Steeping one flavor is neccessary??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017
Hey all good to be here.
Id like to ask if anyone knows if i make a juice out of one single flavor (any flavor) is there a neccessity to steep it at all? Cause maybe steeping is just for multiple flavors or is for mixing into the rest of the compnents.... no idea.
Sorry for the ignorance
Would appreciate the knowledge
thanks.

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
I think it depends on the flavor. On my first foray into DIY, which was a few years ago, I remember having a tobacco flavor that I liked as a standalone. It was TFA Desert Ship (don't even know if TFA still makes it). It was OK right away, then it would get this perfume taste to it after a day or two. But then after a week or so it was excellent.

I've been vaping TFA Apple Tart the last few days though, and you can just mix it and start vaping.

MartinD

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2017
I steep liquids one to two days if they are fruits, two weeks if they are desserts and a minimum of three, four weeks in the case of tobacco. There are flavors that are used immediately - Pink Spot for example.Which aromas did you think, which pg / vg ratio is your base and how much nicotine does it contain? Someone certainly made some of that and can help you to determine a starting point for dosing and steeping.

Poslato sa PRA-LX1 uz pomoć Tapatoka

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
This is one of those that’ll be based on your likes and dislikes. I’ve found that I prefer to give almost any mix at least a 24 hour steep. 3 days steep is a another I use frequently as it seems to be when a lot of fruity and sometimes candy types are ready to my taste. This is approximately how I steep but it’s not set in stone as some ripen quicker and some need more ageing...

1-2 fruits - some simpler mixes are tasty enough as a s&v (shake & vape) between 2 hrs to 1 day
fruits & fruity candy types - 1 to 3+ days
beverage & bakery without creams - 1 to 2+ weeks
bakery, gourmet or anything with creams or custards - 2 wks to 1+ month(s)
tobacco - while you can s&v, they become richer with time (I don’t use but found this in my research)

You’ll find that different people have different ideas of what a s&v actually is. While some take it as meaning you can vape it immediately after mixing, to others it means vapable about 2 hrs after mixing once it "settles”. Some also refer to shake and vape as one ready in 2 to 3 days of mixing.
The more intricate the mix, most likely, the longer the steep needed. While some custards need a month+, a couple might be ideal in a week. As @Letitia stated, brand and type really are vital in determining this, as is the flavors combined in a mix. Experience alone will be your best ally here to determine how you like your mixes to age:)

Last edited:

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
;)You may or may not be interested in this but when I first started DIY (a few months back) I had a lot of the same questions, which I brought here...
DIY Ejuice Q’s

Also, the links I shared with you previously, check the flavor concentrate reviews etc. A lot of times a suggested steep time will be added.

A link about steeping...
A Complete Guide to E-Juice Steeping

If you prefer to watch &/or listen rather than read, there’s tons on youtube.
:DHappy Mixing!

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Tobaccos especially will require a week or two, maybe as long as 4 to 6 weeks to develop their full flavor. When first mixed the color may be light. After a month, the color darkens noticeably and the flavor becomes more robust. Shake the bottles daily until the mix is full of tiny bubbles.

I test vape the first week at least to taste the initial flavor. Some are good then and others get really complex and tasty the longer they steep.

What you are waiting for is the slow mixing of the flavor molecules with PG, VG, and nic. That happens slowly with some flavors and faster with others. A milk frother (Amazon) speeds up the mix maturity.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
Mixers do help the steeping process a bit IMO. I have a couple milk frothers. While these work great for many, I prefer a couple others. Badger & Norpro...

Badger Mixer
Badger 121 Airbrush Paint Mixer BAD121

Norpro Mixer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E39LYO/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When possible I use these to mix directly in my juice bottle, omiting a couple steps completely.
*The Badger is the one I use most frequently. It’s actually a paint mixer but does this job very well also. It takes mere seconds to bring your juice to a nice frothy mix, sending thousands of tiny bubbles whirling to let you know it’s mixed well.
*The Norpro is better for smaller mouth bottles and packs a lot of power for such a small tool. It also comes with several attachments. My favorite attachment is one which splits into 2 but are together, to easily fit into small openings. When turned on, each side flairs out and spins, mixing your juice in seconds with frothing and bubbles and all.
No matter how you mix your juice, you’re aiming to see all those tiny bubbles to know mixing is complete. Afterwards, as your mix settles, those tiny bubbles travel to the top and pop. This is the beginning of the steeping process. IMO we get many more or many less bubbles depending on our chosen method. It seems clear to me that the more bubbles to do their job, the more “steep” I’ll get at that time. Some people are concerned with flavor loss from using such devices. I’ve done personal tests mixing several ways and have found no flavor loss to report. I also found that a juice which I had previously waited a day to vape, IMO was vapable in approximately 4 hours when mixed with the Norpro or Badger. I like to at least give my mixes time to settle completely before deeming ready to vape. There aren’t many I like as s&v but s&v or not, mixing kicks off the steeping process and, depending on method, could possibly be accelerated by at least a few hours if not up to 20ish hrs IMO.

Last edited:

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
Ultrasonic cleaners are typically used to clean jewellery, retainers, lab equipment and more. Most have an option to clean with or without heat. So basically it’s a hot water bath steep. I’ve heard they get warm even without using the heat option and might be sufficient to help steep without being concerned with nicotine degradation...

Ultrasonic cleaning
is a process that uses ultrasound (usually from 20–400 kHz) and an appropriate cleaning solvent (sometimes ordinary tap water) to clean items. The ultrasound can be used with just water, but use of a solvent appropriate for the item to be cleaned and the type of soiling present enhances the effect.
Ultrasonic cleaning - Wikipedia

Youtube has many videos if you’d rather watch...
ultrasonic cleaner steeping - YouTube

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Ultrasonic cleaners are typically used to clean jewellery, retainers, lab equipment and more. Most have an option to clean with or without heat. So basically it’s a hot water bath steep. I’ve heard they get warm even without using the heat option and might be sufficient to help steep without being concerned with nicotine degradation...

Ultrasonic cleaning
is a process that uses ultrasound (usually from 20–400 kHz) and an appropriate cleaning solvent (sometimes ordinary tap water) to clean items. The ultrasound can be used with just water, but use of a solvent appropriate for the item to be cleaned and the type of soiling present enhances the effect.
Ultrasonic cleaning - Wikipedia

Youtube has many videos if you’d rather watch...
ultrasonic cleaner steeping - YouTube

I like a slosh of 91% alcohol and a shot of dish soap in the water when I put atomizer parts in the UC. The machine oil in a new atomizer dissolves pretty quickly when I do that.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
I like a slosh of 91% alcohol and a shot of dish soap in the water when I put atomizer parts in the UC. The machine oil in a new atomizer dissolves pretty quickly when I do that.
@Ethan diy I know several mixers who purchased ultrasonic scrubbers earlier in their DIY journey who now only use them to clean their gear, tanks, etc. So it’d be factual to say many of the elders have deemed them not worth the hassle of steeping their juice in one. Though it’d also be factual to say there are also a significant amount of mixers who swear by them. I know it’s not much help when I keep saying this, but it’s another personal preference based on your likes, etc.:)

(Elder: Any mixer with more experience than I;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread