Stinkin' Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
Since I still consider myself a baby DIY'er, I have a question about nicotine. I ordered 500 ml of 100 mg nic back in November. When I got it, it was very clear, tasteless and only a slight odor. I kept it in the freezer in small bottles and keep the small bottle I'm using in the frig. It has turned a light amber color and I know that's normal but what about smell? It has developed a stinky odor like dirty socks and it keeps getting stronger. I've noticed my last few bottles of mix haven't tasted as good as they did when it was new. Is it normal for the nic to start stinking? I'm wondering if it's safe to use now. I have a brand new bottle on the way and should be here tomorrow. I have been very careful to not contaminate it. I always draw the nic out in a clean syringe and the cap it up immediately and take it back to the frig. Anyone else have this happen?

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
From this past Nov ? so your saying its like 3-4 months old ? heck it should still be pretty clear and fresh in that amount of time, especially being kept in the freezer. I've had a test going for going on 2yrs now with Nic in the Freezer and I'm not going to get into all of that but this surprises me, are you sure your cap on your bottle was on really tight and no air was getting in this bottle ? I could see a light amber tint maybe in that 3-4 month range but that's it. Something isnt right and the only thing that I can really think of outside of your lid maybe not on tight is this = The Nic you purchased in Nov was on sale from where ever you purchased it and it was old to start with is this a possibility ? I would lean more towards this then anything because freshly sourced Nic kept in the Freezer isnt going to turn a dark golden color in that amount of time frame, at least the Nic I buy doesnt Lyndagayle

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
the only prob i have with nic is always from the same vendor... Ihave some bottle that i didn't even open and as time pass by it's getting more and more amber. i don't even know why i keep it....

I've got 100ml nic I bought in dec I think...mixed it all down to 36mg and stored in the freezer in clear pint canning jars. I take a jar out at a time and keep it in a drawer until I use it up, then take out the next. A slight golden tint, but it's crystal clear and hasn't darkened noticeably since I bought it. NO smell. Problem is, if it smells, can you imagine what it's going to taste like? :O

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
That is why I order 250ml at a time and reduce it down to 30ml bottles with limited air inside and then put them in the freezer. The small extra bit is mixed and vaped - taste test for the new purchase... When I mix I take out one 30ml bottle, mix the whole bottle and vape it. Exposure to air, light and any other contaminants can only happen twice this way - once at the vendors and the second time when I break it down to the smaller bottles... I pulled out a 5 month old bottle last week - still crystal clear...

If your bottle is half full - how many times have you opened it? And it only being half full means that it is exposed to half a bottle of air - 24 hours a day. I also would bet it was a little old when you got it, but you said it was crystal clear so it could not have been to old...

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
Now I'm getting worried-- I bought from more than one vendor recently. Its probably a little late Lynda but did you consider writing the vendor with some feedback on your problem? If nothing else they ought know something wasn't right with that batch because truly I've had small bottles sitting out for a couple months without a smell like you described.

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
Now I'm getting worried-- I bought from more than one vendor recently. Its probably a little late Lynda but did you consider writing the vendor with some feedback on your problem? If nothing else they ought know something wasn't right with that batch because truly I've had small bottles sitting out for a couple months without a smell like you described.

I agree...I would.
From everything I've read (and I've read a LOT) there's nothing unsafe about it, but it's certainly not going to be a pleasant vape, that's for sure :(

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
When you say you stored it in small bottles, would that be brown or cobalt blue glass bottles? That would be the best choice along with polyseal caps. Color change is due to oxidation which, you guessed it, needs oxygen to do that. If the nic was stored in plastic, especially the LDPE, they are not air tight and can absorb odors from your freezer through the bottle. Brown, Blue, Green or any dark opaque glass bottle with a tight fitting lid and the least amount of head space, is your friend when storing nicotine long term.

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
I had it in a small glass jar with an outside latch that tightens an air tight seal on it. There's quite a bit of air space in it now because I've used a lot of it. I'll be able to compare it with my new bottle coming in tomorrow because it's from a different vendor. I'll know in a few months if that's the norm . My main concern was if it is still safe with a strong smell like that.

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
When you say you stored it in small bottles, would that be brown or cobalt blue glass bottles? That would be the best choice along with polyseal caps. Color change is due to oxidation which, you guessed it, needs oxygen to do that. If the nic was stored in plastic, especially the LDPE, they are not air tight and can absorb odors from your freezer through the bottle. Brown, Blue, Green or any dark opaque glass bottle with a tight fitting lid and the least amount of head space, is your friend when storing nicotine long term.

True that, and just my opinion but all sales arent always the best of buys in my opinion, I would rather pay a bit more and have fresh on hand then buying stuff that is 4-6 months old where someone over bought in the first place and then passes it on to you. You can always ask the vendor for lot number and born on date before you buy too :) I would rather buy 250ml's at a time every 3 months or so and re up then buy 1000 mls and take a year to use it myself. All in all though a little color change isnt going to hurt to much, fill those bottle up to the top and use the glass, and dont over buy more then your going to use in 90 days is probably best as long as you have a vendor your happy with who always has good Nic fresh nic on hand this way you dont have to take up to much freezer space, only worry is if regulation happens then where uhm screwedddddddah so its a coin toss as far as what to do in this case, I only have extra in my freezer because I have been doing a storage test for a long time, I do buy once every 3-4 months usually

Last edited:

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
I have to say everyone has their preferences, and mine is to keep my freezer stocked with nic...just in case. There have been plenty of posts written where people have successfully stored nic in their freezers for a year without any change in color, smell or flavor. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
Like I said - breaking it down to small bottles (the amount you would mix each time) and then using those completely one at a time while the rest are storing in the freezer just makes sense - I have mine stored in the colored bottles, stored in an opaque plastic container back in the back of the freezer (did not want a bunch of bottles always getting knocked over as we used the freezer). Been using it once a month for 5 months no - no change in color and no change in smell.

Added note - the bottles I have received in the past have the date on the bottle with the lot # and date the nic was processed. I have bought from two vendors - both had this info on the bottle. Neither were over a month old when I got them. Neither were bought on a 40% off sale. Both vendors I have bought from have comparable prices - a dollar or two difference, but one has cheaper shipping - both have great reviews on this forum so I tried them. Small quantity the first time (60ml) and larger (250ml) the second time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread