Status
Not open for further replies.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
I'm curious if mech mods are still popular. I only ask because I'm not using mine anymore (all either VapourArt or byLeo bodMecha).
I checked the classifieds to see if there were any posted there and there aren't.
So before I go through the trouble of posting a classie, is there not much demand for better mech mods or are people just holding on to theirs?

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I personally think that there is as much demand as always, but there are just so many ways to vape nowadays compared to just a few years ago.

Small 18350 set ups are in “fashion” at the moment. I have to say since decent 18350 batteries have been released that I am quite keen as well.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
My understanding is that after the deaths involved inold mechs blowing up and killing their users, popularity has dropped. It is still not zero. Mech mods are seeming to take on some of the same appeal as fire arms where their users wave them around and attempt to use them as indicators of their exactitude and confidence in their ability to not make dangerous mistakes.
Also like firearms they occasionally blow off body parts doing so, and the general public has a poor opinion of them doing their waving in the vicinity of others which increases by location as personal confines get closer and the possibility of said waver hurting bystanders as well as themselves increases.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
In my mind mech's are enjoying a bit of a resurgence.

Anybody who started with mech's back in the day still vapes on one or two at least occasionally (except the op :) ) and frankly there is something about the form factor and feel of a mech that makes them a lovely thing just to have :)

There are so many devices around now that no one sticks with one type of set up, though, after all variety is the spice of life :)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
LOL. Well maybe instead of posting them for sale I should turn them into my local law enforcement agency.
They’re not useless. I kept mine. There are advantages to them. You can get a lot of power in a small package, and because there’s no electronics they tend to last potentially a really really long time.
I keep one empty mech out to use as an atty stand, and the others are boxed up in case of vapeoccalypse.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
In my mind mech's are enjoying a bit of a resurgence.

Anybody who started with mech's back in the day still vapes on one or two at least occasionally (except the op :) ) and frankly there is something about the form factor and feel of a mech that makes them a lovely thing just to have :)

There are so many devices around now that no one sticks with one type of set up, though, after all variety is the spice of life :)
I noticed you marked my post “disagree” but did not actually disagree with any of the points I made.

I’ll disagree with your statement about occasional mech vaping and “everybody”. I’d say it’s a good bit less than everybody. Mechs are a lot more work to use, have the famous “balloon problem” of continuously dropping power, and require more knowledge and equipment.

Thisreminds me a bit of a famous Australian comedian’s bit on US gun laws, in which he says that the best argument for gun ownership is “I like guns”. It really is a pretty good argument. Mechs are a lot less dangerous than guns. Even if the user messes up and through a series of foolish actions manages to make himself a bomb it’s lethal radius is still pretty small. Merely stand 6 or 8 feet from one and you’ll probably be fine.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I noticed you marked my post “disagree” but did not actually disagree with any of the points I made.

I’ll disagree with your statement about occasional mech vaping and “everybody”. I’d say it’s a good bit less than everybody. Mechs are a lot more work to use, have the famous “balloon problem” of continuously dropping power, and require more knowledge and equipment.

Thisreminds me a bit of a famous Australian comedian’s bit on US gun laws, in which he says that the best argument for gun ownership is “I like guns”. It really is a pretty good argument. Mechs are a lot less dangerous than guns. Even if the user messes up and through a series of foolish actions manages to make himself a bomb it’s lethal radius is still pretty small. Merely stand 6 or 8 feet from one and you’ll probably be fine.

I didn't address your points because I didn't feel like sparring with you today..but jeez your analogy is so off beam.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Love mine and still use a couple every day.

I guess they are less popular now-a-days, and there are a lot of fear mongers that will try to steer you away from mechs, but I have at least 8-10 tube mechs that I will never part with, and continue to use. My tube mechs are also my insurance policy on possible overzealous regulation of vaping gear in the future.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I basically started with mech tube mods 6 years ago, have a truckload of them and 'box' mech mods (far more GP PAPS than other tube's; far more Reo's than other box or TC mods). I do use some of my 2X700 regulated squonk mods, but still prefer the mech squonk mods over them. So now days I mostly only vape mesh RDA's on squonk mech and squonk regulated mods.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
@newyork13 You were asking if mechs are still popular, yes? In my opinion they are. As to what extent, I have no clue. I have a few mechs around still. But that depends on what kind of mechs you're referring to as well. A LOT of craze has come over with squonking (AKA Bottom Feeding). And who wants to potentially ruin a chip if the bottle (or the fittings) starts leaking into the board housing? So people usually opt for good old mechanical mods for this purpose. As for tube mods, series mods, and parallel mods, they do still have a place, although not as sought after as they used to be from what I can see.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
as i type this i have a mech in one hand and a handgun in the other. later on i'm going to nitrate some of my blackberry flavored glycerin.
I support your right to do so. You can’t get into my car with the them though. It’s my car. Your car is your car. Do whatever you want.

Reactions: stols001

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
JPEG_20190330_112639.jpg

Don't judge me for my German made Taifun GT IV atop my Rig v3.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't see mechs losing any popularity ... plenty still out there, and new ones coming out all the time. I have four set up beside me at the moment: three mech squonks, one mech pipe. I do have a few tube mechs, but don't really care for the ergonomics of bottom-button operation so they don't get used much.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
well. I didn't intend to generate so much disagreement amongst friends!
It’s one of the hot buttons currently. Differing and strongly held opinions

So far as I can tell hot buttons include but are not limitled to:

-General quality of pod systems compared to other types of vapes
-safety of mech mods
-safety and effectiveness of supersubohm exotic coils
-anything involving US national politics. This one is so bad there are site rules on it.
-Product quality issues of SMOK mods
-safety of “protonated” or “salts” eliquids vs. “traditional” or “unprotonated” or “freebase” liquids.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My first "real vape" was a mech (2012) and I still keep it in a drawer. I haven't used it in a couple of years mainly because I don't rebuild coils any more and prefer being able to adjust my vape "on the fly" with a regulated mod. There is also that "debate" that a regulated mod is a bit safer than a mech, which I happen to agree with in principle. (@dripster or anyone else, don't bother arguing with me as I'm not in the mood today)

I don't know if mechs are losing popularity or not, but in my circle of family and friends who vape, and what I see being used when visiting my local vape shop, I rarely see anyone with a mech any more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread