Stop Vaping...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
I'm going to Japan in November for a week and a half. I'm grateful that I've noticed the same thing as I most certainly would not be bringing my vape around. Maybe my suorin drop if I'm still using it by then because it's much easier to stealth but I don't think I would use it very much. I certainly don't want to come off as disrespectful. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to go without a vape though because I'll be visiting the very places I'm the happiest. ❤️

I'd carry a pen type just in case.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
This is so true for me too...I'm amazed how I can go without a vape for so long and so easily. Perhaps its the way the nicotine is still in my system? I can't seem to explain that lack of desperation.
Yup. Totally different when you aren’t craving all of the other crap found in cigarettes.

I have a 5.5 hour Toronto to San Fran flight on Monday and getting a nic fix likely won’t even cross my mind. I used to stand outside the airport and smoke a couple of cigarettes like a maniac before I get on a plane and lit one the second I was in a smoke friendly zone. Totally different now, which is amazing.

Not to mention the fun involved in smoking while staying in a hotel in the winter..... getting dressed, taking an elevator downstairs, standing in the snow freezing, another elevator, etc. and repeat every hour or less. Don’t miss that gong show. :thumb:

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I'm going to Japan in November for a week and a half. I'm grateful that I've noticed the same thing as I most certainly would not be bringing my vape around. Maybe my suorin drop if I'm still using it by then because it's much easier to stealth but I don't think I would use it very much. I certainly don't want to come off as disrespectful. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to go without a vape though because I'll be visiting the very places I'm the happiest. ❤️

The Japanese are heavy smokers I hear... Wonder how popular vaping is there?

Ketsuban can update since he probably knows better. Last I knew was that Japan are huge analog smokers but not vapers. A friend of a friend who lived in Japan a few years back told me that only juices without nic were available so back then vaping was not readily accepted.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I've posted elsewhere how I can leave my vape if I go out to the store and be fine --unlike analogs when I was a crazy person if I did not have one for any length of time. So no plans to quit at this time. But I could --- if I wanted to.

I was thinking of your post Today while I got ready to Run some errands. So I left my On-the-Go Mod on my desk.

Went to Staples to get some File Folder Boxes
Goodwill with a trunk full of Old Clothes and stuff that came out of Old Boxes
PO to turn in Netflix DVD's
Hit the Gas Station for some Fossil Fuel
Grocery Store for $136.84 worth of Groceries

It felt Different not having my SxS Mod on my Belt. I haven't been Out n' About in about 8 Years with a Mod on me or in the Car.

But it Wasn't all that different. And I noticed that I Didn't Rush in when I got home to take a Huge Hit or anything. Just put the Groceries away. Checked on the Cat. Checked my e-Mail. Browsed what was possible Tivo-able tonight.

Then had a Huge Hit.

LOL

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I'll never *quit*. I may stop vaping. But, I'll always keep a couple of rigs set up and ready to go. Besides, of course, saving my stash just in case. I refuse to set myself up to go back to smoking!

Although I doubt I'll ever stop vaping in the first place.

To me smoking was the addiction. Anything that you can't stop no matter the cost is an addiction. And, it made me angry that it had control over me.

I don't resent vaping. I see it as a miracle! A miracle that stands between me and smoking.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I don't "resent" vaping at all nor did I intend to come across as if I do. I am very thankful for vaping as it got me away from the smokes.

However, we are not over the smoking addiction so long as we need to vape in order to stay off the smokes. We might be away from the smokes, but we've conquered no addiction if we need to vape in order to not smoke.

I want to conquer - not settle for lesser harm. Do people chew nicotine gum for life? Or wear patches? Or take meds for life to keep off the smokes?

I want to do whatever I do by choice, not because I'd smoke cigarettes otherwise. ...

Hope that makes sense.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Vaping dog walk, one of my favorite pastimes 3/4 of the year.

Gotcha.

BTW - Here is my Favorite On-the-Go Mod. Would be perfect for Vaping Dog Walking.

tesla_40w-jpg.662255

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, Opinionated, you are a braver woman than *I*. I actually do admire when folks stop vaping if that is their desire....

I do feel like I have "conquered" my smoking obsession by switching to vaping, but I haven't conquered what was a very lengthy love affair with cigarettes. Even though vaping (mostly) doesn't make me want to smoke them, I remember with a great deal of FERVOR what it was like going cold turkey while pregnant and nursing. I still have no idea how I did that, because I felt the same about smoking on day whatever at 18 months when my kiddo weaned himself as I did on day one. "I can't wait to smoke." I felt that way the entire time, even on no nic, gum, patches and etc. It was pretty distracting at times.

My motivations are mostly different this time (for me) but I am glad that I told myself if I could get to vaping only I would be satisfied. I think it might have been too overwhelming to even TRY vaping again if I hadn't. Cigarettes still smell good. I am fairly certain that if I quit vaping I would return to cigarettes. Not the first day, not the first month, but at some time in the future.

Perhaps there will come a time in which I feel differently, in which case I may try quitting vaping. IDK. But at the moment, the very idea terrifies me, and while I certainly understand I am "addicted" to nicotine and to vaping, I find it a less harmful addiction, and for everyone who saw me smoke, that was just fine with them (and me). I love vaping (in part) because I do feel it's a lifelong change I can make that satisfies me, and does improve my health, though it certainly has its issues.... I'm okay with being "addicted" to a safer delivery of "whatever it is that is satisfying enough...."

I do actually know quitters who've taken up the gum habit feeling it "less harmful" and then have been unable to give up the gum. I knew a couple of them, actually and kind of wonder if they are vaping yet...

Anna

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Well, Opinionated, you are a braver woman than *I*. I actually do admire when folks stop vaping if that is their desire....

I do feel like I have "conquered" my smoking obsession by switching to vaping, but I haven't conquered what was a very lengthy love affair with cigarettes. Even though vaping (mostly) doesn't make me want to smoke them, I remember with a great deal of FERVOR what it was like going cold turkey while pregnant and nursing. I still have no idea how I did that, because I felt the same about smoking on day whatever at 18 months when my kiddo weaned himself as I did on day one. "I can't wait to smoke." I felt that way the entire time, even on no nic, gum, patches and etc. It was pretty distracting at times.

My motivations are mostly different this time (for me) but I am glad that I told myself if I could get to vaping only I would be satisfied. I think it might have been too overwhelming to even TRY vaping again if I hadn't. Cigarettes still smell good. I am fairly certain that if I quit vaping I would return to cigarettes. Not the first day, not the first month, but at some time in the future.

Perhaps there will come a time in which I feel differently, in which case I may try quitting vaping. IDK. But at the moment, the very idea terrifies me, and while I certainly understand I am "addicted" to nicotine and to vaping, I find it a less harmful addiction, and for everyone who saw me smoke, that was just fine with them (and me). I love vaping (in part) because I do feel it's a lifelong change I can make that satisfies me, and does improve my health, though it certainly has its issues.... I'm okay with being "addicted" to a safer delivery of "whatever it is that is satisfying enough...."

I do actually know quitters who've taken up the gum habit feeling it "less harmful" and then have been unable to give up the gum. I knew a couple of them, actually and kind of wonder if they are vaping yet...

Anna

It's a personal thing really - many people are happy to vape instead - and I also personally find vaping enjoyable. Love the flavor etc etc.

I just want to know I can put it down at any time without returning to smoking... :) I did manage 5 months vape free without returning to smoking and I'm proud of that.

But yeah - I don't recommend anyone try it without keeping their gear... tuck it away or whatever, but keep it all!

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
That's what my wife calls it, and she has me calling that as well....is your wife from England too?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Funny! Nope, both native Washingtonians, but sometimes I wonder about her:rolleyes:
Im a hard core coffee drinker, as any good Starbucksonian would be, shes content with her tea and crumpets:blink:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
However, we are not over the smoking addiction so long as we need to vape in order to stay off the smokes. We might be away from the smokes, but we've conquered no addiction if we need to vape in order to not smoke.
OK. I understand now.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I was thinking of your post Today while I got ready to Run some errands. So I left my On-the-Go Mod on my desk.

Went to Staples to get some File Folder Boxes
Goodwill with a trunk full of Old Clothes and stuff that came out of Old Boxes
PO to turn in Netflix DVD's
Hit the Gas Station for some Fossil Fuel
Grocery Store for $136.84 worth of Groceries

It felt Different not having my SxS Mod on my Belt. I haven't been Out n' About in about 8 Years with a Mod on me or in the Car.

But it Wasn't all that different. And I noticed that I Didn't Rush in when I got home to take a Huge Hit or anything. Just put the Groceries away. Checked on the Cat. Checked my e-Mail. Browsed what was possible Tivo-able tonight.

Then had a Huge Hit.

LOL
You were gone for a good while - feels good not to freak out. I have an on-the-go one that I use as well and had left it home. I even have extra stuff in my purse for super emergencies but didn't take that either - just my phone wallet...lol. I hear you about the huge hit -- still not as desperate as analogs :) :)

Last edited:

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I still need my pacifier, won't even walk the dog without it. Speaking of which I need a single 18650 mod for vdw.
Maybe you will get there, and maybe when you walk your dog you notice or will notice that you are not even vaping but are simply happy you have it on you. That's how I was at first. Always in hand. Mine is almost always nearby but as you can see from some of our posts there is a big difference for some of us if we accidentally forget it. In any case we should all be proud to be off analogs!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You were gone for a good while - feels good not to freak out. I have an on-the-go one that I use as well and had left it home. I even extra stuff in my purse for super emergencies but didn't take that either - just my phone wallet...lol. I hear you about the huge hit -- still not as desperate as analogs :) :)

I think so much of this is a Factor of Time. Because there was a Time when I would have Freaked Out if I forgot my Mod or it Stopped Working.

But I haven't felt like that for Many Years. Vaping today is more of a Habit. Verses more of a Need.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I dont smell, my car doesnt smell anymore, I have reasonably better breath that I used to.

That is what I love about my homemade "Winter's Frost" juice (Wintergreen with a cooling agent). It tastes and smells like a Wintergreen Breathsaver mint. Freshest breath ever.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I don't "resent" vaping at all nor did I intend to come across as if I do. I am very thankful for vaping as it got me away from the smokes.

I want to conquer - not settle for lesser harm. Do people chew nicotine gum for life? Or wear patches? Or take meds for life to keep off the smokes?

I want to do whatever I do by choice, not because I'd smoke cigarettes otherwise. ...

Hope that makes sense.
It does to me - I totally hear what you are saying. For me, I am happy with the healthier substitution that vaping offers. I also think that should I want to quit vaping that I would have a much easier time. I never once in all the decades I smoked analogs tried to quit I guess because I did not really want to and because I thought it would be too hard. I was in a sense selfish because I just did not want to stop doing something I enjoyed.

Then it got to the point after so many years that I decided I wanted to stop smoking. I know I would never even have tried (unless maybe I was ill or something) if I did not learn about vaping. Now that I have been vaping for years I have noticed that, for lack of a better word, I am not so "crazy" when I do not have my vape around, I've gone way way down in nic and I really think that I could stop. Again - maybe selfish but I do not want to. I like it.

Today I have been busy with house stuff and I have misplaced my vape a few times...lol Then I go into a mild panic looking for it but I was fine until I noticed.

As far as the gum, patches and stuff -- I guess it is like methadone for some --- lifelong. I don't know...

• Love
Reactions: Opinionated

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
A friend of a friend who lived in Japan a few years back told me that only juices without nic were available so back then vaping was not readily accepted.

In that case (given the limited quantities of liquid you are allowed to bring on a plane) it might be advantageous to bring a 50ml bottle of pure 100mg nic base. That way you can buy as much 0nic in Japan as needed and just add some nic to it. That 50ml 100mg would allow him to make over 800ml of 6mg/ml liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread