Stabwood Mods - a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
I hope I am posting this in the correct place.

Up til this year I have run mainly utilitarian stuff and it’s served me well, I have to say. I have however been looking at some of the rather beautiful stabwood mods folk on here have, and am considering one, especially now I have found a custom maker up by Loch Fyne near to my other house in the West of Scotland.

I have a few questions which I hope members can help with.

1. Do you use them when you are out and about as daily drivers, or do they need special care so you only use them at home?

2. I had a hand made wooden squonk mod a few years ago and the wood didn’t stand up well to leaks or coming into contact with e liquid which eventually jammed up the fire button. As stab wood is made using a resin - is it impervious to this?

3. Is stabwood prone to cracking over time?
And finally with reference to the Pumper squonk mod - the bottle and pump system is proprietary so is it long lasting and does it have any common faults?

Many thanks in advance for any information you can offer.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

Up til this year I have run mainly utilitarian stuff and it’s served me well, I have to say. I have however been looking at some of the rather beautiful stabwood mods folk on here have, and am considering one, especially now I have found a custom maker up by Loch Fyne near to my other house in the West of Scotland.

1. Do you use them when you are out and about as daily drivers, or do they need special care so you only use them at home?

2. I had a hand made wooden squonk mod a few years ago and the wood didn’t stand up well to leaks or coming into contact with e liquid which eventually jammed up the fire button. As stab wood is made using a resin - is it impervious to this?

And finally with reference to the Pumper squonk mod - the bottle and pump system is proprietary so is it long lasting and does it have any common faults?

I've got a Spruzza with a pump system. Only had it for a while so no way of telling how long it will last. Wish I knew. Guess it would work with a tank on top though.

Reactions: Falconeer

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
I've got a Spruzza with a pump system. Only had it for a while so no way of telling how long it will last. Wish I knew. Guess it would work with a tank on top though.

I have been looking at these and OMG I am impressed with how they can look!

The genuine reason I ask is that I laid out $300.00 USD and 120 Euros a few years back and ended up with two things that died PDQ.

I'd love to go beyond utiliarian ...

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Do you use them when you are out and about as daily drivers, or do they need special care so you only use them at home?
For the last 5-1/2 years, I've been using a wooden squonker as my ADV daily. It goes everywhere with me. It's not stabilized wood. It's just natural walnut. There's a reason that walnut is also popular for rifle stocks. It's been dropped and abused and has the character marks to prove it. You can see a picture of it that I took at its fifth anniversary here.

I had a hand made wooden squonk mod a few years ago and the wood didn’t stand up well to leaks or coming into contact with e liquid which eventually jammed up the fire button. As stab wood is made using a resin - is it impervious to this?
Is stabwood prone to cracking over time?
Not all "stab wood" is created equal. Being something of a wood (including stabilized) mod aficionado, and having hung around the threads here where all my wooden mods were made, I can tell you that the species of wood, as well as the quality of the stabilizing that was done makes a huge difference when it comes to the durability of the mods. Hence there is no blanket answer to these questions.

Here's some of my collection:

IaPwi1y.jpg

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

As you've seen, I have a fixation with the Pumper 18 mod :thumbs:
    After a year of daily use, I've had no issues with the pump mechanism or the bottle. You can still get replacement bottles, which are the entire 'pump' unit:
    $18.68 Authentic Squeeze Bottle for Pumper-18/21 Mod - 8ml / stainless steel + PC at FastTech - Free Shipping
    The bottle case are made from PC. The pump is ss with squonk tubing
    9670301-5.jpg

9670301-6.jpg

If you end up with no functioning pumper bottle, there's no reason why you can't just use a standard squonk bottle inside the pumper instead.

Modifications would need to be made. For a start, making a larger side opening so you squonk the bottle. And the metal 510 feed pipe is wider than what a standard bf mod 510 pipe uses. So wider silicone tubing would also need to be found, and perhaps a funnel type setup into the squonk bottle.

Regarding the stabwood: Nourish it often with mineral oil or Howards Feed & Wax polish:
    Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish & Conditioner | Howard Products
    And follow that up by using Renaissance Wax:
    Renaissance Wax

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Regarding the stabwood: Nourish it often with mineral oil or Howards Feed & Wax polish:
    I do that with natural wood mods, but it makes no sense to me at all with stabilized wood, which if stabilized properly, has ever pore complete filled with impervious resin through and through.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I do that with natural wood mods, but it makes no sense to me at all with stabilized wood, which if stabilized properly, has ever pore complete filled with impervious resin through and through.

I've got no idea if it's correct to do it, or not. For me personally, it just gives the mod some protection from my zealous over-squonking

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    As you've seen, I have a fixation with the Pumper 18 mod :thumbs:
    After a year of daily use, I've had no issues with the pump mechanism or the bottle. You can still get replacement bottles, which are the entire 'pump' unit:
    $18.68 Authentic Squeeze Bottle for Pumper-18/21 Mod - 8ml / stainless steel + PC at FastTech - Free Shipping
    The bottle case are made from PC. The pump is ss with squonk tubing
    9670301-5.jpg

9670301-6.jpg

If you end up with no functioning pumper bottle, there's no reason why you can't just use a standard squonk bottle inside the pumper instead.

Modifications would need to be made. For a start, making a larger side opening so you squonk the bottle. And the metal 510 feed pipe is wider than what a standard bf mod 510 pipe uses. So wider silicone tubing would also need to be found, and perhaps a funnel type setup into the squonk bottle.

Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish & Conditioner | Howard Products
    And follow that up by using Renaissance Wax:
    Renaissance Wax

Many many thanks for taking the time to put together your most comprehensive post, giving me all the information I needed plus Care and Feeding hints and tips.

I've taken notes and saved your post for when I jump later in the year.

Thanks again - much appreciated!

Reactions: AngeNZ

borno

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 31, 2019
    land of pleasant living
    I like the looks of the pumper it's shaped like my wasp nano bf mods which fit the hand really nice. I stuck with a few luna's because of the simple bottle system. Two of my luna's are mosaic and definitely resin infused, but one is a wood burl (like a pipe) and I did rub some Tung oil into that one. No problems so far, but I've only been squonking for about a year.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    I like the looks of the pumper it's shaped like my wasp nano bf mods which fit the hand really nice. I stuck with a few luna's because of the simple bottle system. Two of my luna's are mosaic and definitely resin infused, but one is a wood burl (like a pipe) and I did rub some Tung oil into that one. No problems so far, but I've only been squonking for about a year.

Again thanks - I like the shape of the Pumper very much as it resembles that of Kanger's Drip box which is why it's under srong consideration but I suspect I'll dip my toe in the water with a Luna first as you've done for the same reasons.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA

My absolute favorite squonk mod that I own and I have some DNA squonks is my asmodus spruzza. And the reason I love it is it's squonk system. I love that all I have to do is slide a little piece of glass up pour my juice in and close it I don't get any juice on myself which with every other kind Even the ones that I have that are top fill or bottom fill I still end up with e-juice on me. I can't tell you if it's going to last forever because I've only had it for a couple months. They do sell extras of the mechanism which are easy enough to put in and at least in the US right now asmodus is having like a permanent 60% off sale.. I wish I had bought like five other spruzzas because they're all I use now with RDAs. I'm going to cry if something happens. Like literally I will be on here begging for someone to sell me theirs lol.

Anyhow I have a few stab wood mods including the spruza I use mineral oil on them but there's better methods I'm sure and you can also put like a form of wax to seal it. But I figure if my cutting board keeps water tight with mineral oil so will this.

I don't take any of my mods outside of the house I take all in ones and little cheap jammies and pods outside of the house. But that's just me. I don't see why you couldn't take a stab wood outside however if you do a custom-made one I would probably keep that in the house just because they are expensive and they're pretty and if you drop it from a height while getting out of your car that could present a problem for any mod. I have stab woods that cost $5 on sale all the way up to $90 so all of them relatively cheap and I haven't had any of them split or splinter. The resin that's in there really keeps it together nicely

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Again thanks Ava - this is all adding to my fund of knowledge - when looking at what is available I have noted that Spruzza and even in the UK its price isn't too bad.

I'm a bit wary of taking "good mods" outside myself as they have a habit of miraculously flying out of my pockets even though now I tend to keep devices in those soft sunglasses cases with the snap together tops - my iSticks tend to be the outdoor weapons of choice and they have the scars to prove it!

Reactions: AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Again thanks Ava - this is all adding to my fund of knowledge - when looking at what is available I have noted that Spruzza and even in the UK its price isn't too bad.

I'm a bit wary of taking "good mods" outside myself as they have a habit of miraculously flying out of my pockets even though now I tend to keep devices in those soft sunglasses cases with the snap together tops - my iSticks tend to be the outdoor weapons of choice and they have the scars to prove it!
    I realized once I posted that it was one long run-on sentence so I'm sorry I edited it while you were reading lol. I think the spruza is fantastic I could not recommend it enough it is my favorite squonk. And it's not very high price... And while I don't take my stuff outside I have stood up with my spruzza on my lap and I have thin indoor/outdoor carpeting without padding in the room that I hang out in the most so it fell right on the floor at a relatively high speed because the reason I was jumping up was cuz one of my cats was hacking. and the doors flew off the battery stayed in the mod and there was zero damage. So it seems pretty hardy. They include like a extra door and seal to the squawk box thingy. I never thought that I would enjoy this mod so much I just got it cuz it was on sale and something that I didn't have now I wish I had gotten a bunch I really do now they're sold out where I was going to get it lol

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I realize there was one thing I forgot to mention. I got my spruzza on a very deep discount sale from Asmodus. I'm assuming that only the really basic stuff was left over and they had given out the really beautiful stab wood before to full paying customers maybe. but my stab what is extremely plain it is just solid purple with a few brown flecks I still love it but if you want a really spectacular piece you're going to need to buy one of their like displays. I've seen the red and the blue stab wood seem to come out with more a variations than the purple a lot of people who got the purple pretty much just got a solid purple device with a few brown specks. So I thought I should mention that it's great it functions amazingly but it's definitely not the prettiest

• Love

Pigs

Vaping
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    Both the Pumper and Luna are excellent mods and great value for money.

I prefer my pumper for hand feel and the addictive pump mechanism but the Luna is great too and very hardy.

Keep in mind though that they're both unregulated mosfet devices. Plenty of dna driven stabwood mods out there if that's your thing and you want to spend a bit more. Vicious Ant an example.

@Daniel Forsyth knows a lot about both Asmodus and VA brands.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Both the Pumper and Luna are excellent mods and great value for money.

I prefer my pumper for hand feel and the addictive pump mechanism but the Luna is great too and very hardy.

Keep in mind though that they're both unregulated mosfet devices. Plenty of dna driven stabwood mods out there if that's your thing and you want to spend a bit more. Vicious Ant an example.

@Daniel Forsyth knows a lot about both Asmodus and VA brands.

It was looking at Daniel Forsyth's collection that got me interested - and boy what a collection he has!

I've ran mechs before and still have a few so no qualms there but thanks for the heads up!

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia

I apologize for the late reply Mate:thumb:
    So your getting yourself some Good Wood? Good Move;) Here's my :2c::2c:!

1. Personally I don't take my stabwood mods out of the house, they mean too much to me:) I do know of lots of other stabwood owners that will take there's out on a daily basis though so it all comes down to personal preference.

2. @AngeNZ has you covered on the squonk situation and also with the Pumper, I haven't squeezed my squonkers in quite a whileo_O

3. The only reason a stabwood mod would get cracked is a drop on a hard surface.
    What would be helpful is more resin content through the mod for added hardness and also a finish on the mod for added protection(preferably a lacquer) Ange's polishing tips are great:p
    I'm not sure what the humidity is like where you reside but stabwood is very prone to warping in high humidity. The same hints apply here, a good resin content and nice polish.

I wish you the best of luck on your special stabwood mod search, don't hesitate to give me a Yell if you need any help at all:thumbs:

Reactions: AngeNZ
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread