Sterilization in homemade E-Juice and equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Bah hooey.

I am personally against all this "kill all the germs business.." I VOLUNTARILY and pay for the privilege to restore GOOD bacteria to my gut, because it makes my digestion and my brain happy. JILLIONS AND JILLIONS of bacteria.

I don't care about the five second rule and the floor is (usually) only marginally less clean than your plate. Possibly more TOXIC depending on what you clean your floor with.

BUT-- It takes a lot to kill you if you have a healthy immune system and I do mean a LOT.

I very specifically did not raise my son in germaphobia standards because it's healthier. It's better. It's good to have a healthy immune system. He played in a lot of dirt. He ate tadpoles (with my brother) from a local stream. I freaked out about NONE of it.

The place you are likely to most get sick is your local PCP's office, probably.

HOWEVER, with that said, you have to get a little sick every now and then and it won't kill you.

My little brother got salmonella in France and he got pretty darned sick but it did not kill him.

We've all gotten food poisoning I WILL BET, even though some may misidentify it as a stomach bug. FOOD GRADE is pretty darn terrible, actually. It's not clean at all and I worked at some PRESTIGOUS Georgetown MD restaurants. You'd be shocked at how the 5 second rule (or longer) may work, for a Chef. If it's annoying to make and recognizable still it gets heated, and back on your plate.

If anyone thinks McDonald's is clean, I feel bad for you.

But the good news is, with a healthy immune system there are really certain places where you need AUTOCLAVE clean and they mostly involve like serious surgery.

I like to know I make my ejuice because I know it will not be gross, to me. But that's more because I know what I'm making, not because I have a clean room.

DEATH is a lot less easy to achieve and you really have to work at it. Like I did with my 3ppd decades long smoking habit and I'm STILL not dead. Etc.

AN=na

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I remember back in the day we went by the saying "that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Sure, the people who said that never got hit by a car or had a piano fall on them (no way those make you stronger. Ask my brother after we lifted the piano off of him). But whenever the sewers backed up, it was swim time in my neighborhood. None of us ever got sick! We built up immunity the way the USA and Russia built up surplus nukes during the cold war. Oh sure, we nearly lost that one kid - Timmy Olsen, but he didn't get sick. He got pulled down an open sewer hole and got bit by a cooper head so they had to take the leg. But he didn't get sick. Three months later, he and his brother won the three legged race at the block party. It wasn't even close. Germs schmerms.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
We and our cat make a valuable contribution to a reasonable level of healthy uncleanliness around the planet. But I do sometimes clean the doorknobs and light switches.

I read somewhere that a computer mouse is a haven for bacteria, I just make sure I never lick mine.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
JNJWk9b.jpg
For those who do not speak German or are unfamiliar with German philosophers -
"What does not kill you, makes you stronger"

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
The temperature of the aerosol is less than the temperature of your coil. You aren't boiling it. It is just an aerosol.

If it was as hot as your coil, you would burn your throat.

That makes no sense. Your liquid is vaporized by heat. So your liquid has been raised to a sterilizing temperature by the coil. While it cools as you inhale it, it is passing through a section of your device that may or may not be sanitary. If that section is unsanitary then it will be contaminated regardless of what process your liquid has gone through, including whatever process your juice manufacturer follows.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
That makes no sense. Your liquid is vaporized by heat. So your liquid has been raised to a sterilizing temperature by the coil. While it cools as you inhale it, it is passing through a section of your device that may or may not be sanitary. If that section is unsanitary then it will be contaminated regardless of what process your liquid has gone through, including whatever process your juice manufacturer follows.

We all disassemble our RTA/RDA atomizers and wash them out when we recoil and rewick. Those parts are exposed during vaping to temps that are sufficient to kill most, if not all bacteria and viruses. The ejuice itself is antibacterial if it contains PG and/or Nicotine. When I vape at 10W in power mode or temperature control mode the temperature of my vape is about 420F. Of course, it cools before it reaches the mouth, but that's after the fact of sterilization.

I don't really worry about bacteria and viruses in my vape, but I do agree that the drip tip could benefit from a periodic cleaning, since it contacts the mouth and probably doesn't get heated as much as the coil deck, chimney, and upper atomizer parts.

A little juice in the mouth may not be a bad thing. We all get that once in a while. It may be antiseptic. :)

KatlandKat

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2012
Vancouver Island BC Canada
Been making my own E Liquid for 8 years now. Base mix in freezer (non defrosting box freezer), extracts in mini fridge and use 99% pure alcohol to clean everything. Use an ultrasonic cleaner that heats up to boiling point that I put some of the alcohol in with it for cleaning coils and other items like drip tips. This ultra sonic cleaner can be set for running up to 30 min. I think I am clean enough and store my items in decent ways. I like to know the coils are cleaned as best as they can be and storage of my mixing items in the safest way I can think about.
Any huge food or consumables companies have lots of issues with things not supposed to be there lol so I am fine with my set up and like to know exactly what is in my mix .......trusting a company more than myself just doesn't make sense. Also I do not trust E Liquid companies to continue to not add things into their mix as they see fit.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
We all disassemble our RTA/RDA atomizers and wash them out when we recoil and rewick. Those parts are exposed during vaping to temps that are sufficient to kill most, if not all bacteria and viruses. The ejuice itself is antibacterial if it contains PG and/or Nicotine. When I vape at 10W in power mode or temperature control mode the temperature of my vape is about 420F. Of course, it cools before it reaches the mouth, but that's after the fact of sterilization.

I don't really worry about bacteria and viruses in my vape, but I do agree that the drip tip could benefit from a periodic cleaning, since it contacts the mouth and probably doesn't get heated as much as the coil deck, chimney, and upper atomizer parts.

A little juice in the mouth may not be a bad thing. We all get that once in a while. It may be antiseptic. :)
Not everyone disassembles and cleans with every coil change. Some only wash their gear once or twice a year if at all. For myself a warm rinse. Only break down every two or three months. Will swab the chimney with alcohol occasionally.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Not everyone disassembles and cleans with every coil change. Some only wash their gear once or twice a year if at all. For myself a warm rinse. Only break down every two or three months. Will swab the chimney with alcohol occasionally.

I hardly ever douse my atty parts with alcohol, just once in a great while. Every time I change a coil or wick I dry burn and hot water wash before installing the new wick. If the coil isn't smooth and shiny, I replace it while I'm in there. If 212F kills germs in boiling water, I don't really loose sleep over sanitation for something that is constantly immersed in nic and PG with a coil heating it to a level that is much higher than boiling water.

From what I read, stainless steel isn't good for killing bacteria, so alcohol here and there is probably a good thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I'm the same, Letitia - except using alcohol. I don't even always rinse when rebuilding, unless it happens to be near empty. I clean & wipe dt's pretty good when I rebuild, but the way I figure it, any bacteria on it came from my mouth in the first place, so.......

I've never used anything stronger than hot water from the tap unless I'm trying to get rid of a flavor or something. Or maybe Dawn for a new atty that doesn't seem fully clean. I only disassemble to the extent of what I'd do to rebuild a coil.

Seems in my Kayfun days, disassembling was only an opportunity for more wear and tear, and possibly damaging orings. Now, if I stick with a particular atty for a really long time, with a lot of use, I might do more than a hot rinse. But I just don't see any reason to do it often. It's not like I'm vaping a juice that "spoils."

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Not cleaning because you don't want to damage the o-rings is a little like not wiping because you don't want to use a new roll or clog the toilet with toilet paper. ;) :D O-rings and toilet paper are cheap consumables. I have bags full of o-rings. (I also have rolls full of toilet paper ;) ) It only costs pennies to replace the o-rings. But despite my frequent breakdowns and cleanings, I rarely need to replace them.

When it comes to cleaning, my primary interest is getting rid of any biproducts formed from heating. That is why I clean frequently. Sterilizing is not the same as cleaning. Everyone has different standards and opinions about hygiene. I think some folks just don't want to take the time. Some don't care. And not cleaning even seems to be a bragging point for others --don't want to know if it's the same for bathing! ;) :D

Reactions: Fidola13

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Everyone has different standards and opinions about hygiene. I think some folks just don't want to take the time. Some don't care.
Heck, you shoulda seen what my ashtrays used to look like! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread