RDA spaced wraps vs contact wraps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see threads all around this topic but none seem to answer this question directly. Watching Youtube build videos, I often see the builder "pinching" the wraps together while firing but sometimes they don't. Is this done to affect the resistance of the coil or to eliminate hot spots or what?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
Hi Jim, squeezing coils generally eliminates hot spots. If you are new at wrapping coils may I suggest a Coil Master. You really don't need to do anything except wrap, then slide the tool in and out of the coil a couple time to have a perfect coil heating from the inside outward.

And welcome aboard...:toast:

Here, check out Super X's video

Last edited:

eddiea

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2014
Laguna Niguel, CA USA
I see threads all around this topic but none seem to answer this question directly. Watching Youtube build videos, I often see the builder "pinching" the wraps together while firing but sometimes they don't. Is this done to affect the resistance of the coil or to eliminate hot spots or what?
There are plenty of posts in various threads here on ECF regarding this topic but primarily yes compressed/contact coils will help eliminate hotspots. Other than that, either method is really just a matter of personal preference. You will find different opinions but for me compressed coils offer better flavor, so just experiment with it to determine which method is best for you.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
It's done to overall affect the vape. It's simply two different methods in wrapping a coil. Either way requires adjusting to eliminate hot leads and make the coils heat evenly and consistently. Both methods require a little adjusting.

Jake287

Aug 20, 2015
Pennsylvania
Spacing the wraps reduces "ramp up" time as well. It's really efficient for mech mods. If done properly all of the wraps heat up at once instead of glowing from the inside out. That way, you're not holding in the firing button waiting for the coil to heat up. I like using this method with heavier gauge wire.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Spacing the wraps reduces "ramp up" time as well. It's really efficient for mech mods. If done properly all of the wraps heat up at once instead of glowing from the inside out. That way, you're not holding in the firing button waiting for the coil to heat up. I like using this method with heavier gauge wire.
Plus they gunk less and absorb juice very quickly...

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I prefer the taste I get with kanthal coils when they are contact instead of spaced. Lately I'm doing temp control where apparently nickel wire has to be spaced to avoid hot legs. I'm just trying titanium wire for temp control hoping to improve battery efficiency with higher ohm coils than is practical with nickel. I read that titanium would tolerate contact coils but my first try was a failure. (Titanium spaced coils from .75 - .90 ohms do seem to be giving me a noticable improvement in battery efficiency compared to nickel but may be not quite as good as kanthal.)

Reactions: Jim Gary

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
I prefer contact coils. For me they produce better flavor in my builds. I don't like those coil things. I use micro screw drivers so that I can shift the coils left and right and make bends in them easier with the micro screw driver handle. It's all preference though. My friend uses a coil master thingy and it just seems like more work to me.

Reactions: Jim Gary
I got set a of Kuros in a Coilmaster tool kit - which makes me think the "Kuros" are not Kuros nor the "Coilmaster" kit a Coilmaster. I've been using them but I'm ready for some more complicated builds so I guess I'm going to have to go back and practice the old-fashioned way. My attempt at a parallel coil using them didn't work out so well (i.e. not at all) so I guess I'll go get a set of small drill bits and some more wire!

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I do contacts as for me it's easier to get what I want when wicking with cotton. If I use mesh, silica, etc. I go spaced since I can dry burn to get the hot spots out.

Like they've said above, it's two sides of the same coin. Just build what you like, simple or fancy doesn't matter. If you can build a killer simple coil, you will enjoy it so much more than a poorly made twisted, clapton, parallel, or some other complicated build.

Reactions: jmercury1

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
Way back when, contact coils were a way to extract flavor from your juice, especially when using high VG juices. This is what contact coils were devised for.

Huge
clouds were just becoming popular so VG>>PG juice became more prevalent, but folks still wanted to extract the best taste from the juice. Higher coil temp, once heated to stasis with the VG, was a way to extract the flavor.

Keep in mind that not long ago if you went sub-ohm, you were a daredevil, and below 0.5 ohm, a flippin' lunatic. So to get higher heat from the coil without throwing current at it, contact coils were a tool. Still are, if you're above ~1 ohm. And you don't mind the spin up time.

Now, people are finding that contact coils simply work better with other more exotic set ups, and use them for reasons other than just raising coil temp.

Personally, when hurling current, I spread those babies out, use the surface area to advantage, and try to get the best of both worlds. IMHO.

And what papergoblin says is Word. Too many people try to play with esoterica before they grasp enough of the fundamentals to consistently build a good, simple coil and working wick.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
It's funny, I was doing a lot of research on this myself today. Contact coils vs spaced. What I found is, it's seems split right down the middle. When I first started rebuilding I used spaced, then made the switch to contact. After spending the day looking into popular opinion, I decided to stick with contact. Not because I think it's necessarily better, but I'm happy with it, and it works for me. Find what makes you happy, and there you have it!

Reactions: jmercury1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread