Some like the pulse regulated 3.4v eGo, others like the unregulated 3.7v Riva/Kgo batteries. That is just personal choice. It's the eGo type platform that is really being suggested, not any specific brand, because of the versatility. Once you have the starter kit, you are free to try any or all of the many cartos and atties that are available that fit on those batteries.
    Once you have some idea of what you like, then you can go looking for something bigger and badder if you like.

What I don't suggest is going out and buying some $200+ mod before you at least learn how to fill a carto or use an atty.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread