Sterilization in homemade E-Juice and equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Not cleaning because you don't want to damage the o-rings is a little like not wiping because you don't want to use a new roll or clog the toilet with toilet paper.
When it comes to cleaning, my primary interest is getting rid of any biproducts formed from heating.
OK, smoked - I like you, and enjoy your posts. Most are pretty intelligent (although your posts about disassembling and cleanliness can remind me of Bill Hartman's SNL ".... Retentive Chef" skit:)). But this post was a little more personal, seemed an attempt to ridicule me (emojis notwithstanding), and the analogy isn't your best work.

I don't go through the extra work because there's simply no benefit (that I'm aware of) to it. If I don't wipe, I'm pretty sure I'll suffer immediate and somewhat lasting repercussions (as will those in my immediate vicinity). Just as I don't routinely completely disassemble/sterilize/reassemble my coffeemaker/car/computer/you name it, I choose not to spend time going beyond what is necessary to clean my vaping equipment, and have suffered no consequences. What byproducts are you concerned about, exactly, and what do you believe they are going to do to you? I'd bet dollars to donuts that I could present you with two atties, one hot-rinsed, and one disassembled/washed/sterilized/reconstructed to your specifications, and you couldn't vape them and tell me which is which....even after months of use. Is there some vaping byproduct the rest of us haven't heard of that you are trying to avoid?

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
That makes no sense. Your liquid is vaporized by heat. So your liquid has been raised to a sterilizing temperature by the coil. While it cools as you inhale it, it is passing through a section of your device that may or may not be sanitary. If that section is unsanitary then it will be contaminated regardless of what process your liquid has gone through, including whatever process your juice manufacturer follows.

I'm someone who rarely cleans an attie past a quick rinse in water from the sink when I dry burn, so I'm obviously not too worried about microorganisms in my vape :)

However, I don't think the vaping process does much to kill off microorganisms. The problem is the time spent at high enough temperature to kill them is just not long enough, or the juice doesn't get hot enough for even a short time. IMO if our juices grew enough microorganisms fast enough to become a problem, it would be a problem for us unless we did something to control it. If this was the case we would all know about it.

I've vaped juice that was over two years old and stored at room temperature, used small amounts of lemon extract that was two years old and stored the same way and have never has an issue that I am aware of.

In my experience juice with our typical ingredients simply does not 'go bad' at room temperature on the shelf or in an attie.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
:censored:I agree with everything they said in the video. As I donned my tyvec suit, gloves and respirator, I stepped through the airlock into my iso 7 lab to make my morning coffee. I was thinking how most of the population gamble with their lives making food and drinks out in the open. People have turned into everyday daredevils. :eek:

• Winner
Reactions: DaveP

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
:censored:I agree with everything they said in the video. As I donned my tyvec suit, gloves and respirator, I stepped through the airlock into my iso 7 lab to make my morning coffee. I was thinking how most of the population gamble with their lives making food and drinks out in the open. People have turned into everyday daredevils. :eek:

In the past I was a devil may care kind of guy. Prior to this thread, I never worried about my bacterial laden liquid nor my contaminated atomizers. My eyes have been opened and you, my friend Asbestos, have become an inspiration to us all. No half measures for you!

• Agree
Reactions: Rossum

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada

So, um, no 5 second rule at your house?

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
The study (not the article) is interesting, and a little odd. First, even though it's a recent study, they chose the most popular products from 2013. They're testing for beta D-glucan, which itself isn't a harmful substance, but used as a marker to detect potential fungal infection. But Beta Glucan is actually used to promote the immune system to treat many things, such as high cholesterol, diabetes, allergies, hepatitis, Lyme disease, eczema, and even cancer. So, not being a medical researcher, I'm not quite sure what their presence in eliquid means.

And endotoxins - this publication states that it is an important component in the inflammation process, it also states that repeated exposure to low levels of endotoxin actually increases immunity.Endotoxin - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Endotoxin Tolerance
Endotoxin tolerance, mentioned earlier in relation to the airways, is another mechanism that is important in the gut (Fig. 2). Animals can survive a potentially lethal dose of endotoxin if they have previously received one or more sublethal doses, and in vitro macrophages that have been exposed to endotoxin respond differently when challenged again, with less release of TNF and reduced NF-κB translocation (Biswas & Lopez-Collazo, 2009). Repeated low-dose endotoxin administration in vivo leads eventually to increased Treg activity (Caramalho et al., 2011; Wang et al., 2015).

So I don't know...as always, I believe it'd be better to breath nothing but air. Seems the presence of these substances, like much medical news, gives contradictory info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread