Still new to vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
Alot a problems believed to be caused by vaping are actually caused from cigarette withdrawals. Many believe switching to vaping makes them cough up stuff when in fact it's your lungs finally being able to clear out that old smoked lung. So unless your allergic to pg or vg most symptoms would probably be there without vaping while trying to quit smoking.

darkrose

Oct 23, 2014
East Ridge, TN
We've been at this awhile. Just had trouble sticking to it and giving them up completely. This time around I have to. If I smoke, my throat is killing me and I'm coughing bad. If I vape, I feel way better. And we are enjoying vaping. Dry mouth and insomnia are my issues, but I'm not a good sleeper anyhow, it's a battle for me. I want to do this, this time around. Thank you for the input, sounds very right.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
We've been at this awhile. Just had trouble sticking to it and giving them up completely. This time around I have to. If I smoke, my throat is killing me and I'm coughing bad. If I vape, I feel way better. And we are enjoying vaping. Dry mouth and insomnia are my issues, but I'm not a good sleeper anyhow, it's a battle for me. I want to do this, this time around. Thank you for the input, sounds very right.
You might give this a read.
A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Cigarettes are full of interesting chemicals besides nicotine. If I had to hazard a guess, you are probably detoxing from MAOI-A and MAOI-B, both of which are found in cigarettes and tend to be rather potent anti-depressant little buggers. I'm not saying MAOI-A and B are making you sleepy necessarily, but the lack of them may well be casing your brain to run around like a squirrel in hamster cage going, "WHERE IS MY INSERT WHATEVER CHEMICAL?" especially at night.

You have options: a) suck it up, keep quitting
b) smoke at night
c) get some WTA (whole tobacco alkaloid) eliquid and use that. It's expensive, so maybe at night
d) if you have access to Swedish snus (you probably do even in the US it's sold as "American general Snus) you could try that at night. It has WAY more alkaloids than even WTA liquid, would be my guess, and it's as good harm reduction as vaping, if not better.

Your main issue with snus may be it tastes a bit disgusting (at least it did to me, but I'd been off cigarettes and vaping a WHILE, I was returning to work and wanted an option for work other than vaping) but you kind of get used to it. Well, I did. It's handy and it works, it's cheap, and at might before bed, well, etc. It's made from the full tobacco plant (I do believe) so it may help.

Your cheapest option is riding it out, but if you can't well, those are some other options.

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
We are trying to give up cigs and totally switch to vaping. I believe it is causing me sleep issues, has anyone had this problem, will it get better.

I can Only speak for myself, but when I switched, I had a Hard Time getting a decent full night's sleep.

I would toss n' turn a lot. And seemed to have way Too Much Restless Energy.

e-Cigarettes can be Great to Help someone quit. Because not only do they give you the Nicotine you got from Smoking, but also the Hand-to-Mouth fixation that comes with Smoking.

But what e-Cigarettes Don't (thankfully) give you are all those Lovely Chemical Compounds that are created when Tobacco is burned along with the Added Chemicals that are in Cigarette Tobacco.

What Helped Me was to Drink a LOT of Water. And to get More Exercise than when I was Smoking/Dual Using.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I went through 2 such problems with sleeping. First, I was realy excited about how well vaping was working for me as a 40+ year heavy smoker, so excited that I had problem sleeping, and I had a lot more energy and less breathing problems so wasn't as tired at night. (In addition, my wife said I stopped snoring).

Later, as I began to need less nicotine, I was getting too much nicotine so that was causing sleeplessness...or what I referred to as running around like a headless chicken. Also, I read somewhere at the time that when the liver stops processing all of the chemicals in cigarette smoke, it does better processing caffeine and sugar. Had to cut back on caffeine and sugary drinks.

Dryness probably also played a role as drinking more made me have to get up more at night. (I'm and old guy, so that's kind of common for me to get up a wander around the house). Chapstick is your friend.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm going to have to try some of the suggestions and to keep at it, even if that means less sleep, and Wine.... it seems to be a issue during the week while I have to work dayshift.

Trust Me... A Week or 10 Days of Restless Nights is a Drag. But Never Smoking Another Cigarette in Your Life is More than Worth It!

Stick With it. You Can Make It.

:)

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
As others have said, dry mouth is a normal side effect and can be alleviated by drinking more water. I used to use ice cubes/chips to start with. Crazy part is as you drink more water it helps break up the crud in your lungs. Your smokers cough may seem worse for a short time
If at bed time you're not sleepy and wake often feeling slightly to fully rested that sounds like too much nicotine after a certain time of day. I found this out the hard way the first time I switched to vaping full time vs smoking.
Keep on keeping on and don't be in a hurry to get anywhere. The more you think about smoking, or lack of, the more those sneaky little bastidges sneak thoughts into the back of your head that just 1 more is the solution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I'm going to have to try some of the suggestions and to keep at it, even if that means less sleep, and Wine.... it seems to be a issue during the week while I have to work dayshift.

Maybe try vaping some 0 mg nicotine juice instead about an hour or so before bed. That’s what I’ve decided to do when someone mentioned nicotine is a stimulant when I was mentioning my insomnia.

darkrose

Oct 23, 2014
East Ridge, TN
I'm going to have to try some of the suggestions and to keep at it, even if that means less sleep, and Wine.... cause if wont ever get better if I give up.
Trust Me... A Week or 10 Days of Restless Nights is a Drag. But Never Smoking Another Cigarette in Your Life is More than Worth It!

Stick With it. You Can Make It.

:)
Yes, cause its turning into a bad cycle now, trying not to vape at nite, then of course I smoke. If I go to 0 nicotine, I will definitely be smoking. I think I have more energy and feel better when I'm vaping. And I do consume a huge amount of caffeine, I ain't going to lie. I'm also a mt dew junkie, in the process of switching to water and tea. So I guess I got alot of changes to make. I'm a past suffering of aniexty, doesn't bother me as much now, but I have to take meds to sleep. So this is going to be alot of trial and error for awhile. But im determined to quit.

Bolivar

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Surrounded by cows and wheat
Great idea. I may try that next time I need an e-juice restock. Right now I use 6 all day and 3 in the evenings.

I switch to 0 after dinner. I keep a pod with nic handy if I get jittery, and a poke or two off the pod takes care of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread