Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That is a nasty coil to try and wick with Rayon as you cant get it tight enough without massive coil deformation.

Uniformity of the coil build plays a big factor in the vape quality/performance as well.
Massive deformationis the way or coils that large. It’s a primary problem.

Reactions: stols001

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
6mm ID 22ga wicked with Rayon, it all depends on the wire.

iDAvmMpl.jpg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
6mm ID 22ga wicked with Rayon, it all depends on the wire.

iDAvmMpl.jpg
The point is to use thin wire though. 28ga is actually really too thick already and it still isn’t strong enough which is why I went with square. Ideally it would be 32ga but I don’t want to mess with the ceramic rod thing

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Just for comparison you might try a 2.5mm SS316L coil with 8 wraps for a resistance of around 1 ohm. I like Sally's Rayon. I just cut off a 2 inch long piece from the roll and pull it apart for the width I need and put the rest in a ziplock for future use.

I flip back and forth between 2mm and 2.5mm. 2mm makes a coil that requires thinner wicking for atomizers that have smaller juice wells. 2.5mm works fine, but for smaller decks you might need to fan and trim the tails to fit the width of the juice wells.

For me, Cotton expands and Rayon tends to compact and shrink as the juice wets it. The fibers are finer than cotton and I trim the tails to make them contact the deck squarely. I look for light to medium drag with Rayon as I pull the wick through the coil.

Something like this is what I end up with using Rayon. Just tuck the ends in the juice wells.

69478-79dda0959b505cd7be6f61db347b6ea4.jpg
That’s a lot of effort though. Easier to fit them in the holes then trim and thin them. More error resistant. The biggest problem with the aromamizer is it’s a pita to wick and flow juice without leaking. Pulling the deck and trimming it from the bottom after the wick is through the juice hole simplifies things immensely. You deliberately overdo the cotton and then thin it down to a useful level.

There’s literally no worry about exact wick length or size because it’s all done after the fact. You start too long and shorten as needed.

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
The point is to use thin wire though. 28ga is actually really too thick already and it still isn’t strong enough which is why I went with square. Ideally it would be 32ga but I don’t want to mess with the ceramic rod thing
Thin wire and Rayon is a bit of work. In the early days of TC we would wick 30ga Ni200 coils with Rayon using the double insertion method.

Split the wick in half and feed each half into the coil from the opposite sides. Pulling the wick through evenly from both sides at once until it was snug in the coil. Then you can fine tune the loop spacing with a pick or jewelers screwdriver.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Rayon has to be tight in the coil, very tight, it shrinks with use and can pull away from the coil giving the impression of a dry hit.

Rayon transports juice from the most dense to the least dense section, tail that are too thick can actually pull juice away from the coil. Tails must be thinned out.
sort of. You’re making too much of liquid cohesion it think.
You do not pull wick through the slots of a Plus deck, the ends of the wick just rest in the well barely touching the bottom of the well.
I do. I do it all the time. I did it this morning even. Works great.
Sorry for the horrible webcam pics.

3.5mm ID coils with tails thinned 40%. I fold what will fit of the tail lightly down into the well and trim the upper excess off a few mm from the edge of the coil, sticking it down to the rest of the tail when priming the coils.
View attachment 815127

Ends of the Rayon are just resting on the inside floor of the juice well.
View attachment 815129
[/QUOTE] I’m sure it works, but you have to know beforehand exactly how long to trim the wick and measure it by eye. That’s sort of the definition of a pita wick. My method isn’t designed to be “best” it’s designed to be simple and error resistant. That last 5% of performance wasn’t worth hunting for imho.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I guess if it works for you to pull tails through the slots. That is not how it was designed to be wicked, there is very little room between the deck and the bottom cap for any wick.

Rayon is not cotton and you don't wick it like cotton. You basically need to forget everything you know about wicking with cotton when using Rayon.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I guess if it works for you to pull tails through the slots. That is not how it was designed to be wicked, there is very room between the deck and the bottom cap for any wick.

Rayon is not cotton and you don't wick it like cotton. You basically need to forget everything you know about wicking with cotton when using Rayon.
I don’t know about designed to be. It seems easiest though. At least for me. I’d basically given up on the aromamizer entirely until I chanced on this method.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah um, that is all wrong I'm afraid. "Tight" in the wick does not mean, "As much as you can stuff in there. All kinds of wrong.

Things you can do with coil like that: drench your rayon wick with VG ahead of time, and slide it in and leave it a little roomy. You will still nee to thin the tails.

Stabilize it by using a straight piece of wire inside the coil as you GENTLY and I do mean gently pull the rayon through. It does not need (actually SHOULD NOT BE) so insanely tight or your wick will break in the middle early and often. I've had that little problem.

Rayon, you just have to experiment once you get the hang of it you will love it.

Your tails are not acceptable. LOL like seriously too much in that dual setup, thin them in a sort of wedge shape starting near the coil and increasing thinning as you go.

Keep messing around. Also if you fire your saturated coil (I always saturate mine to help me tuck properly, you should fire it a few times and you will avoid that lovely rayon taste.
Anna

Reactions: DavidOck

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yeah um, that is all wrong I'm afraid. "Tight" in the wick does not mean, "As much as you can stuff in there. All kinds of wrong.
perhaps. Still, the increased fiber length of rayon makes pluck style thinning problematic for this deck.
I still like rayon for the profile. It’s perfect for that.
Things you can do with coil like that: drench your rayon wick with VG ahead of time, and slide it in and leave it a little roomy. You will still nee to thin the tails.

Stabilize it by using a straight piece of wire inside the coil as you GENTLY and I do mean gently pull the rayon through. It does not need (actually SHOULD NOT BE) so insanely tight or your wick will break in the middle early and often. I've had that little problem.

Rayon, you just have to experiment once you get the hang of it you will love it.

Your tails are not acceptable. LOL like seriously too much in that dual setup, thin them in a sort of wedge shape starting near the coil and increasing thinning as you go.
too short?! That’s the photo I think. They stick out a good 1/8th inch from the bottom of the deck
Keep messing around. Also if you fire your saturated coil (I always saturate mine to help me tuck properly, you should fire it a few times and you will avoid that lovely rayon taste.
Anna
Nah. Rayon might be great for the profile or other attys but I’m not liking it much for the way I build aromamizer pluses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread