Sterilization in homemade E-Juice and equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find it funny how this shop in Souther Illinois Carbondale is trying to spread hate about homemade juice, when the real fight is against big tobacco bois :-x

Lol but in all seriousness I think it is ridiculous that they are spreading hate and false facts about e juice. They stated something about how over time it could mess up your lungs or something with your heart. Which how can they say that if there are no studies on kitchen made juice?

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
That's ......ed. Basic food handling practices are all you need. It's just another dis-empowering message telling consumers citizens that they can't do it alone and need to pay professionals. Heard about the new rage in kitchenless condos where you're not allowed to cook on your own premises?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
That's ......ed. Basic food handling practices are all you need. It's just another dis-empowering message telling consumers citizens that they can't do it alone and need to pay professionals. Heard about the new rage in kitchenless condos where you're not allowed to cook on your own premises?

A kitchenless condo? What are they, hotel rooms? I hope they at least have a bathroom.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I fully agree with @Punk In Drublic about "You are only as clean as your dirtiest component!" And want to add that even though some juice is made in a clean room, as soon as you open it and introduce the air around you into the bottle. It now "contaminates" the bottle with whatever may be in the air around you. The juice is effectively no longer sterilized so, under normal circumstances, "sterile" juice will never make it to your tank/dripper.

I make all my own juice. I do so in my kitchen. If its clean enough for my food it's good enough for my juices.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
The temperature of the aerosol is less than the temperature of your coil. You aren't boiling it. It is just an aerosol.

If it was as hot as your coil, you would burn your throat.
Yes, but the juice has to reach a very high temp (i forget - 275F?) to become aerosol. Of course, it's not that hot at your mouth or lungs, though.

My wife is a clean freak, carries sanitizer everywhere, etc. She gets sick all the time. I'm not a clean freak, and get sick once every 10-15 years. I know that's not science, but I've read plenty of info over the last few years about how our (in the US) penchant for cleanliness over the last few decades has created an environment so our bodies are never exposed to enough to allow our immune systems to work as designed.

BTW, our kitchen sinks harbor way more bacteria than our toilets. I don't over worry about this kind of stuff. Unless I'm brewing my beer- yeast is far more sensitive than I am.

Mark Spivey

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Knoxville, TN
My wife, being a never-smoker/vaper, won't let me mix juice in "her" kitchen. :-x

I'm in the same boat except mine is extended to being anywhere in the house. That's why I have my man cave garage (cars sit outside). Everything gets wiped down with Clorox wipes before I start mixing and I wear gloves and take other precautions. All my main ingredients are USP certified with analyticals. All ingredients are kept either refrigerated or in the freezer until the night prior to mixing.
64038873be281a0bae71d2d48d46c45e.jpg

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
My wife, being a never-smoker/vaper, won't let me mix juice in "her" kitchen. :-x

I guess my wife may say the same thing, if I ever actually asked...

I make juice at night mostly, when everyone else is asleep and I can do it uninterrupted. So I'm not sure she has ever actually seen me making juice in the kitchen.

Mark Spivey

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Knoxville, TN
I guess my wife may say the same thing, if I ever actually asked...

I make juice at night mostly, when everyone else is asleep and I can do it uninterrupted. So I'm not sure she has ever actually seen me making juice in the kitchen.

With my wife it's the smell... she has a hyper sensitive olfactory.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL

Mine doesn’t mind, it’s much “cleaner “ than the home made fish food I made in the kitchen and infusoria cultures I kept on the windowsill :lol:

On a serious note, we had a good friend of the family who married a raving lunatic when it came to cleanliness. When you came into their house you entered through a mud room where you took off your shoes, everything was sterilized at least daily, etc. When they had children it got even worse. But... once those kids were old enough to mingle with the unwashed masses they caught every illness that passed within a mile of them, they were always sick as they had never built up any immunity to anything.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
With my wife it's the smell... she has a hyper sensitive olfactory.

That still trips me up with some things. I am smell blind, and occasionally neglect to realize some stronger smelling things linger. Some times not being able to smell is a gift and other times it is a burden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread