SS Coil Build For Sub Ohm in TC Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Some time this month I may attempt my first single-coil build to use solely in TC mode. But I don't know how to start apply Ohm's Law to a coil build used for TC mode. I don't even know which gauge wire to choose.
I use temp control exclusively. My set up is in the signiture area below. I do mouth to lung, not looking for big clouds. I care about nic, throat hit, and texture. 28 guage is the place to start. You can use an onllne calculator to figure out how to wrap the coil to get to the resistance you want. Coil wrapping I build 1.3-1.4 ohm single coils. The max resistance allowed by most TC mods is 1.5 ohm. Resistance (ohm value) go down if you are using multiple coils otherwise I believe higher ohms turns watts into heat more efficiently.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well just thought I'd update this thread. My first coil build was a failure. The coil itself seemed to come out ok but I got burnt cotton taste every time. Can't post any pictures now because I'm at work.

Maybe it wasn't so much the Coil but a Problem with the Wicking?

Happy Holidays.

sant_smiley-gif.623435

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Maybe it wasn't so much the Coil but a Problem with the Wicking?

Happy Holidays.

sant_smiley-gif.623435

Now that I think about it, the coil wasn't glowing evenly. In fact, the only part that glowed was one of the ends that was connected to the one of the post holes.

I put enough cotton through the coil where it slid through easily but not too easily. I put a generous amount of juice on it but I still got the burnt taste. When I pulled the old cotton out, the middle part that was in the coil wasn't nearly as saturated with juice as the rest of the cotton. What if I put the juice on the middle part of the cotton before I actually put it through the coil? Do you think that would help?

One more hour of work, then I can go home and try again!

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Now that I think about it, the coil wasn't glowing evenly. In fact, the only part that glowed was one of the ends that was connected to the one of the post holes. One more hour of work, then I can go home and try again!

That sounds like a Classic "Hot Legs". And not the Good Kind. ;)

Make sure you coils Screws are Snug. But Not so Tight that they might Sever the Coil Wire. And "Pring-ing" the Coil with the Tip of a Small Blue Screwdriver can Help.

You'll get it. Just takes a Few Tries sometimes.

sant_smiley-gif.623435

Reactions: Eskie

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
What's pringing?

I was screwing those screws pretty tightly. I'll try to ease up on that next time.

Before you put the Cotton in, and when you check (Dry Burning) the Coil to see if it is Heating Evenly from the Center of the Coil outward, if it Isn't, sometimes it Helps to Strum the Coil with the tip of Something Small like the Tip of a Blue Screwdriver.

When you strum the Coil, it will go "Pring". So some people call it "Pring-ing" the Coil.

BTW - Always use Low Wattage like 10 Watts or so when you Dry Burn a Coil.

sant_smiley-gif.623435

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Perhaps this coil building business isn't for me :( My Ohm meter read the coil around .5 and the mod did too. Then I added the wick which made the ohm reading fluctuate wildly. Now my mod won't even register that there's a coil attached to it. The mod is a Halo Reactor Mega 80.

Edit: Now the mod is reading the coil at .7 but the temperature protection comes on all the time.

Edit 2: Mod is now showing "atomizer short" while the Ohm meter reads the coil at .15. I put my old tank back on with a premade coil that was vaping just fine earlier today and the mod shows "no atomizer". Perhaps I need a new mod?

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Something is very Funky on this Fine Christmas Mourning.

OK... Let's start from Scratch.

You are using a Halo Reactor Mega 80 with a Merlin RTA. Right?

Is the Mod right now in TC Mod or is it in VW Mode? If it is in TC, what happens when you put the Mod in VW Mode? Do you still get the "No Atomizer" error? If not, are the Ohms reading what your Ohm Reader said they should be?

sant_smiley-gif.623435

Last edited:

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Something is very Funky on this Fine Christmas Mourning.

OK... Let's start from Scratch.

You are using a Halo Reactor Mega 80 with a Merlin RTA. Right?

Is the Mod right now in TC Mod or is it in VW Mode? If it is in TC, what happens when you put the Mod in VW Mode? Do you still get the "No Atomizer" error? If not, are the Ohms reading what your Ohm Reader said they should be?

sant_smiley-gif.623435

Hi zoiDman. Thanks for the reply. I'll see what happens when I put the mod in VW mode with the coil I made. I'll also try to upload a picture.

Right now the mod is back to TC mode and set for Ni200 coils. It's reading the premade coil but a couple times it was unable to read it.

JeffreyD

Mar 18, 2016
Tucson, AZ
So I'm not a regular poster but I been into TC using SS316 wire ever since I got my first DNA 200 and I'll never go back to kanthal.
I do my coils just like kanthal.
My typical build is a dual coil using two 26g twisted together until the wire breaks from the drill. My preference is 2.5m rod to wrap on because it seems to fit and function well in my various rda/rdta/rta'.
Once mounted and everything's tightened I glow them, strum them, compress and tweak them until they glow nice and even.
Then I wick them. If you get a dry/burnt hit you need to rewick, happens sometimes. Once you figure out what your specific tank/RDA "wants" then you can replicate that for next time.
My builds I usually aim for .1-.2 for a dual and .3-.5 for a single.
When I first started with SS I found some people saying don't glow them, and some saying to glow them. But logic would dictate that to make sure they're going to work ok you have to glow them.
Tried Ni200, didn't hit or work like i wanted it to.
Ive been doing this build for about 9 months now and loving it. Even on my older mods that don't have TC just VW they work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'll reply back in a few days. I'm not going to take any more risks with my Halo Reactor mod because it's the only one I have :( I ordered an Eleaf iPower. When that comes in the mail, I'll give this coil wrapping business another try.

Always a Good Idea to have a Backup.

Let us know when you give things Another Try. Or if you get Stuck on something.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
So I'm not a regular poster but I been into TC using SS316 wire ever since I got my first DNA 200 and I'll never go back to kanthal.
I do my coils just like kanthal.
My typical build is a dual coil using two 26g twisted together until the wire breaks from the drill. My preference is 2.5m rod to wrap on because it seems to fit and function well in my various rda/rdta/rta'.
Once mounted and everything's tightened I glow them, strum them, compress and tweak them until they glow nice and even.
Then I wick them. If you get a dry/burnt hit you need to rewick, happens sometimes. ..............
if u are using ss in tc mode u should never get a dry/burnt hit IME, but I use rayon which might make a difference. I get way more life out of rayon since switching from cotton. I re-wick about once a month for my 5 mods in heavy rotation, which is about 100 - 150 ml per rta/rda/rdta. The RTA (boreas and billow v3+) I run in VW mode currently and never get dry hits. If I ever run out of pre-built coils or spools of kanthal I will start using SS in TC mode in my RTA again but since I hate wasting money/goods I am using those items up in the tanks that are less likely to run dry versus the rda/rdta.

Always a Good Idea to have a Backup.

or 10 or 20......

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Hi zoiDman. Thanks for the reply. I'll see what happens when I put the mod in VW mode with the coil I made. I'll also try to upload a picture.

Right now the mod is back to TC mode and set for Ni200 coils. It's reading the premade coil but a couple times it was unable to read it.

Ni200 mode is for nickel coils. If you're using stainless steel you need to set the mod to ss (or vw) mode.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread